ADVERTISEMENT

San Diego State getting it's own stadium

USC and UCLA both play off campus.

The LA Coliseum is literally across the street from their campus. It would be like if Heinz Field was in South Oakland. OK, not on campus, but across the street and closer to the heart of their campus than probably 95% of on-campus stadiums so I am sorry but USC's counts as on-campus.

UCLA, you are right, is not on campus but they are the sole tenant in arguably the nation's most iconic football stadium so their situation isn't exactly Pitt or Miami.

BTW, I cannot believe with all of Beckham's stadium trouble, there was never much thought given to a joint MLS/Hurricanes stadium.

USC and UCLA both play off campus.
I’m confused by what exactly “your own stadium” meant though. UCLA plays off campus out in Pasadena, but nobody else calls the Rose Bowl home. So I was thinking maybe he meant USC, as the Rams are also playing in the Coliseum right now. UCLA doesn’t own the Rose Bowl though, so maybe that is what was referred to?

Sdsu will be sharing the stadium with a soccer team that was the original idea.

Expecting Pitt to build their own stadium is almost as crazy as expecting Bob Nutting to increase the Pirates payroll to the league average. In both cases, they are getting free money and telling people better things are coming.... And people believe them. So why make the investment?

So, where is the current SDCCU stadium? Is that what they now call the stadium previously shared with the chargers? If so, not much closer to campus than Heinz Field

I’m confused by what exactly “your own stadium” meant though. UCLA plays off campus out in Pasadena, but nobody else calls the Rose Bowl home. So I was thinking maybe he meant USC, as the Rams are also playing in the Coliseum right now. UCLA doesn’t own the Rose Bowl though, so maybe that is what was referred to?
Honestly I didn’t know USC was that close to the coliseum and didn’t know they had purchased it.

Honestly I didn’t know USC was that close to the coliseum and didn’t know they had purchased it.
From Wikipedia:
"The stadium is located in Exposition Park, which is owned by the State of California, and across the street from USC. The Coliseum is jointly owned by the State of California, Los Angeles County, City of Los Angeles and is managed and operated by the Auxiliary Services Department of the University of Southern California."

From Wikipedia:
"The stadium is located in Exposition Park, which is owned by the State of California, and across the street from USC. The Coliseum is jointly owned by the State of California, Los Angeles County, City of Los Angeles and is managed and operated by the Auxiliary Services Department of the University of Southern California."

Correct. See the other thread about the so-called "USC stadium".

I would put a new stadium to the right of Blvd of Alllies over looking the river and south side facility. It would have access from Bates and a ramp off Forbes. There is already one hotel across the street and it would revitalize the area.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Sdsu will be sharing the stadium with a soccer team that was the original idea.

San Diego would like and MLS team to play there but it will be SDSU's stadium and the chances seem very bleak that San Diego will become team #30 for MLS. Though, 10 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if an MLS team was playing in that stadium.

This is my problem with PITT and commitment.
If PITT admin is committed to football ( they aren't) they would build an on campus stadium.
The lack of space and other excuses are exactly that excuses!
Gallagher isn't a football guy so as long as he's at PITT football is at risk!

The un-committed PITT admin loves the current situation playing at Heinz field.
If they decide to drop football which I think they will in the next five years they have
no/zero fixed costs, or facility write-offs to deal with.

The reason PITT went off campus was because they aren't committed or sure they want to
be a football program long-term.

Reactions: pitt_fb_9x1
So, where is the current SDCCU stadium? Is that what they now call the stadium previously shared with the chargers? If so, not much closer to campus than Heinz Field

I live in SD so I know this pretty well. Yes it’s the stadium where the Chargers used to play, in Mission Valley and about 4 miles from SDSU’s campus. It’s very easy for students to get to it though, the freeway system out here makes it so you just hop on the freeway for a few exits and it takes only about 5 minutes. Pitt students getting to Heinz Field from Oakland is much more of a pain.

If PITT admin is committed to football ( they aren't) they would build an on campus stadium.

If they decide to drop football which I think they will in the next five years they have

The reason PITT went off campus was because they aren't committed or sure they want to

Pitt doesn't need an on-campus stadium necessarily. They just need a smaller one.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
I would put a new stadium to the right of Blvd of Alllies over looking the river and south side facility. It would have access from Bates and a ramp off Forbes. There is already one hotel across the street and it would revitalize the area.

I know right where you are talking about and I have always thought that would be the ideal location for an on campus/campus adjacent stadium as well.

I’m not sure if they could get all of that land, but if they could, it sure checks a lot of the other boxes regarding ingress/egress, potential parking, etc.

Pitt is investing more money into athletics than ever before because of the ACC money and new ACC Network, but yet you think they are going to drop football in 5 years. You should seek help for your past concussions.

Last edited:
San Diego would like and MLS team to play there but it will be SDSU's stadium and the chances seem very bleak that San Diego will become team #30 for MLS. Though, 10 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if an MLS team was playing in that stadium.

Yeah, I actually don’t think this is going to be for an MLS team. A 35K seat stadium is pretty big by MLS standards. They have made a few other situations with larger stadiums work (Seattle, Atlanta, etc.), but those are the exception, not the rule.

In fact, I’m pretty sure that the final two bidders for that land were San Diego State University and a group that was trying to claim that land for soccer-only purposes — and a mixed retail development. I think they were calling their proposal “Soccer City” or something like that.

This is going to be primarily for Aztec football and, as someone else mentioned, an extension of San Diego State’s campus.

I am having a really hard time imagining Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania ever doing anything like this for Pitt. This would be like the Steelers and Pirates leaving the North Shore and Pittsburgh/PA just gifting all of that otherwise valuable land tax free to Pitt.

It’s difficult to even fathom.

Last edited:

I think we are talking about same area - I’ve always thought the area between Blvd of Allies, bates and craft or maybe Ophelia would be perfect location. There’s nothing really great building-wise there. It’s also not terrible on accessibility. Definitely better than doing anything on upper campus.

I think you’d also see more re-development of the area across the Blvd of Allies where there’s a bunch of rum-down looking houses.

There would definitely need to be some added parking decks on the end though. Just not a lot of room for surface lots.

When I was in Charlotte for the Continental Tire Bowl several years ago now, there were small parking lots all over the area for tailgating. It wasn’t one or two giant parking lots right next to the stadium like we are used to. It was smaller lots all throughout the area and then you just walked a few blocks over to the stadium.

It was honestly wonderful. I really like Charlotte.

I could easily envision something similar happening all over South Oakland. Maybe you turn the green opposite the Cathedral into something along the lines of what Ole Miss has with the Grove?

Pitt is investing more money into athletics that ever before because of the ACC money and new ACC Network, but yet you think they are going to drop football in 5 years. You should seek help for your past concussions.
They'll keep football to get that ACC money for funding those other sports that they care about. But he's right... they don't care about winning football. And the move to Heinz most certainly did set things up very easily to drop football afterward. Though at the time, it was more seriously considered, because our conference situation was worse and there wasn't as much downside to drop it. Now, if we drop football, forget those glittery dreams of chick LaCrosse stardom.

I know right where you are talking about and I have always thought that would be the ideal location for an on campus/campus adjacent stadium as well.

I’m not sure if they could get all of that land, but if they could, it sure checks a lot of the other boxes regarding ingress/egress, potential parking, etc.
Have you ever been there at rush hour?? And the people who own those parcels would demand millions for hovels. Horrible location.

They'll keep football to get that ACC money for funding those other sports that they care about. But he's right... they don't care about winning football. And the move to Heinz most certainly did set things up very easily to drop football afterward. Though at the time, it was more seriously considered, because our conference situation was worse and there wasn't as much downside to drop it. Now, if we drop football, forget those glittery dreams of chick LaCrosse stardom.
He thinks Pitt is going to drop the football program within 5 years. That is one of the dumbest things that has been posted on here. Pitt has a small, cheap fanbase. That is why we don’t spend more money.

I haven't done any research on this ( mostly because I don't care enough), but a couple of questions off the top of my head.

When does the contract with the Steelers/ Heinz Field end?
Are people talking about building a stadium AND practice facilities all in one?

I imagine that it would be hard to keep the relationship with the Steelers if you build a new stadium.

It will probably take more than building a stadium and finding parking.

The actual reason was to double and triple our revenue due to premium seating .

But we have a bunch of posters on these forums who love to talk about how wealthy they are-
Yet Pitt remains at the bottom of power 5 in athletic donations.

Seems surprising

Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT