ADVERTISEMENT

San Jose State holds WMU to 23 points

This was also a San Jose St team that had to play the late game in Hawaii the week before, make the long flight home then fly across the country again for an early game a few days later. Probably one of the bigger travel odysseys you will see any team have to endure this season.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Another way of looking at it:

WMU won 23-3.

What difference does it make how many points the San Jose offense scored on the WMU defense? It is irrelevant. The purpose of this post is to point out the historically bad defensive coaching performance in that game and how FCS and mid-majors can hold WMU under 30.

What difference does it make how many points the San Jose offense scored on the WMU defense? It is irrelevant. The purpose of this post is to point out the historically bad defensive coaching performance in that game and how FCS and mid-majors can hold WMU under 30.
Sometimes the number of points a team needs to score influences how many points they actually do score?

The point is that part of the reason they scored so many points is because we scored so many points and scored so fast.

Comparing scores is really irrelevant, so many different factors in each game. The only thing that really matters is that we lost.

Yes and sometimes defensive coaches have historically bad games.
Don’t disagree with that what so ever.

I have posted many times that both last years defense and this years defense should never give up more than four scores a game and not all touchdowns.

That is 24 tops, not 44.

Don’t disagree with that what so ever.

I have posted many times that both last years defense and this years defense should never give up more than four scores a game and not all touchdowns.

That is 24 tops, not 44.

It is so Pitt to match historical offenses (2016, 2021) with horrible defenses. Could we just have been average vs WMU or the entire 2016? If our D was average in 2016, we go 12-0

Same as Illinois State. Honestly, in the history of Pitt football, that was one of the worst defensive coaching performances we've ever seen. They ran 2 plays and we had no chance of stopping it
Agree with you on how bad the defense played. But are you gonna dwell on that loss all year?

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
It is so Pitt to match historical offenses (2016, 2021) with horrible defenses. Could we just have been average vs WMU or the entire 2016? If our D was average in 2016, we go 12-0

Doubtful.

The 2016 Clemson win was a great win, but Clemson took the exact same approach to the Pitt game that Pitt did last week against WMU. They totally underestimated their opponent and Dabo, being the game day clown that he is, thought it was somehow a good idea to throw the ball around the goal line with the game in hand instead of run clock and kick an easy FG to put the game on ice.

It's hard to say you should be undefeated if an entire unit is just average.

Doubtful.

The 2016 Clemson win was a great win, but Clemson took the exact same approach to the Pitt game that Pitt did last week against WMU. They totally underestimated their opponent and Dabo, being the game day clown that he is, thought it was somehow a good idea to throw the ball around the goal line with the game in hand instead of run clock and kick an easy FG to put the game on ice.

Hubris contributed to our victory.

Don‘t know which is worse, hubris or stubbornness?

Hubris contributed to our victory.

Don‘t know which is worse, hubris or stubbornness?

I think both probably contributed to Pitt's loss. I think the staff thought they could pull away from WMU mostly relying on the offense.

I thought the defense played with either a half-hearted effort, or they were still gassed from the Tennessee game. They obviously didn't get much help from the coaching staff. And I don't think they are very good right now tbh. They are a work in progress.

The defense sucks and will get exposed again this weekend. Even worse, our jackass of a headcoach will make no adjustments and stand baffled on the sideline as he did in the WMU game as GT runs only a few plays that our defense can't stop.

I'm assuming San Jose's coaches watched the Pitt film and made adjustments as well.

I'm assuming San Jose's coaches watched the Pitt film and made adjustments as well.

Pitt was able to watch to see how Illinois State limited WMU to 28 points also.

And to the other poster, yes, I am going to dwell on this loss all year. I was down in Knoxville feeling good about this team for once and then they come back home and get nearly half a hundred hung on them by a team picked 3rd in the Western Division of the friggin MAC.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
Arizona should have hired him instead of Fisch.
It’s funny you say that, was a topic of discussion with me and an ASU alum the other day who was overjoyed they hired Fisch. The job Brennan has done at SJSU hasn’t been discussed enough, that was more of a reclamation project from the dead than just about any in the entire country.

Reactions: TD_6082
Doubtful.

i disagree our offense was on fire that day and he felt and knew they needed points because they had no answer for our o. imo he did exactly what he should have, put the foot on the gas not play wanny ball. its my he has won n.c.'s and wanny is 10 years removed and on the studioi

It’s funny you say that, was a topic of discussion with me and an ASU alum the other day who was overjoyed they hired Fisch. The job Brennan has done at SJSU hasn’t been discussed enough, that was more of a reclamation project from the dead than just about any in the entire country.

I agree on San Jose State. People don't understand how hard it is to take a dead program and build it to championship level. Its hard enough to go from dead to 6-6. That's another reason why I didn't understand why Norvell was so attractive for simply maintaining the Memphis program that Fuente raised from the dead. VT got the guy that built up a dead program and FSU gets the guy who just maintains it???

i disagree our offense was on fire that day and he felt and knew they needed points because they had no answer for our o. imo he did exactly what he should have, put the foot on the gas not play wanny ball. its my he has won n.c.'s and wanny is 10 years removed and on the studioi
Nooo. Dabo totally screwed that game all to hell. That game was at a point to where Pitt had almost no legit chance to win outside of some help from Clemson, and Dabo couldn't possibly have helped Pitt any more than he did that day. Throwing it around on the goal line up 8 with only 5 minutes to go was totally idiotic. Keep it on the ground at milk clock or force Pitt to use their timeouts, you either get a rushing TD or at the very worst, go up 11 with 3 & change left.

This wasn't a matter of keeping the foot on the gas. This was total shit-for-brains decision making by Dabo. Instead of an 11 point lead with 3 minutes to go and a Pitt team that would have exhausted it's timeouts, Clemson found itself up 8 & Pitt with the ball at Clemson's 30, still very much in the game.

Last edited:
Pitt was able to watch to see how Illinois State limited WMU to 28 points also.

And to the other poster, yes, I am going to dwell on this loss all year. I was down in Knoxville feeling good about this team for once and then they come back home and get nearly half a hundred hung on them by a team picked 3rd in the Western Division of the friggin MAC.
I know that’s my point. Most coaches make adjustments. Ours are the exception. Also not sure how much tape Pitt had of WMU. But San Diego state had a whole game of slate passes to absorb and review.

Nooo. Dabo totally screwed that game all to hell. That game was at a point to where Pitt had almost no legit chance to win outside of some help from Clemson, and Dabo couldn't possibly have helped Pitt any more than he did that day. Throwing it around on the goal line up 8 with only 5 minutes to go was totally idiotic. Keep it on the ground at milk clock or force Pitt to use their timeouts, you either get a rushing TD or at the very worst, go up 11 with 3 & change left.

This wasn't a matter of keeping the foot on the gas. This was total shit-for-brains decision making by Dabo. In stead of an 11 point lead with 3 minutes to go and a Pitt team that would have exhausted it's timeouts, Clemson found itself up 8 & Pitt with the ball at Clemson's 30, still very much in the game.
Hubris

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT