ADVERTISEMENT

Schenley HS vs Syracuse in TBT right now

Yeah that kid can play. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I thought he wanted to get away. But if we did not recruit him, we certainly missed the boat on that one.

Starting to wonder if we recruited DJ Kennedy also we may have just well made the Final 4.
if they don't go 22-22 from the line, we make the final four. We had everything on that team and if you look at big guy's offensive numbers that second half of the season, he was putting up 15+ a game. With Young and him, you had two guys that could drop 20 points a game, no problem. That was it, that was our year. God forbid if Gilbert brown does anything on that last play or you try and make Reynolds catch the inbound pass not running full speed towards he hoops. Hindsight I guess.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
That loss to Nova for me and it is not even close, is the hardest loss I have ever experienced as a Fan in any sport. Only other loss that comes close is the Pirates loss to the Braves with Sid Bream sliding home for the winning run.

Just a total absolute gut punch losing that game. Nova was good but there is no way you can convince me they were the better team. Simply no way.

if they don't go 22-22 from the line, we make the final four. We had everything on that team and if you look at big guy's offensive numbers that second half of the season, he was putting up 15+ a game. With Young and him, you had two guys that could drop 20 points a game, no problem. That was it, that was our year. God forbid if Gilbert brown does anything on that last play or you try and make Reynolds catch the inbound pass not running full speed towards he hoops. Hindsight I guess.

They were actually 22-23. So they did miss a FT. I know right? I mean even if they shoot an excellent 85% which would be 19-23, instead of an insane 96%, we move on. Oh...hell, this has been rehashed so many times.

Did anyone watch this game? Blair is kind of a shell of himself now. But Kennedy and Kane are still really good, Kennedy in fact might be a better player now than in college. Lots of love for Schenley HS last night. Great to see the Syracuse players (Devondork was on this team and same with Trevor Cooney) lose again to a Pittsburgh based team.

They play Thursday night for all of the marbles.

We had everything but a solid 2 guard. One that doesn't mindlessly dribble over the center court line and into a perfect trap with Pitt up 3 late.

That loss to Nova for me and it is not even close, is the hardest loss I have ever experienced as a Fan in any sport. Only other loss that comes close is the Pirates loss to the Braves with Sid Bream sliding home for the winning run.

Just a total absolute gut punch losing that game. Nova was good but there is no way you can convince me they were the better team. Simply no way.
Add Bob Moose's wild pitch and David Volek to the mix. Oh, and Alfred Papunu.

Yeah that kid can play. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I thought he wanted to get away. But if we did not recruit him, we certainly missed the boat on that one.
Dixon wanted him, but the kid said he wanted out of Pgh. Later changed his mind, but we had no scholies left.
That JOTS team with Blair, Pope, Pryor, Kennedy & Onion Bryant was stacked.

Dixon wanted him, but the kid said he wanted out of Pgh. Later changed his mind, but we had no scholies left.

Schenley, as a public school that is not a magnate school nor recruits, had a pretty impressive collection of talent with Blair, Kennedy, Bryant and Kane. Think about it:

Kennedy had two seasons of averaging 15 ppg at St Johns in the then yet to be imploded Big East. He scored 32 in a BET tourney game.
Blair was Big East ROY and became a 1st team All Conference and 1st team All American.
Kane was CUSA freshman of the year, then at Iowa State was All Big 12 and 3rd team All American.

How many HS's, even the big Prep Schools have 3 of 5 starters become all conference level players in college, all major conferences too.

Onion Bryant should have made it somewhere. I'm guessing the classroom kept him from going anywhere.

Onion Bryant should have made it somewhere. I'm guessing the classroom kept him from going anywhere.
Pryor looked awesome...great athlete, great instincts......57th degree Mason. Blair wasn't moving well at that point, but you could see the greatness.Pope was....tall. Didn't seem to try hard.

I attended the Nova and Butler losses and I feel Butler was far worse.

Way worse. Not even close for me. Nova beat us twice that year, they were the better team, or at least a very bad matchup for us.

The Butler game is an abomination. As much as I will always love Dixon, Pitt essentially getting a shot clock violation after JD didn't call a timeout on offense with a minute left, and then JD calling a timeout to set up defense, with the late Andrew Smith getting a wide open layup after the TO was about the worst sequence the coach ever had.

And that was even before the Nas fiasco. Pitt was the better team that day, Wisconsin and Florida were not strong opponents in the Rd of 16-8, and the 9 seed in the BET won the national championship. That tournament was the worst, and for some Pitt fans, the end of their support for Dixon. I don't agree, but I understand their position.

I said that back then....too bad he waited so long, and we ended up with Jermaine Dixon.
Dixon was the worst 2 guard in the city that year. RMU's Jeremy Chappell was a much better player, and if he had been on Pitt, the team would have reached the Final Four. Aaron Jackson was vastly better than Dixon, and Pitt might have won the whole thing with him in the backcourt with Levance.
If Dixon just makes Reynolds catch the ball going away from the basket, he probably ends up chucking up a prayer from 35 feet. Instead, he tries to deny him the ball, gets juked out of his shoes, and allows Reynolds to have a clear path to the paint.

Last edited:
It is amazing, watching the championship game last night, you forget that most of these guys get better if they are playing basketball overseas. They mature. Which leads me back to Ben and Jamie's first really good teams, where we had 22-23 year olds beating alot of 18-19 year old future NBA players.

Also watching some of these players, a Darryl Kennedy or a Kyle Fogg (Arizona) and how good they are, just really highlights how great of a player you have to be to play in the NBA. Though the NBA's one biggest drawback in my mind, they lean too much towards "potential" rather than "production" in many cases. And it also shows a 22 year old Senior can still improve just as much as a 19 year old Freshman can.

Way worse. Not even close for me. Nova beat us twice that year, they were the better team, or at least a very bad matchup for us.

The Butler game is an abomination. As much as I will always love Dixon, Pitt essentially getting a shot clock violation after JD didn't call a timeout on offense with a minute left, and then JD calling a timeout to set up defense, with the late Andrew Smith getting a wide open layup after the TO was about the worst sequence the coach ever had.

And that was even before the Nas fiasco. Pitt was the better team that day, Wisconsin and Florida were not strong opponents in the Rd of 16-8, and the 9 seed in the BET won the national championship. That tournament was the worst, and for some Pitt fans, the end of their support for Dixon. I don't agree, but I understand their position.

Yup. The Nova loss upset me more in terms of eliciting an emotional response, but I was also one year out from college and way more invested in the team. But the Butler loss was worse. That Nova team had Pitt's number.

I was an infant during the bream play. So the only thing close was pitt/Cincy 09 and it's very close for me between the two. Freshman year and we're having a great time in the student section, snow falling and all and pitt is crushing cincy. At one point while still half buzzed I just looked at the scoreboard and thought wow, we are seriously going to the sugar bowl.

It was devastating. In march, Pitt is denied the final four on the worst ending you could ever lose a hoops game by. A few months later in December, the worst way you could even think of losing a football game denying the team a bcs bid. I can't even choose, just the weight of both of them that close together was as bad as it gets in sports.

Reactions: GrowthHormone
I was an infant during the bream play. So the only thing close was pitt/Cincy 09 and it's very close for me between the two. Freshman year and we're having a great time in the student section, snow falling and all and pitt is crushing cincy. At one point while still half buzzed I just looked at the scoreboard and thought wow, we are seriously going to the sugar bowl.

It was devastating. In march, Pitt is denied the final four on the worst ending you could ever lose a hoops game by. A few months later in December, the worst way you could even think of losing a football game denying the team a bcs bid. I can't even choose, just the weight of both of them that close together was as bad as it gets in sports.
48-14 is the worst.

Reactions: Pittx9
The Blair, Kennedy, Kane Schenley team is one of the most talented teams ever to come out of Western PA. They have to be Top 3. Midland with 2 pros is probably #1, but Schenley has an argument.

Blair - Stud in College and Played in the Pros
Kennedy - Good College Player and Has Done Very Well Overseas
Kane - Very Good College Player and is Doing Well Overseas

The Blair, Kennedy, Kane Schenley team is one of the most talented teams ever to come out of Western PA. They have to be Top 3. Midland with 2 pros is probably #1, but Schenley has an argument.

Blair - Stud in College and Played in the Pros
Kennedy - Good College Player and Has Done Very Well Overseas
Kane - Very Good College Player and is Doing Well Overseas

I was thinking that.

I was really impressed with Kane. He is really tough and competitive. Also, I though DJ was silky smooth and wish he would have played at Pitt. Fogg is sweet.

I attended the Nova and Butler losses and I feel Butler was far worse.

I agree for two reasons. First, Nas fouling was a bigger gut punch than Reynolds making a big play. Second, I just like the '11 team better. They played the most beautiful offense. Wonderful ball movement, dazzling passing. Layup after layup that resulted from gorgeous team basketball. I know my opinion is unpopular, but I just love that team. Five guys working together beautifully at all times. The bought in and realized their maximum potential as a team.

Right up until the game against Butler. Still hurts.

Gilbert was actually the only person to get near Reynolds on that play, and Reynolds wasn't Gil's man. What do you think he should have done differently? Maybe you are thinking of Jermaine Dixon?

Gilbert was actually the only person to get near Reynolds on that play, and Reynolds wasn't Gil's man. What do you think he should have done differently? Maybe you are thinking of Jermaine Dixon?
I felt Gil could have still made an attempt to challenge the shot.

I felt Gil could have still made an attempt to challenge the shot.
He was in a hopeless situation. If he challenges the shot, it's almost certainly going to result in a foul being called. Dixon is 100% at fault for the play. He overplayed Reynolds, trying to deny him the ball. That's the wrong play. You want him to get the ball going the wrong way. This eats up time, as well as allowing the defenders to get in the proper position. Instead, Reynolds gets the ball on a dead run into the open. He's past most of the defense in a flash, and all you can do is hope he misses the shot.

Reactions: rockypanther
Butler was way, way worse for me. Goheen easily #1 but Butler was horrible.

No one on here ever mentions that it took a near miracle for Pitt to be tied at that point in the Nova game. I had mentally given that game up for a loss in the final minute, that's why to me it didn't hurt as much.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Butler was way, way worse for me. Goheen easily #1 but Butler was horrible.

No one on here ever mentions that it took a near miracle for Pitt to be tied at that point in the Nova game. I had mentally given that game up for a loss in the final minute, that's why to me it didn't hurt as much.
Down four with.about 11 seconds to go.

He was in a hopeless situation. If he challenges the shot, it's almost certainly going to result in a foul being called. Dixon is 100% at fault for the play. He overplayed Reynolds, trying to deny him the ball. That's the wrong play. You want him to get the ball going the wrong way. This eats up time, as well as allowing the defenders to get in the proper position. Instead, Reynolds gets the ball on a dead run into the open. He's past most of the defense in a flash, and all you can do is hope he misses the shot.
Jermaine gambled that he could force a five second call but it was a bad gamble.

There wasn't much Gil could do.

I don't understand why people keep saying Gil didn't even challenge the shot.

I think they wanted him to go aggressively at Reynolds, which he just couldn't risk. A foul there is fatal. He got in Reynold's path with his arms up. That was the best he could safely do.

I agree with you. He got in his path and made him shoot an awkward runner instead of a layup.

I agree with you. He got in his path and made him shoot an awkward runner instead of a layup.
Did Gil leave his feet?? That runner is pretty easy if you just get it up to the rim. At least it was for a little guy like me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT