ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship additions per sport

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
I didn't see a thread on this but there is going to be large percentage of scholarships allowed in the NCAA across all sports.

Stupid IMO. I'd rather the schools go non-scholarship and just pay players more. I bet many of the kids playing college football and basketball would qualify for decent financial aid packages so they wouldn't be paying full tuition anyways, and they could use their salary on that.

Stupid IMO. I'd rather the schools go non-scholarship and just pay players more. I bet many of the kids playing college football and basketball would qualify for decent financial aid packages so they wouldn't be paying full tuition anyways, and they could use their salary on that.

This is actually a good idea. Take away all scholarships and just pay the revenue athletes. So if it costs you $100K/year to go to school but you are making $500K, that's still a good deal.

This is actually a good idea. Take away all scholarships and just pay the revenue athletes. So if it costs you $100K/year to go to school but you are making $500K, that's still a good deal.
Right -- "more scholarships" is just another way for schools to steer money away from those that are earning it for the schools. It's dumb.

Yes but...............

Already the courts are ruling against these collectives and NIL as "charity" and "non profit" status, where scholarships are just that. I really do not get how the revenue sports are exempt from taxes. Not that I want taxes, but when businesses are pulling in 10's of millions of dollars, and make every decision they can to maximize revenue, it is decidedly "for profit".

Yes but...............

Already the courts are ruling against these collectives and NIL as "charity" and "non profit" status, where scholarships are just that. I really do not get how the revenue sports are exempt from taxes. Not that I want taxes, but when businesses are pulling in 10's of millions of dollars, and make every decision they can to maximize revenue, it is decidedly "for profit".
Counterargument is that the revenue sports support and enhance the level of non-revenue so there's some sort of charitable purpose, I guess. So yeah, if you take that support away, tax it like a profitable business.

How many athletic departments show annual profits on their books? My guess is not many.

Counterargument is that the revenue sports support and enhance the level of non-revenue so there's some sort of charitable purpose, I guess. So yeah, if you take that support away, tax it like a profitable business.
Is that really any different then a conglomerate that has multiple divisions where some make profit and others divisions lose money.

I do not have a problem with non profit status, until those non profits become more cut throat than normal corporations. Major D1 sports is at that point.

Is that really any different then a conglomerate that has multiple divisions where some make profit and others divisions lose money.

I do not have a problem with non profit status, until those non profits become more cut throat than normal corporations. Major D1 sports is at that point.
No. Most companies don't make a noticeable profit on more than 20% of the work they do. You have to keep machines running. It doesn't make sense but I've seen companies do well when most of the work is just barely covering direct cost. The college sports equivalent is something along the lines of volleyball having an extremely successful season while the football program floundered last year. It gave fans something to at least passively take pride in despite their preference for football to be competing at that level. Keeps your exposure relevant nationally. We all know the difference but I think it matters to the TV people that they have a compelling product that people will tune into on Fridays and Sundays rather than another stupid talk show that takes another deep dive into how Pitt broke a big play late to put away Boston College.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT