ADVERTISEMENT

School Mascots

Adrift

Walk-on
Apr 20, 2017
SIAP, so for those that don't know. The current students who perform as the Panther, the Nittany Lion, and the Akron Zip are all from St. Theresa's Catholic School in New Cumberland PA. What are the chances of that happening? Pretty cool.

I'll be the first to nominate the cheer team coach from St. Theresa's Catholic School as our 10th coach. Clearly, that person is the shut down recruiter that we need. To be able to pull that much elite talent into New Cumberland is impressive.

Probably more than a coincidence.
I hope you're kidding. Either way, St T's (Theresa's) is a typical small town Catholic School. They are pre-K through 8th grade with about 40 - 45 students per grade, and the parents are VERY involved. St. T's prides itself on basketball, especially girls basketball. The girls varsity (7th and 8th grade) CYO team has won the state CYO tournament on average every 3 years for the last 50 years. Very impressive. St T's feeds Trinity High School in District 3 and if you check they do very well in the state HS tournament. They also feed Cedar Cliff HS and Red Land HS on the public HS side. Cedar Cliff has 4 St T's girls on starting varsity BB this year and Red Land has 1 or 2.

Gym class is nothing more than you'd expect at a Catholic school with very little in the way of real equipment but an enthusiastic gym teacher to be sure.

Roc and Zippy are both seniors in college so this is their last year. The Lion is a Sophomore.

I'll be the first to nominate the cheer team coach from St. Theresa's Catholic School as our 10th coach. Clearly, that person is the shut down recruiter that we need. To be able to pull that much elite talent into New Cumberland is impressive.
Sorry, St T's doesn't have a permanent cheer coach, and those cheer teams they have are limited to girls. Coach duties fall to whichever mother feels like watching them during practice with a Trinity HS cheerleader teaching them to get community service hours. Typically, very few girls older than 5th grade are on the team.

IMHO, no conversation about school mascots, the kids inside the costume, is complete without including the Ohio University kid who tackled Brutus, at an OU v tO$U game. The whole reason he tried out for mascot was to tackle Brutus.

http://www.silive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/post_3.html

There's a video clip in the above article of him achieving his goal, but I like this angle better. One more reason I like college football; college kids.

IMHO, no conversation about school mascots, the kids inside the costume, is complete without including the Ohio University kid who tackled Brutus, at an OU v tO$U game. The whole reason he tried out for mascot was to tackle Brutus.

http://www.silive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/post_3.html

There's a video clip in the above article of him achieving his goal, but I like this angle better. One more reason I like college football; college kids.

He couldn't tackle him straight on so he runs up behind him? Where I'm from that PU$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT