ADVERTISEMENT

School Mergers

S.R.M.

Freshman
Dec 12, 2001
Why does it matter to anyone ?
Generally speaking, schools that graduate 40 kids offer less opportunities than schools that graduate 250+plus students. In rural areas it is sometimes logistically unavoidable, in a county with 1.3 million people it is embarrassing that schools like this exist.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Generally speaking, schools that graduate 40 kids offer less opportunities than schools that graduate 250+plus students. In rural areas it is sometimes logistically unavoidable, in a county with 1.3 million people it is embarrassing that schools like this exist.
What opportunities are those ?
You think they don’t have calculus , chemistry , and biology there ?
What’s embarrassing about it ?
Hell these little fifedoms exist precisely because they fled from larger areas like PPS

Hell these little fifedoms exist precisely because they fled from larger areas like PPS
Schools between 600-900 students are ideal

Most of them are poor, crime ridden and the lowest performing in state. And most have no where near available as others. No one would ever merge with any unless forced. That being said, I’d bet if you take a vote in say Clairton, they’d vote no to dissolve saying the 200 hs kids would be split into different districts and only community thing they have fb would be gone.

Most of them are poor, crime ridden and the lowest performing in state. And most have no where near available as others. No one would ever merge with any unless forced. That being said, I’d bet if you take a vote in say Clairton, they’d vote no to dissolve saying the 200 hs kids would be split into different districts and only community thing they have fb would be gone.
Hs sports is the absolutely most insanely stupid reason to advocate consolidation.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I found 1,000-1,100 is a good size. Small enough that every student has an opportunity to participate in any activity, but big enough that those who are involved aren't spread too thin.

The head of the WPIAL said class 1A was the hardest to seed because it had the biggest bracket. Pittsburgh has to be the only metropolitan area in the country with a population over 2 million that has more 1A schools than any other classification. It is embarrassing that some of these schools exist.

I would agree. I doubt any major metro area has as many tiny school districts as Greater Pittsburgh has. Every small town has their own school district. If you are graduating less than 100 students, you should merge.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yep. Monessen, Clairton, etc, they absolutely would vote no to a merger

I don’t think the local district had a foreign language teacher for a few years. Some also do have problems retaining teachers. Since the school year began my kid has already had two teachers quit for better paying jobs at larger schools. Your calculus teacher may have concentrated in English or social studies instead of math.

I posted what Monessen offers and it's quite a bit considering the size of the school.

It’s also ridiculous how many school districts there are in the Johnstown area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT