ADVERTISEMENT

SEC commish: "just straight payments"

The problem is that Alabama wouldn’t be looking to “fix” it so that is legit and clean. They just want it to go back to how it was when they could cheat better than everyone else.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I've seen a lot of people pointing and laughing a Saban/the SEC, when in reality they should be hoping those guys get all the airtime they can. If they're going to overhaul this thing, it isn't going to be because people at Oregon State and Purdue were complaining.
On the one hand, I am surprised that SEC folks have been most vocal against these pay for play NIL deals but on the other, it makes sense that they dont want the playing field leveled. Some hedge fund guy from Northwestern could buy National Championships. How about some rich Evangelical dude buying a Natty for Liberty?

On the one hand, I am surprised that SEC folks have been most vocal against these pay for play NIL deals but on the other, it makes sense that they dont want the playing field leveled. Some hedge fund guy from Northwestern could buy National Championships. How about some rich Evangelical dude buying a Natty for Liberty?
His public complaining and whining underscores how much it evens the playing field with the other elite but non-SEC “traditional” powers. I highlight “traditional” in that Saban went out of the way to throw the Jimbo-come-lately very publicly under the bus. Look for similar with Texas and Oklahoma too once they buy up their own guys. He’ll rail at least as loudly about them. What a piece of hypocritical hog excrement.

Funny Saban complained about someone and something that is totally above board now (using NIL in recruiting), yet didn’t mention USC and their obvious tampering with Addison though, which was clearly an NCAA violation. One reason of course was because Alabama was in the Addison sweepstakes as well, and certainly tampers as well. But it also underscores how he and the other creeps at that level absolutely have no concern about raping the secondary levels of college football for players. F him. Rot in hell with your idols like Paterno and Hayes.

I've seen a lot of people pointing and laughing a Saban/the SEC, when in reality they should be hoping those guys get all the airtime they can. If they're going to overhaul this thing, it isn't going to be because people at Oregon State and Purdue were complaining.
That’s exactly it. The blue bloods HAVE to speak up. The NCAA money makers have a larger voice than the other schools, so it shines more of a light on tbt issue.

Reactions: APanther

That would be fantastic if it happened. Unfortunately, the most desperate schools right now seem to be the ones that have had no excuse not the be in the top tier of college football over the past few decades, but they still couldn't get there. So instead of buying really good recruits, they have graduated to buying even better recruits interspersed with proven commodities. You can cut the desperation with a knife.

I suspect they'll win a few games/titles of significance over the next few years and then it will be the donors of another school(s) who think they should be winning more and will become desperate and pool their resources together. Rinse, wash, repeat.

The spirit of competition is no longer on the field. This thing is just a video game, and all the big-time donors have been handed a control.

Screw them - the toothpaste is out of the tube and I'm glad it's a cluster****!

His public complaining and whining underscores how much it evens the playing field with the other elite but non-SEC “traditional” powers. I highlight “traditional” in that Saban went out of the way to throw the Jimbo-come-lately very publicly under the bus. Look for similar with Texas and Oklahoma too once they buy up their own guys. He’ll rail at least as loudly about them. What a piece of hypocritical hog excrement.

Funny Saban complained about someone and something that is totally above board now (using NIL in recruiting), yet didn’t mention USC and their obvious tampering with Addison though, which was clearly an NCAA violation. One reason of course was because Alabama was in the Addison sweepstakes as well, and certainly tampers as well. But it also underscores how he and the other creeps at that level absolutely have no concern about raping the secondary levels of college football for players. F him. Rot in hell with your idols like Paterno and Hayes.
SPOT ON WELL STATED!!!!

That would be fantastic if it happened. Unfortunately, the most desperate schools right now seem to be the ones that have had no excuse not the be in the top tier of college football over the past few decades, but they still couldn't get there. So instead of buying really good recruits, they have graduated to buying even better recruits interspersed with proven commodities. You can cut the desperation with a knife.

I suspect they'll win a few games/titles of significance over the next few years and then it will be the donors of another school(s) who think they should be winning more and will become desperate and pool their resources together. Rinse, wash, repeat.

The spirit of competition is no longer on the field. This thing is just a video game, and all the big-time donors have been handed a control.
Indeed, Texas A&M, USC and Miami totally fit into the category you indicate. Our state inhabitants to the North Eat fall into it as well, so it won’t be a surprise when they start gorging at the transfer/NIL teat.

The spirit of competition is no longer on the field. This thing is just a video game, and all the big-time donors have been handed a control
Real-life fantasy football for America's oligarchs. How great is this country when you can have so much money, you have nothing better to spend it on than personally paying kids to play for your favorite team?

Reactions: APanther
Real-life fantasy football for America's oligarchs. How great is this country when you can have so much money, you have nothing better to spend it on than personally paying kids to play for your favorite team?
I keep on going back to Doug Whaley on an interview in the Fan when they first asked about this. And his comment was in the NFL you have an owner, a cap, and defined revenue streams. With college now, some of these schools have 8-10 alums with "owner money" and no cap, no rules. What do you think is going to happen?

I keep on going back to Doug Whaley on an interview in the Fan when they first asked about this. And his comment was in the NFL you have an owner, a cap, and defined revenue streams. With college now, some of these schools have 8-10 alums with "owner money" and no cap, no rules. What do you think is going to happen?
Which is why it has to be regulated. What if Elon Musk wants to buy a National Championship for Texas State? I mean it would be kinda cool but also really stupid. You either need to get rid of these pay for play deals or make pay for play legal and have the colleges pay the players

Indeed, Texas A&M, USC and Miami totally fit into the category you indicate. Our state inhabitants to the North Eat fall into it as well, so it won’t be a surprise when they start gorging at the transfer/NIL teat.
How about Texas, they have the money, TV wants them, they are way worse than Pitt the last decade.

Which is why it has to be regulated. What if Elon Musk wants to buy a National Championship for Texas State? I mean it would be kinda cool but also really stupid. You either need to get rid of these pay for play deals or make pay for play legal and have the colleges pay the players
I foresee any attempts at “regulation” (aka reeling in these new benefits for the players) will be countered by players “advocates” (aka the most active of the blue bloods and players agents) by screaming that the “establishment” (with all race and class intimations one wants to read into term) is trying to drag the players back into “shackles”.

They should be wary of the impact on college football’s ultimate biggest beneficiaries (the NFL, and the networks that carry the NFL) however, as it’s been pointed out that this can’t go SO far as to delay a great number of top prospects from entering the NFL draft early. I normally would think the NFL sees this trend as a negative (that the best players would be coming to them at least a year older and with more wear and tear) … unless the NFL (down deep) would actually be happy see more of those players get some additional free seasoning before entering the league…the poster boy for that being our own Kenny Pickett.

Since those networks that currently carry the most national college football games also carry most of the NFL, I’d be interested to hear more from these network officials on their take of all this. College football makes them money, but I’d expect the NFL makes them a lot more.

Last edited:
What I am wondering is how do these alums profit monetarily from these "investments?" Is it through gambling or do the get revenue shares from the school or something? Honest question?

What I am wondering is how do these alums profit monetarily from these "investments?" Is it through gambling or do the get revenue shares from the school or something? Honest question?
For most mega rich boosters, most likely the only“benefit” is the exhilaration in their short and curlies when ‘their’ team beats one of their peer’s teams. This is a hobby for them.

I wonder if SEC fans have a social problem with paying millions of dollars to young black players. They're cool with doing things somewhat under the table but the last thing they want is a 20 year old black millionaire on campus.

Reactions: 303vND and APanther
I wonder if SEC fans have a social problem with paying millions of dollars to young black players. They're cool with doing things somewhat under the table but the last thing they want is a 20 year old black millionaire on campus.

It's not the 60s. Any concerns they have with paying a 20 yr old millions would have nothing to do with race, and would be the same concerns that exist anywhere else. (Not a level playing field & not being sustainable)

It's not the 60s. Any concerns they have with paying a 20 yr old millions would have nothing to do with race, and would be the same concerns that exist anywhere else. (Not a level playing field & not being sustainable)

Yeah just look at the entire counterculture that sprung up against even saying the phrase Black Lives Matter. Surely nothing has anything to do with race in America!

Reactions: 303vND and APanther
Yeah just look at the entire counterculture that sprung up against even saying the phrase Black Lives Matter. Surely nothing has anything to do with race in America!
BLM is such a great scam, Trump is sorry he didn't think of it first :)

For most mega rich boosters, most likely the only“benefit” is the exhilaration in their short and curlies when ‘their’ team beats one of their peer’s teams. This is a hobby for them.
If I was a billionaire I wouldn't be a good sports booster for Pitt, as I sit here, I think I'd rather send the money to regular no talent schmucks with no athletic ability and no scholarship, so they aren't saddled with debt later, rather than guys who already have scholarships and special dorms and free everything already.

Honestly....putting that much money into the hands of kids this young of any race could spell disaster for a number of reasons. Especially publicizing how much they are getting. It's a setup for robbery, murder, and stupid kid decisions. That being said I guess this happens in the NBA already so...

ADVERTISEMENT