ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage

Picture.ashx

It's a scrimmage--and given we are overly deep at small to mid-size players and very thin on bigs-- here is a guess on PT (assuming no one is injured or has the flu):

Note: This guess also considers the following roster position info from the Pitt Official Site:

(1) Players listed only as Guards = Johnson, McGowens, Ellison, Toney, N'Dir, Davis, Aiken, Mascaro, Starzynski
(2) Players listed as Guard/Forwards = Stevenson, Frame
(3) Player listed only as a Forward = George
(4) Players listed as Forward/Centers = Brown, Chukwuka
(5) Player listed only as a Center = Ilegomah

The Guess:

PG-- N'Dir & Johnson about equal PT-- McGowens & Aiken some PT
SG-- Ellison & McGowens about equal PT-- Davis & Toney some PT
SF-- Frame & Stevenson about equal PT-- Toney & Ellison some PT
PF-- George & Brown about equal PT--Chukwuka some PT
C-- Brown & Ilegomah about equal PT -- Chukwuka some PT

It's a scrimmage--and given we are overly deep at small to mid-size players and very thin on bigs-- here is a guess on PT (assuming no one is injured or has the flu):

Note: This guess also considers the following roster position info from the Pitt Official Site:

(1) Players listed only as Guards = Johnson, McGowens, Ellison, Toney, N'Dir, Davis, Aiken, Mascaro, Starzynski
(2) Players listed as Guard/Forwards = Stevenson, Frame
(3) Player listed only as a Forward = George
(4) Players listed as Forward/Centers = Brown, Chukwuka
(5) Player listed only as a Center = Ilegomah

The Guess:

PG-- N'Dir & Johnson about equal PT-- McGowens & Aiken some PT
SG-- Ellison & McGowens about equal PT-- Davis & Toney some PT
SF-- Frame & Stevenson about equal PT-- Toney & Ellison some PT
PF-- George & Brown about equal PT--Chukwuka some PT
C-- Brown & Ilegomah about equal PT -- Chukwuka some PT

As an afterthought, IMHO, starters might not mean as much this season as in the past. I suspect Capel will use a 10-deep approach to take advantage of the guard-wing depth he has (consisting of players of similar abilities) in an attempt to wear down more talented teams that have a shorter bench. However, that's just a guess based on what Capel has to work with this season.

I think Brown starts over Chukwuka.

Agree--that's clearly the case--unless Chukwuka has miraculously improved from last year.

I hope but I have heard nothing of Brown's improvement but Chuckwuka has drawn rave reviews by some. Chukwuka is better defensively and rebounding and I think that's what they will go with

Reactions: freddietee511
If Chukwuka is in fact rebounding and is better defensively, we will be
better. If not, we're gonna get killed inside and on the boards. We need
him inside and not firing away from three land as he was last year.
IMO, George and Iggy are in no way even close to being ACC caliber players.
They may be capable of coming in for a few minutes here and there, but that's
about it. Maybe there's a miraculous improvement with these two, but I'd be
shocked if there were.
As far as Chukwuka is concerned, I'm gonna have to see the improvement
before I believe it. I'm hoping he has improved, and brings an inside presence
to our line up.

shocked if there were.
to our line up.
We’d all be better off waiting a few games to see if these guys improved and how much.

shocked if there were.
to our line up.

I didn't say Chukwuka was good. But I haven't heard anything on Brown and he wasn't on campus for the summer. I think Brown is better offensively and has a higher ceiling but is "soft" and slow. I think Chukwuka gets the nod.

If Chukwuka is in fact rebounding and is better defensively, we will
about it.
before I believe it. I'm hoping he can bring an inside presence to our line up.

-Chukwuka was the 3rd worst defender on the entire team last year. Stewart was by far the worst, he was maybe the worst defender in acc history. Carr was 2nd worst on the team, Chuk easily 3rd worst.

-The freshmen have all stood out in practice. Capel has done a complete 180 and substantially upgraded the speed and athletic ability with the new players

-Ellison has been pretty spot on with his early comments in regards to Pitt roster and whats happening. All signs point to Johnson starting at point guard for now. Chuk may start. But its irrelevant for now because the real players will prove it November 6th and moving forward in actual games. Chuk could start, but if he continues to be a massive black hole on defense like last year, he will find his way to the bench quickly. Everything this year is starting with defense. Capel has preached it over and over. Ellison has preached it over and over.

Reactions: jpklein
I agree. The defense last year was atrocious, and Stewart was the worst defender
I think I've ever seen at the D1 level. His floor game was almost as bad. I expect
this year's team to press on the D end due to our lack of height and lack of an
inside presence.

I agree. The defense last year was atrocious, and Stewart was the worst defender
I think I've ever seen at the D1 level. His floor game was almost as bad. I expect
this year's team to press on the D end due to our lack of height and lack of an
inside presence.

-That and because we added a bunch of ridiculously super athletic guards. And "super" is probably underselling the athleticism of these new players. Our new point guard dunks from the foul line.

-That and because we added a bunch of ridiculously super athletic guards. And "super" is probably underselling the athleticism of these new players. Our new point guard dunks from the foul line.

At this point it always sounds good. Good as these guys may be, they're
entering a conference whose teams are ridiculously talented in the backcourt.
Having Ellison and the transfer, gives our guards some "breathing room" for
them to get their feet wet early pre conference. Last year they were thrown
right into the frying pan. Carr had no chance to develop and looked worse
than he really was IMO.
You mentioned the point guard, dunking from the foul line.....ok, shows
great athleticism. Now if he can adjust to D1 as a pg, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Steel hasn't been to Pittsburgh in more than a decade, despite unlimited funds to travel to the most remote places in the world and being a HUGE Pitt fan.

-I was in Pittsburgh for roughly 5 weeks give or take last summer. First time back in about 10 years, that part you are correct

HUGE Pitt fan. HUGE insider. No data plan.

-I carry 2 active phones with me everywhere. If you ever start traveling in your life, you will realize there are tons of dead zones with no service. If you want to get technical, I was in every state in the entire United States last year too. There are dead zones all over this country. I wont even get started traveling outside the US with you.

-For example, Ever been up to the Dakotas in your life? Some of the towns in those states have populations less then 100 people with 1 gas pump and the gas is mixed with ethanol. Ever see a gas station, with 1 pump, at E85 grade and no other options? They have the same shit up in Moab Utah for example

-Like I said Pal, start a traveling thread instead of hijacking threads like this one. People arent interested in my personal / traveling life. But Im open game to talk traveling with anyone on this board.

-Chukwuka was the 3rd worst defender on the entire team last year. Stewart was by far the worst, he was maybe the worst defender in acc history. Carr was 2nd worst on the team, Chuk easily 3rd worst.

-The freshmen have all stood out in practice. Capel has done a complete 180 and substantially upgraded the speed and athletic ability with the new players

-Ellison has been pretty spot on with his early comments in regards to Pitt roster and whats happening. All signs point to Johnson starting at point guard for now. Chuk may start. But its irrelevant for now because the real players will prove it November 6th and moving forward in actual games. Chuk could start, but if he continues to be a massive black hole on defense like last year, he will find his way to the bench quickly. Everything this year is starting with defense. Capel has preached it over and over. Ellison has preached it over and over.
Are you hiding somewhere in the Pete watching practice every day? How do you know any of this information about any of these players in practices and what Capel is focusing on at practice? Nobody else even on Twitter has any inside info they have shared and media is barely allowed real actual access.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Are you hiding somewhere in the Pete watching practice every day? How do you know any of this information about any of these players in practices and what Capel is focusing on at practice? Nobody else even on Twitter has any inside info they have shared and media is barely allowed real actual access.

He invents based on twitter musings .

It’s why he’s on ignore for me.

He invents based on twitter musings .

It’s why he’s on ignore for me.
Yea, like when he touts a guy dunking from the foul line - since when does a guy dunking from the foul line mean he can play hoops...at all? Because I've seen that particular skill happen exactly 0 times in an actual game. Or because he's athletic automatically means he can ball...

Reactions: Ski11585
Yea, like when he touts a guy dunking from the foul line - since when does a guy dunking from the foul line mean he can play hoops...at all? Because I've seen that particular skill happen exactly 0 times in an actual game. Or because he's athletic automatically means he can ball...
Did you forget how all that athletic ability turned JJ Moore into a star at Pitt? Oh wait. Nevermind.

Reactions: MyNameisJoe

Take his predictions and hype as amusement. See: Kithcart, Justice et al.

Reactions: rockypanther
The gas is mixed with ethanol at most gas pumps in the United States.

-You are always a smart ass as you ignored the sentence after. You couldnt name 1 gas station in the US with only E85 gas and nothing else at the station except E85 unless you live in the middle of nowhere. That was the point. About 2% of all gas stations if that even carry E85 with other options available. Im talking E85 as the ONLY option and no other options. Go ahead and try it and your car is going to run like shit. I didnt have a choice and had to buy it. At least I didnt blow anything.

-If you watched the player interview videos talking about this years team, it would give you a lot of the information you seek.

-I know you guys arent used to athletic ability because Jamie Dixon didnt recruit all that many big time athletes. Yea, JJ Moore didnt match the hype. But Sam Young and Gilbert Brown and Julius Page etcc.. won conference championships and earned 1 or 2 seeds in the NCAA Tournament. Get used to athletic players, there is a different breed of athlete coming to Oakland. The days of players like Marcus Carr who can barely touch the rim are over.

-You are always a smart ass as you ignored the sentence after. You couldnt name 1 gas station in the US with only E85 gas and nothing else at the station except E85 unless you live in the middle of nowhere. That was the point. About 2% of all gas stations if that even carry E85 with other options available. Im talking E85 as the ONLY option and no other options. Go ahead and try it and your car is going to run like shit. I didnt have a choice and had to buy it. At least I didnt blow anything.
As with most basic things you’re wrong
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=E85

-Whats this prove? There are between 115,000 to 150,000 gas stations in the United States. And I said E85 ONLY. I traveled this entire country by car. I know.

-Per the link, there are 3,290 with other options. Thats less then 3%. And that doesnt even include what I said. I said E85 ONLY gas stations, not E85 with other options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT