ADVERTISEMENT

Seemed very lethargic today

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Poor 3 point shooting, somewhat subpar at FT% (but lots of FTs made in volume).

Poor results on defense at preventing dribble drive penetration.

Kept N Alabama around too too long so that it went to the buzzer. Clearly a down game.

Lots of lessons for Capel to teach.

However, a win is a win.

Kept N Alabama around too too long so that it went to the buzzer. Clearly a down game.

However, a win is a win.
I don’t think they looked lethargic, they drive to the basket often instead of settling for outside shots, they just missed a lot of those layup attempts.

The frequent drives to the basket also explains the large # of FT attempts. Shooting 74% from the FT line on 42 attempts really isn’t bad.

I like how the team goes to the bucket constantly but they alter their shots for no reason and often miss bunnies.
They need a Horse in the middle to clear out space for these speedster guards.
I think Pitt is still ahead of schedule with Capel.

I don’t think they looked lethargic, they drive to the basket often instead of settling for outside shots, they just missed a lot of those layup attempts.

Well when you are driving the ball at guys who are a lot taller than you missing a lot of layups is going to happen. It's going to get worse when we play better teams with better (and bigger) interior defenders, which is why someone needs to teach these guys that it's OK to stop in the lane for a short jumper or, god forbid, kick the ball out to an open shooter rather than continually challenge bigger guys at the rim.

Well when you are driving the ball at guys who are a lot taller than you missing a lot of layups is going to happen. It's going to get worse when we play better teams with better (and bigger) interior defenders, which is why someone needs to teach these guys that it's OK to stop in the lane for a short jumper or, god forbid, kick the ball out to an open shooter rather than continually challenge bigger guys at the rim.
Yeah, as the quality of the opponent gets better compared to what they had to start the season, they’re not going to as easily drive to the basket or be as successful converting on those drives.

My reply was more directed to the comment that they looked lethargic which I don’t think was the case.

However, a win is a win.
Noon games are tough to get ready for. It’s like golf. 7:00am tee times are tough. Takes s while to get in rhythm. Like noon tips in hoops.

I just got done with the replay......... finally they played a bad game .. and still won.

To me there seemed to be a lot of shots that should have fallen but inexplicably they didn’t. This could have easily been a blow out, but hopefully all the bad luck got expended this game.

I just got done with the replay......... finally they played a bad game .. and still won.
I agree but very rarely do you shoot 50%+ every game. These are games we used to lose because we would work the shot clock and rarely drive to the hoop, end up with 1 shot and then hope to stop the other team. This team just uses constant pressure on D and O. When all the pieces are here they could be scary good. Go look at other scores and every game is different depending on whether you are on or off. Win these types of games makes a big difference in your season.

I agree but very rarely do you shoot 50%+ every game. These are games we used to lose because we would work the shot clock and rarely drive to the hoop, end up with 1 shot and then hope to stop the other team. This team just uses constant pressure on D and O. When all the pieces are here they could be scary good. Go look at other scores and every game is different depending on whether you are on or off. Win these types of games makes a big difference in your season.
Passion. That is the 1st thing you need.

However, a win is a win.
Yes, but still nice to get a "W" even when playing not so good against a lesser opponent.

Disorganized but not lethargic.

They played like a bunch of freshmen- and jwf didn’t bail them out with threes today

I agree --lethargic isn't the right word. More just that what had come easily in the past four games didn't come so easily today.

I'm actually glad that JWF didn't bail them out with his shooting. The team had to pass the test on their own. They didn't pass with flying colors. They squeaked by actually. But pass they did.

I agree --lethargic isn't the right word. More just that what had come easily in the past four games didn't come so easily today.

I'm actually glad that JWF didn't bail them out with his shooting. The team had to pass the test on their own. They didn't pass with flying colors. They squeaked by actually. But pass they did.
But they closed on their own.
Got a couple stops and made their free throws.

I was pleased with winning in regulation- had overtime conceded mentally.
But a timely partial block from jwf prevented that.

Easy to come out a little sloppy on a Saturday noon tip especially when you played Thursday night and had some no shows (myself included) due to football game viewing. Glad they pulled it out. Not a good performance but not a massive cause for concern either. Let’s face it we are all human and when you play game after game against terrible teams it’s easy to come out flat after awhile. I’m really looking forward to Wednesday. If they can pull it out I may make the trip to Morgantown.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT