ADVERTISEMENT

Semi OT: Larry Scirrotto chooses being a ref

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
No link to share, but in reading the PP-G this morning, a lede article featured the resignation of Larry Scirrotto as Pittsburgh Chief of Police. Scirrotto is also an NCAA referee, and apparently there was a conflict of interest

@DT_PITT et al: have you seen a game officiated by Scirrotto?

I saw some photos on the news this morning and he was standing next to Izzo and Woodson so I'm assuming it's the big ten. Not a bad side gig at $3000 per game

No link to share, but in reading the PP-G this morning, a lede article featured the resignation of Larry Scirrotto as Pittsburgh Chief of Police. Scirrotto is also an NCAA referee, and apparently there was a conflict of interest

@DT_PITT et al: have you seen a game officiated by Scirrotto?
Not one that I can recall Moe. I dont think he does games in the ACC. Big 10 I seem to recall.

Scirrotto is also an NCAA referee, and apparently there was a conflict of interest

The conflict of interest is that Pittsburgh Chief of Police is a full time job that requires someone to be available at all hours of the day. So when he took the job he agreed to stop reffing games, because they didn't want him being out of town for days at a time from November to March.

But I guess he decided that he missed being a referee, because he showed up at one of the exhibition games a week or so ago, so people started asking questions. Maybe he thought no one would notice?

I saw some photos on the news this morning and he was standing next to Izzo and Woodson so I'm assuming it's the big ten. Not a bad side gig at $3000 per game
Are you sure D1 basketball officials make that much per game? That number seems a little high.

Are you sure D1 basketball officials make that much per game? That number seems a little high.
That is a little high. I believe what they get per game varies per league and with the refs experience. They also have their travel costs covered. But Larry Scirrotto was one of the more senior refs in the Big 10 and I think also the A-10 and the Big East. You might figure him to average close to $2k per game. The busiest refs can do 80 games or more a year. So a busy top ref can easily make over $150k a season.

That is a little high. I believe what they get per game varies per league and with the refs experience. They also have their travel costs covered. But Larry Scirrotto was one of the more senior refs in the Big 10 and I think also the A-10 and the Big East. You might figure him to average close to $2k per game. The busiest refs can do 80 games or more a year. So a busy top ref can easily make over $150k a season.
Do they pay their own travel and lodging?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT