ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Seton La Salle Recruiting

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
SLS getting nailed for recruiting violations. Baseball program already found guilty, has an assistant coach serving one year suspension. Now four schools made formal complaints against the football program, entire football staff facing one year suspension. I only made this semi-OT because one of the football coaches accused of recruiting is Jason Pinkston - maybe he can recruit for us instead!

Well, all the schools in the Pittsburgh area aren't recruiting, so the ones that are should be punished. Bigger picture, the privates schools should play in their own league or all have to play in the largest classification like PCC does. Too many privates schools recruiting players to teams then pounding their chest about the section and WPIAL Championships they win like they did anything other than rig the game in their favor.

Also, it is disappointing that faith-based schools are willing to compromise morals and ethics for high school sports.

Well, all the schools in the Pittsburgh area aren't recruiting, so the ones that are should be punished. Bigger picture, the privates schools should play in their own league or all have to play in the largest classification like PCC does. Too many privates schools recruiting players to teams then pounding their chest about the section and WPIAL Championships they win like they did anything other than rig the game in their favor.

Also, it is disappointing that faith-based schools are willing to compromise morals and ethics for high school sports.
Agree on the privates. They are dominating all sports because they are rigging the game. Also there is the issue of schools co-opping. A school in pa which has won a bunch of state titles in wrestling isnt a private school but co-ops with one who recruits all the kids.

I do understand Lasalle's spot if you want to compete with the privates you have to recruit

I don't care. Really? I don't care that some 65 year old dude who's Friday Nights and weekends exist like he is Buddy Garrity being the chief booster of the Dillion Panthers. High Schools are there for learning, but also for kids to get better opportunities. And say a kid on Carlynton, a QB or great athlete, and there is no one else around him and going to a Central or Seton LaSalle would not only help him develop but get better exposure, then so be it. These same schools do this with academics also, right?

I don't care. Really? I don't care that some 65 year old dude who's Friday Nights and weekends exist like he is Buddy Garrity being the chief booster of the Dillion Panthers. High Schools are there for learning, but also for kids to get better opportunities. And say a kid on Carlynton, a QB or great athlete, and there is no one else around him and going to a Central or Seton LaSalle would not only help him develop but get better exposure, then so be it. These same schools do this with academics also, right?

Yea, I actually think HS's should be allowed to recruit. Public and private. As long as imperssible benefits arent being paid like when the Terry Smith was getting those Pittsburgh kids, apartments in Monroeville paid for to play for Gateway.

If Seton LaSalle goes up to a kid from KO or West Mifflin or wherever and says, "hey kid, come play for us, the education is better and our team is better," what is the harm in that?

If Pine-Richland tells some kid from Avonworth they want him to play QB and the family legitimately gets an apartment there and lives there, I dont see the problem.

Yes. They recruit like crazy to survive. Word of mouth. Ads in church bulletins. Mailers. T-shirts. Day in the life of...

They talk about academics, art, music and — gasp — sports. This is true even for the HIgh Schools that don’t really care about them. While I couldn’t care less if the hoops team at my kid’s school wins a game, I am greatful for any kid that happened to pick the school for BB as much as I would be if they picked it for the robotics club.

Southern Columbia HS is to me, the obvious example of something's not quite right.
They have won 11 State titles in the last what, 20 years? How many in a row? They develop 4-5 star recruits. It is a school the size of Apollo Ridge. It is not even near a city. It is a suburb of Bloomsburg, Bloomsburg is as big as Clarion. In the middle of nowhere. Coal Country. It's not like people are flocking their for high tech jobs and education. So how are they doing it?? Hell, Aliquippa gets punished for their success and have to play up, Southern Columbia is still AA and not just winning state titles, they beat most opponents by 50.

Southern Columbia HS is to me, the obvious example of something's not quite right.
They have won 11 State titles in the last what, 20 years? How many in a row? They develop 4-5 star recruits. It is a school the size of Apollo Ridge. It is not even near a city. It is a suburb of Bloomsburg, Bloomsburg is as big as Clarion. In the middle of nowhere. Coal Country. It's not like people are flocking their for high tech jobs and education. So how are they doing it?? Hell, Aliquippa gets punished for their success and have to play up, Southern Columbia is still AA and not just winning state titles, they beat most opponents by 50.

It was Berwick before them. Move the schools that are pulling kids from outside of a "normal" geographic area to 6A and be done with it. It's kind of a shame to watch a school with 160 pound linemen trying to compete against kids that are a hundred pounds bigger and call it "fair".

SLS getting nailed for recruiting violations. Baseball program already found guilty, has an assistant coach serving one year suspension. Now four schools made formal complaints against the football program, entire football staff facing one year suspension. I only made this semi-OT because one of the football coaches accused of recruiting is Jason Pinkston - maybe he can recruit for us instead!

WPIAL may dock Pinkston another star as punishment.

hahahahahahahahahhaha. hahahahahahahaha. forever.

Reactions: Ski11585
Just updating, the suspensions were made official today, including all the school's sports being put on probation for 2 years:

Since Pinkston has some free time on his hands, can we get him a fake name and enroll him at Pitt?

Since so many posters here accuse Jon Miller of recruiting while at B’Hawk, hypothetically how did he do it?

Southern Columbia "if" they get kids from out of the area, they do it before 7th grade. 99% of those kids that you see on Friday nights played throughout Southern's midget program. My older brother has coached against Southern for 20+ years. There are no sour grapes. He would be the 1st to tell you that if there is one thing that to be jealous of is, Southern has probably the best year round program that starts in junior high. No one has the commitment they have.

Even in years where they don't have the D1 kids in #'s, they dominate. Outside of Hyno, their guys don't do much in of notice at the D1 level. Outside of the past 5 years, they haven't really had many D1 kids.

For most, no. In Allegheny County it is actually quite expensive. So a family sending kids to private school is paying twice and contrary to popular belief most Catholic School students do not come from wealthy families. Certainly not mine.
Well, many of the kids being recruited to these private schools are not paying twice, because they are being given 'scholarships' to attend. In the case of Seton La Salle baseball, word on the street is families received cash payments (beyond tuition help).

But I am surprised so many on here see recruiting kids for HS sports as 'no big deal' and should be allowed. This after all these stories and threads about HS athletes being under pressure from college recruiters and handlers, talks of bag men and impermissible benefits, and negative recruiting. You really want to open the door for 8th graders to have to deal with this from HS coaches and boosters? And if we really want to allow this, then Catholic schools will suffer the most...they can't compete with the $$ people from Sewickley Academy, Winchester Thurston, and the like can throw around.

Well, many of the kids being recruited to these private schools are not paying twice, because they are being given 'scholarships' to attend. In the case of Seton La Salle baseball, word on the street is families received cash payments (beyond tuition help).

But I am surprised so many on here see recruiting kids for HS sports as 'no big deal' and should be allowed. This after all these stories and threads about HS athletes being under pressure from college recruiters and handlers, talks of bag men and impermissible benefits, and negative recruiting. You really want to open the door for 8th graders to have to deal with this from HS coaches and boosters? And if we really want to allow this, then Catholic schools will suffer the most...they can't compete with the $$ people from Sewickley Academy, Winchester Thurston, and the like can throw around.
Actually they can’t compete with the facilities of the public schools. Not even close.
To be candid, recruiting comes down to the arms race of facilities. How many posts about the south side or the Pete or Victory Heights does it take for “facilities” to enter the picture? It’s the Elephant in the room.
My son almost attended New Albany High School East of Columbus. They have an embarrassing amount of riches.
LOOK at some other thread here about stadiums in Texas. Recruiting is based on facilities for the most part.
There’s the elephant conveniently ignored.
Now will one of you guys who claimed that old man Miller recruited at Blackhawk tell us how he did it or do I have to get Oliver Stone for some substance to those oft repeated claims?

Last edited:
Reactions: KR519

Tuition and money beyond that for baseball players?!! You really don’t believe that nonsense, do you?

What is the harm in telling a kid you want him to play QB for your team? I think recruiting in HS should be encouraged....but also that privates should play in a different class.

Tuition and money beyond that for baseball players?!! You really don’t believe that nonsense, do you?
Yes, with how that team was built, yes I could 100% believe that. I don't think it is typical from most private schools, but if you only knew...

I don't think you are familiar with the situation. I will be upfront that I am getting this info 2nd hand from multiple folks down in the south hills, though I do have a friend whose son plays at upper st. clair and was recruited to go to seton la salle for baseball (but declined), and them I believe. And I don't care anything about high school baseball anyway. but here is what I am told....
The team is coached by a millionaire businessman who took the job because his son is on the team. He hired a former Major League player to help him coach. The team went from winning 2 games in 2016 to winning the WPIAL title in 2018. It was an open secret in the AAU baseball circuit that these coaches were aggressively recruiting players to form an all-star team for high school ball. Complaints were filed a couple years ago, but the WPIAL looked the other way, and then this past summer they finally suspended 1 assistant for 1 year.

I don't think you are familiar with the situation. I will be upfront that I am getting this info 2nd hand from multiple folks down in the south hills, though I do have a friend whose son plays at upper st. clair and was recruited to go to seton la salle for baseball (but declined), and them I believe. And I don't care anything about high school baseball anyway. but here is what I am told....
The team is coached by a millionaire businessman who took the job because his son is on the team. He hired a former Major League player to help him coach. The team went from winning 2 games in 2016 to winning the WPIAL title in 2018. It was an open secret in the AAU baseball circuit that these coaches were aggressively recruiting players to form an all-star team for high school ball. Complaints were filed a couple years ago, but the WPIAL looked the other way, and then this past summer they finally suspended 1 assistant for 1 year.
This is all 100% correct. I know a kids from USC (maybe the same kid), Canon-Mac and NA that all played on the AAU team and were "encouraged" to play at Seton LaSalle, but did not. I know another one that would have never gone to Seton, but did because of the coach.

The coach created an AAU team for like 13U and named it the Rebels (after Seton LaSalle). The team existed for like 2 years until his some was going into his FR year. He recruited for the AAU team and then tried to get everyone on the team to play at Seton LaSalle. He didn't get everyone, but he got a lot. Their best pitcher 2 years ago was committed to play in the SEC before he ever threw a pitch in high school. His brothers all played at South Park, but he went to Seton LaSalle. He is now back at South Park.

A slight Pitt angle to all this. The coaches daughter was committed to Pitt for softball, but ended up at Oregon.

The coach created an AAU team

Well this is not meant to offend anyone, but isn't that the whole drive behind a private education, your son/daughter can avoid the "ne'r do wells" and learn,associate with friends of similar goals, commitment levels and beliefs? It follows that extra-curriculars are no different.

This is all 100% correct. I know a kids from USC (maybe the same kid), Canon-Mac and NA that all played on the AAU team and were "encouraged" to play at Seton LaSalle, but did not. I know another one that would have never gone to Seton, but did because of the coach.

The coach created an AAU team for like 13U and named it the Rebels (after Seton LaSalle). The team existed for like 2 years until his some was going into his FR year. He recruited for the AAU team and then tried to get everyone on the team to play at Seton LaSalle. He didn't get everyone, but he got a lot. Their best pitcher 2 years ago was committed to play in the SEC before he ever threw a pitch in high school. His brothers all played at South Park, but he went to Seton LaSalle. He is now back at South Park.

A slight Pitt angle to all this. The coaches daughter was committed to Pitt for softball, but ended up at Oregon.

do you knwo that coaches name?

What is the harm in telling a kid you want him to play QB for your team? I think recruiting in HS should be encouraged....but also that privates should play in a different class.
If they play in another class thats fine. But private schools have no business competing against public schools, even though the best public schools are also recruiting. Even still almost all of the teams winning state Championships are private.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT