ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question about a Trib story ...

djbpitt

Sophomore
Jun 28, 2001
I'm not necessarily in the "the media are out to get us" camp but the "story" in the Tribune-Review about PN's five worst losses is a true head-scratcher.

Besides being a cut-and-paste job and having no news value whatsoever, it does beg the question: Why would you do this story now, when it's clear PN is not on any sort of hot seat right now. Would any reputable news outlet do a mid-season story like this about James Franklin? Mike Tomlin? Or any other coach who was leading the defending conference champions?

It's very worthless as a "story" but that's mostly the Trib.

I'm not necessarily in the "the media are out to get us" camp but the "story" in the Tribune-Review about PN's five worst losses is a true head-scratcher.

Besides being a cut-and-paste job and having no news value whatsoever, it does beg the question: Why would you do this story now, when it's clear PN is not on any sort of hot seat right now. Would any reputable news outlet do a mid-season story like this about James Franklin? Mike Tomlin? Or any other coach who was leading the defending conference champions?

Because the GT loss is arguably his worst loss?

They probably didn't have enough print space to do Tomlin's.

# 1: Blake Bortles

# 2: Tim Tebow

# 3: The entire month of Hell-raisin' December

# 4: I don't know... maybe that playoff loss against the Browns (even though we were pretty much exposed by then anyway)

#'s 5 - 125: All the Tomlin Special losses to the Georgia Techs of the NFL

Also, it having the 2018 UNC game on there is a miss

What are the games it lists? I'm sure GT and WMU are on there. My others would be the two UNC losses, when we were their only P5 win two years in a row, and the 2019 BC loss against a lame duck coach. Unless they're taking getting trounced into account, like Oklahoma State 2017 or Penn State 2018, etc.

I agree that it probably didnt need written as it was more of a message board post, but as a fan, I found it interesting. I actually asked on this board what were his biggest point spread losses.

So, seems like GT, WMU, and UNC were maybe his biggest point spread losses.

The 17-10 PSU loss wasnt a "bad loss," not sure why that was listed. 51-6 was due to the meltdown. We were down 7-6 with 1 minute left in the half when we fumbled.

Narduzzi has had some highs, but for some reason, the wheels completely come off in some losses.

2nd Half vs PSU
59 to OK St
52 to Clemson
44 to WMU
Cant score vs GT

He's had a fair number of games where we looked like a JV team playing vs varsity which is how the Pitt offense looked vs GT

They probably didn't have enough print space to do Tomlin's.

# 1: Blake Bortles

# 2: Tim Tebow

# 3: The entire month of Hell-raisin' December

# 4: I don't know... maybe that playoff loss against the Browns (even though we were pretty much exposed by then anyway)

#'s 5 - 125: All the Tomlin Special losses to the Georgia Techs of the NFL
This is one of those articles that have been sitting in a folder for a while. Wait for a disappointing loss and fire it off. The article questioning if Duzz is on the hot seat is in there, too. I mean, you have a football team on the other side of the building down there whose staff can't win a playoff game and wasn't giving their first round draft pick any first string reps. But you can't publish that story until the wheels fall off completely because you know it won't be received well when you show up at the next presser.

This is one of those articles that have been sitting in a folder for a while. Wait for a disappointing loss and fire it off. The article questioning if Duzz is on the hot seat is in there, too. I mean, you have a football team on the other side of the building down there whose staff can't win a playoff game and wasn't giving their first round draft pick any first string reps. But you can't publish that story until the wheels fall off completely because you know it won't be received well when you show up at the next presser.

yep, the Steeler beat must have 20 people on it between the PG, Trib, DK, Athletic. Did any of them do anything investigative on how Ingram couldn't see the field here, became disgruntled and left, and ended playing significantly for a team that was in the AFC championship game?

Reactions: pittdan77
yep, the Steeler beat must have 20 people on it between the PG, Trib, DK, Athletic. Did any of them do anything investigative on how Ingram couldn't see the field here, became disgruntled and left, and ended playing significantly for a team that was in the AFC championship game?
You'd have thought by now that someone would have looked back at the 2021 draft and asked some questions. I guess that one is in the folder for when the fan base starts dumping on Tomlin. Right now they're trying to ride out the whole "never had a losing season" story line.

The media is trash and worships boy rapists…but that’s even more reason that a really bad loss like last week hurts Pitt more than it would the Steelers, Penguins or Horseplay U. The media will dutifully apologize and cover up for their failures. For Pitt they hustle out the hack piece.

I remember the time the Trib let a nitter hate on Wanny calling him the Joe Isuzu of football. Or the time the PG let some employee rip on Pitt because Pitt was doing well with a special column for Penn State love. The PGH media is a joke. When I first moved here from Lancaster, pa. I was shocked how little respect Pitt got in the media.

Reactions: djbpitt
I didn't even realize that there still was a Trib. But I don't read the rags that they call newspapers in Pittsburgh because most of what they report is lies and misinformation, including in sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT