ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question re: Jordan Addison

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
No bashing, flaming, etc.

Did his draft stock go, down, or stay the same as a result of transferring to USC and playing with Riley and Williams this season? Is he still a first round pick? Also, would he have put up better/worse/similar numbers had he stayed at Pitt?

Final stat line with two games missed:
- 54 receptions
- 810 yards
- 15 yards/reception
- 8 touchdowns

Did his draft stock go, down, or stay the same as a result of transferring to USC and playing with Riley and Williams this season? Is he still a first round pick? Also, would he have put up better/worse/similar numbers had he stayed at Pitt?

- 54 receptions
- 810 yards
- 15 yards/reception
- 8 touchdowns
Draft Stock - Similar….. His combine will impact it more than anything.

Far Better Numbers at Pitt and he would have been a Pitt legend.

That’s about where I stand. It’s a shame he won’t be associated with Pitt once he’s in the pros, but it’s water under the bridge now.

Reactions: AnEx
Still a first round pick in all the mock drafts I’ve seen. He just might not be picked as high as he could have been if he put up bigger numbers.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
In all seriousness it’s slightly lower. I don’t know how one can theorize that he now has an injury and came back with lower numbers and that not negatively affecting draft stock. It will be a question he will have to answer at the combine as opposed to not answering it.

For Pitt, you’d have to assume he’s have better numbers than Wayne had

Draft stock the same

Would have had better numbers here (sorry Cignetti haters)

Might have made the playoff here (seriously he could have been the difference in our losses)

Better chance of making the playoff there

Missed out on Pitt immortality.

Edit: ok I was so hyped over our hoops win last night and the USA match today, I didn’t even realize that USC played last night. So….about my comment about the USC chance of making the playoff…!!!!! I take that back! Lol.

Last edited:

- 54 receptions
- 810 yards
- 15 yards/reception
- 8 touchdowns
Was thinking that last night. His stock has gone down no doubt. Had he stayed at Pitt even with Slovis he would have been two time Biletnikoff winner because we would have gone to him every time. He seemed like an after thought last night and a lot of that is because Caleb Williams is a me first kind of QB and he ain’t sharing the spotlight.

I think in the short run it was a good move for him but long term….

Yea, it mostly comes down to the combine. Forget his booster salary at USC for a second, it was probably a better decision to stay (100% hindsight) because he had a chance to put up bigger numbers here which may have improved his stock. We are also 12-0 and playing Clemson.....and maybe dont even have to beat them to get to the CFP.

Reactions: Skip74
I think it’s a wash. Would have obviously been option 1, 2, and 3 here but he would have been playing with a lesser QB and seeing enhanced coverage on every play where he couldn’t see that at USC given their other weapons. I think his biggest objective this year was to not get seriously injured and he accomplished that.

I think it’s a wash. Would have obviously been option 1, 2, and 3 here but he would have been playing with a lesser QB and seeing enhanced coverage on every play where he couldn’t see that at USC given their other weapons. I think his biggest objective this year was to not get seriously injured and he accomplished that.
To your point regarding Addison being the (obvious) top option, I wonder how that would’ve impacted Wayne’s production. I’d have to imagine he wouldn’t have reached 1,000 yards in the regular season.

To your point regarding Addison being the (obvious) top option, I wonder how that would’ve impacted Wayne’s production. I’d have to imagine he wouldn’t have reached 1,000 yards in the regular season.

Yes, agreed. I think he would have benefited the most from Addison sticking around. I think Wayne will play in the NFL but I think his stock could have been much bigger.

We will see how it turns out, but right after the NFL draft last year the Athletic did a mock for this year's draft and they had Addison going at the very end of the first round, the 31st pick iirc. Earlier this week they did their first mock draft of the season and they had Addison going 18th.

The quote was "every evaluator I’ve asked has agreed that Addison is an electric route runner with the play speed to work all levels of the field."

So yeah, clearly the move is killing him.

It definitely would have impacted Wayne greatly. With Addison, Wayne probably only has 600-700 yards max. Addison would have still had over 1000 with Slovis and still been a difference maker for Pitt. Maybe even good enough for us to win a few more.

He really meant very little to USC. I think USC is likely still about the same record wise with or without him.

As far as draft status, it really could only hurt him, however, everything will still be predicated on how he does in combine and private workouts.

I don’t think his stock changed at all. However, if he put up a comparison season to last year I believe he could’ve established himself as the clear cut No. 1 wide receiver in the draft and top-10 pick.

I know this

Pitt won a conference championship with Addison

And didn’t need 27 portal transfers to do it.

USC failed in their mission
As I mentioned in another thread, Riley thought he could win a title without a defense.

Even a decent defense might’ve beaten the Utes, but the defense that USC put on the field last night was an embarrassment. Do they even attempt to teach tackling at USC? Izzy + Hammond would’ve run for 400 against those jabronies.

As I mentioned in another thread, Riley thought he could win a title without a defense.

Even a decent defense might’ve beaten the Utes, but the defense that USC put on the field last night was an embarrassment. Do they even attempt to teach tackling at USC? Izzy + Hammond would’ve run for 400 against those jabronies.
They should have bought more defensive players.

He played against Clark Phillips who is also considered a 1st rd pick for Utah. But......I think Phillips stock rose and I can see Addison slipping down in what is not a really good WR class this year.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

His 40 time will pretty much decide if he goes mid 1st round or slips to late 1st/early 2nd.

Will be somewhat of a red flag if he pulls the “opted not to run” card.

His 40 time will pretty much decide if he goes mid 1st round or slips to late 1st/early 2nd.

Will be somewhat of a red flag if he pulls the “opted not to run” card.
His game speed is unparalleled. Crisp, explosive, disciplined…all the adjectives regarding his route running transends to the pro game. Duzz isn’t the only coach or GM looking at the tape.

His game speed is unparalleled. Crisp, explosive, disciplined…all the adjectives regarding his route running transends to the pro game. Duzz isn’t the only coach or GM looking at the tape.
I don’t disagree at all, his route running is what makes him special.

- 54 receptions
- 810 yards
- 15 yards/reception
- 8 touchdowns
Obviously, no one really knows how he's viewed by the pro's. He was super productive at Pitt. His year at USC was just average. Nothing special. Personally, I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. I don't like his size and build. I'd be worried about his ability to stay healthy at the NFL level. We'll see.

Reactions: Skip74
Obviously, no one really knows how he's viewed by the pro's. He was super productive at Pitt. His year at USC was just average. Nothing special. Personally, I wouldn't use a first round pick on him. I don't like his size and build. I'd be worried about his ability to stay healthy at the NFL level. We'll see.
Dionte Johnson, Jaylen Waddle, Stefon Diggs, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Marquise Brown, Brandin Cooks, Tyler Lockett. Who has ever heard of any of these people?

If you aren't built like DK Metcalf there is no success to be had if you're 5'10-6'0 and <200lbs.

Dionte Johnson, Jaylen Waddle, Stefon Diggs, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Godwin, Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Marquise Brown, Brandin Cooks, Tyler Lockett. Who has ever heard of any of these people?

If you aren't built like DK Metcalf there is no success to be had if you're 5'10-6'0 and <200lbs.
OK - you'd draft him....I'd pass.

Reactions: Tanat and Skip74
I know this

Pitt won a conference championship with Addison

And didn’t need 27 portal transfers to do it.

USC failed in their mission
Did they? 11-2 in Riley Year 1, a QB who’s a Heisman frontrunner and they played for their conference championship and were in the playoff conversation until they lost that championship.

They won a total of 9 games the previous 2 years.

I don’t think many Trojan fans are viewing this season as a failure. And Riley is just getting started.

It’s difficult to fix a defense in one offseason.

Offense you can grab some transfers and implement an easy college ready spread offense and see a quick turnaround.

You don’t see it as often on defense because defensive systems tend to be a little bit more difficult and tend to be far more talent driven.

Did they? 11-2 in Riley Year 1, a QB who’s a Heisman frontrunner and they played for their conference championship and were in the playoff conversation until they lost that championship.

They won a total of 9 games the previous 2 years.

I don’t think many Trojan fans are viewing this season as a failure. And Riley is just getting started.

Yep.

If you’re USC fans, based on what you saw last year and knowing Riley’s first full recruiting classes hasn’t even stepped foot on campus yet, you’re legitimately penciling your team in as a playoff contender every year over the next 10 years or however long he is there.

Reactions: CJsE
It’s difficult to fix a defense in one offseason.

Offense you can grab some transfers and implement an easy college ready spread offense and see a quick turnaround.

You don’t see it as often on defense because defensive systems tend to be a little bit more difficult and tend to be far more talent driven.
He’ll get it fixed. He has all the resources he could ever want and won’t have to drive more than 100 miles to put together a loaded D.

He’s one of that very small, exclusive group of head coaches that knows exactly what he’s doing.

If anything, his injuries hurt him.

But I don’t think going to USC moved the needle one way or another. How high in the draft he’s going to go is limited due to physical limitations. That doesn’t change at any school.

He’ll get it fixed. He has all the resources he could ever want and won’t have to drive more than 100 miles to put together a loaded D.

He’s one of that very small, exclusive group of head coaches that knows exactly what he’s doing.

Yeah.

If you’re a USC fan, what you wanted to see in terms of long term projection are:

1. Riley ignite financial investment from boosters and NIL guys, thereby signaling USC is ready to start spending like a power.

2. Improved recruiting

3. Riley’s offense show a quick turnaround since offensive systems aren’t as talent driven and he added a ton of talent anyway. If the offense struggled or even regressed that would be a bad fine.

You got almost all of that if you’re USC to the max. Recruiting could be a little better. But signing day hasn’t happened and they will probably close really strong, thereby shoring your number 2

Anything else wasn’t going to be fixed in an offseason. That defense wasn’t going to have a big turnaround.

He never got it fixed in Oklahoma.

Reactions: pittmeister
Yeah.

If you’re a USC fan, what you wanted to see in terms of long term projection are:

1. Riley ignite financial investment from boosters and NIL guys, thereby signaling USC is ready to start spending like a power.

2. Improved recruiting

3. Riley’s offense show a quick turnaround since offensive systems aren’t as talent driven and he added a ton of talent anyway. If the offense struggled or even regressed that would be a bad fine.

You got almost all of that if you’re USC to the max. Recruiting could be a little better. But signing day hasn’t happened and they will probably close really strong, thereby shoring your number 2

Anything else wasn’t going to be fixed in an offseason. That defense wasn’t going to have a big turnaround.

If I were a USC fan, today I'm thinking the ceiling on Riley is probably what he delivered at OU, and that has to be highly disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT