ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question re: Jordan Addison

No offense to anyone, honestly… I know that posters are only expressing their opinion… However, I’ll never understand this blind love affair with Addison.
Is he a top notch receiver? Yes. But if you’re a GM of a football team, there is a question that needs to be asked. Is he a number 1 receiver? If you have any doubt, then he’s not a first round pick. Based on his performance at the combine, I personally have my doubts.

Someone described him as a player that gets open and has great hands. That sounds to me like a procession type receiver (number 2).

Again if he didn’t play at Pitt, would we even be discussing him? Especially being a high pick for the Steelers? If I needed a number one receiver, I’d draft the kid from TCU.

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, honestly… I know that posters are only expressing their opinion… However, I’ll never understand this blind love affair with Addison.
Is he a top notch receiver? Yes. But if you’re a GM of a football team, there is a question that needs to be asked. Is he a number 1 receiver? If you have any doubt, then he’s not a first round pick. Based on his performance at the combine, I personally have my doubts.

Someone described him as a player that gets open and has great hands. That sounds to me like a procession type receiver (number 2).

Again if he didn’t play at Pitt, would we even be discussing him? Especially being a high pick for the Steelers? If I needed a number one receiver, I’d draft the kid from TCU.

What's your definition of a "Number 1 WR?"

What's your definition of a "Number 1 WR?"
A playmaker, with breakaway speed, elusiveness in the open field, can get open against the other teams shut down corner. and make tough catches in traffic.

It’s the difference between Antonio Brown Dionte Johnson…

A playmaker, with breakaway speed, elusiveness in the open field, can get open against the other teams shut down corner. and make tough catches in traffic.

Not sure that Quentin Johnston fits your definition. I personally don't think he does but a lot of your criteria seem subjective and hard to qualify.

Quentin Johnston didn't run so nobody knows if he has breakaway speed.

In 2021, Addison was 3rd all time in the ACC in YAC. He was 3rd among qualifying WRs (>100 targets) in YAC/reception. He's elusive.

Johnston looked pretty shut down against UGA when he went for 6 yards! Johnston had 6 games under 50 yards WR in 2022. Addison had 3. He only had 1 in 2021. Are you a "Number 1 WR" if you're invisible in half of your games?

Making the tough catch: Jordan Addison had a 3% drop rate in 2022. Quentin Johnston had an almost 11% drop rate.

I'm not an Addison stan. I think he's a quality prospect, though. As I've said many times, I think the "Number 1 WR" thing is meaningless. People like Johnston because he's big and jumped high/far in shorts. None of those things matter for NFL WR. He is not a better WR than Jordan Addison. Maybe he will be someday, but today he is not.

Reactions: Ski11585
Not sure that Quentin Johnston fits your definition. I personally don't think he does but a lot of your criteria seem subjective and hard to qualify.

Quentin Johnston didn't run so nobody knows if he has breakaway speed.

In 2021, Addison was 3rd all time in the ACC in YAC. He was 3rd among qualifying WRs (>100 targets) in YAC/reception. He's elusive.

Johnston looked pretty shut down against UGA when he went for 6 yards! Johnston had 6 games under 50 yards WR in 2022. Addison had 3. He only had 1 in 2021. Are you a "Number 1 WR" if you're invisible in half of your games?

Making the tough catch: Jordan Addison had a 3% drop rate in 2022. Quentin Johnston had an almost 11% drop rate.

I'm not an Addison stan. I think he's a quality prospect, though. As I've said many times, I think the "Number 1 WR" thing is meaningless. People like Johnston because he's big and jumped high/far in shorts. None of those things matter for NFL WR. He is not a better WR than Jordan Addison. Maybe he will be someday, but today he is not.
It’s hard to tell until they get in the league and perform. He may reach another level. Brown was a 6th round pick, so you never know…Drafting is like recruiting. Some people see a three star player. Others see the same player as a five star player…

A true #1 in my book is one you change coverages and game plans for.

A true #1 instantly improves the run game because he forces some kind of bracket, robber type coverage.

A true #1 has the ability to win in the redzone without being schemed up.

All my opinion..

Reactions: pittmeister
Q. Johnson has big bust potential, IMO.

Yep. Huge, fast, Big 12 WR that fails to play as big and quick as his physical profile and isn't a technical route runner. Where have we seen this before? How about Jalen Raegor, Denzel Mims, Jalen Hurd, Hakeem Butler, Josh Doctson, Kevin White, Corey Coleman, I mean I could go on and on.

I'm fine missing on these unrefined, athletic, Big 12 WR. They don't have a good track record.

From a measurables standpoint Addison is a lot more like Antonio Brown than Diontae Johnson.

You never know how things are gonna work out for any player at the next level, but a guy who puts up almost 2000 yards from scrimmage and 20 TDs in one season, playing in any style of offense, is generally not going to project as a possession type receiver. Addison has been a playmaker his whole career and will continue to be one. There's a lot more to making plays at any level than straight line speed. Some players just have "it"--like AB, and IMO, like Addison.

As for Johnston, his production was nothing great in a pass happy offense. The scouting report is that he's inconsistent with his hands and routes. So I'm skeptical of him as a high first round pick.

Smith Njigba is probably the best of the bunch and would be in just about any draft class. Addison next, IMO. His slight build is an issue. His 40 time, like Antonio Brown's, is not.

As for the love affair thing, speaking only for myself, it's not a love affair, it's more about taking issue with posters who are constantly bashing his talent because he jilted them when he left Pitt. Childish.

From a measurables standpoint Addison is a lot more like Antonio Brown than Diontae Johnson.

You never know how things are gonna work out for any player at the next level, but a guy who puts up almost 2000 yards from scrimmage and 20 TDs in one season, playing in any style of offense, is generally not going to project as a possession type receiver. Addison has been a playmaker his whole career and will continue to be one. There's a lot more to making plays at any level than straight line speed. Some players just have "it"--like AB, and IMO, like Addison.

As for Johnston, his production was nothing great in a pass happy offense. The scouting report is that he's inconsistent with his hands and routes. So I'm skeptical of him as a high first round pick.

Smith Njigba is probably the best of the bunch and would be in just about any draft class. Addison next, IMO. His slight build is an issue. His 40 time, like Antonio Brown's, is not.

As for the love affair thing, speaking only for myself, it's not a love affair, it's more about taking issue with posters who are constantly bashing his talent because he jilted them when he left Pitt. Childish.
My biggest beef is posters who want the Steelers to draft him because he’s Jordan Addison and he played at Pitt. To me the Steelers have many needs, WR is not as critical other positions.

The Steelers need a 3rd WR. You don’t select a WR high in the draft to be a 3rd WR. That position can wait another year. Pickett needs protection and the defense needs to stop somebody, especially when Watt is not in the line up….

My biggest beef is posters who want the Steelers to draft him because he’s Jordan Addison and he played at Pitt. To me the Steelers have many needs, WR is not as critical other positions.

The Steelers need a 3rd WR. You don’t select a WR high in the draft to be a 3rd WR. That position can wait another year. Pickett needs protection and the defense needs to stop somebody, especially when Watt is not in the line up….

I don't think I've seen a single person post unironically that the Steelers should draft Addison because he is Jordan Addison and he played at Pitt. That's certainly not even close to the majority view of the people, like me, who have defended Addison.

Think these demons you're chasing are in your head, bud.

Reactions: HTownSteeler
I don't think I've seen a single person post unironically that the Steelers should draft Addison because he is Jordan Addison and he played at Pitt. That's certainly not even close to the majority view of the people, like me, who have defended Addison.

Think these demons you're chasing are in your head, bud.
Of course no one comes out and says it, Jack.

There’s been constant talk about drafting Addison if he were available when the Steelers pick. Why? Because he played at Pitt? If he didn’t play at Pitt I firmly believe there wouldn’t be any talk about Addison or the WR position.

People who actually follows the Steelers closely and cover the Steelers for a living will tell you that the Steelers could use 3rd receiver, but no earlier than the 3rd round… The Steelers have many needs and while getting another WR is important it’s not in the top 3 of needs…

No demons in my head, just common sense….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT