ADVERTISEMENT

Shattered Expectations?

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
It seems to me that many Pitt hoops fans had unreasonable expectations as to what they would see right out of the gate this season. They seemed to expect that Hugley would be an instantaneous ACC level upgrade on the inside and that Horton would be scoring in double figures by sinking say, 3 to-5 3-pointers each game and that the entire team would be playing better than it was at the end of last season when it beat Wake Forest in the ACC Tourney opening round.

Clearly any such expectations for the team starting this season at that level have now been shattered and the fans who held them are now searching in their impatience and frustration for somewhere to place the blame.

So far, the blame is mostly falling on what is perceived as poor coaching (I am not ready to agree or disagree about that after only two games). Some have reminisced and expressed the view they would be happy to see a team coached like a Jamie Dixon coached team--in your face defense and a highly structured offense that depends on a slow plodding pace and running set plays.

Taking into account that Pitt is far from the only team playing poorly, especially on defense, in this very early Covid protocols impacted season (Cuse gave up 50 1st-half points to Bryant), what should we realistically expect to ultimately really see this season?

My guess is that we should eventually and ultimately see a team at least the equivalent of last year's team and very possibly stronger late in the season. Right now the team is probably where it would have been last year after the loss to Nicholls State and Capel seems to have been intentionally increasing the risk of losing games by giving as much PT as he has to so many of the freshmen. He has freely admitted in interviews that he is still experimenting to see what the freshman are capable of (and not just Hugley and Jeffress). Other than Amadasun all the rest have gotten some minutes and he hasn't given up on Drumgoole being able to contribute, either.

IMHO, things will get significantly better once more games have been played and all the freshmen contributors--but particularly Hugley and Jeffress get more acclimated to the college game.

What does worry me the most is how much this team will suffer by not having the Oakland Zoo and a crowded Pete to energize it for home games.

I am in agreement that this team has a chance to grow and get better as the season goes which hasn't happened under Capel yet. My biggest concern by far is this team's on ball defense. We get beaten so easily off the dribble and then the defense gets out of position and almost always give up an open three because we can't recover. It didn't cost us against Drexel but did against St. Francis.

We have to get better on the ball. I can recall many instances in ACC games last year where we would fight hard and get close only to have a defensive breakdown and give up a three that breaks our back. To make real progress, we have to defend hard or we are gonna get lit up by the three ball again.

It seems to me that many Pitt hoops fans had unreasonable expectations as to what they would see right out of the gate this season.

I agree. I mean what a bunch of idiots those fans were who thought that Pitt should at least be able to compete with St. Francis! And not just any St. Francis, but the one from PA rather than the one from NY! How could anyone have thought something so supremely stupid?

Silly fans.

🤪

I agree. I mean what a bunch of idiots those fans were who thought that Pitt should at least be able to compete with St. Francis! And not just any St. Francis, but the one from PA rather than the one from NY! How could anyone have thought something so supremely stupid?

Silly fans.

🤪
Silly fans, we expected to not finish in last place for the 3rd straight year while paying the staff over 4 million dollars.

Reactions: FireballZ
I am in agreement that this team has a chance to grow and get better as the season goes which hasn't happened under Capel yet. My biggest concern by far is this team's on ball defense. We get beaten so easily off the dribble and then the defense gets out of position and almost always give up an open three because we can't recover. It didn't cost us against Drexel but did against St. Francis.

We have to get better on the ball. I can recall many instances in ACC games last year where we would fight hard and get close only to have a defensive breakdown and give up a three that breaks our back. To make real progress, we have to defend hard or we are gonna get lit up by the three ball again.
I don't think we can play full shot clock seconds of good defense.

Maybe we should try for a positive result and accept a negative result earlier in the clock - Really go after turnovers, at worst "make" our opponent play fast.

It seems to me that many Pitt hoops fans had unreasonable expectations as to what they would see right out of the gate this season. They seemed to expect that Hugley would be an instantaneous ACC level upgrade on the inside and that Horton would be scoring in double figures by sinking say, 3 to-5 3-pointers each game and that the entire team would be playing better than it was at the end of last season when it beat Wake Forest in the ACC Tourney opening round.

Clearly any such expectations for the team starting this season at that level have now been shattered and the fans who held them are now searching in their impatience and frustration for somewhere to place the blame.

So far, the blame is mostly falling on what is perceived as poor coaching (I am not ready to agree or disagree about that after only two games). Some have reminisced and expressed the view they would be happy to see a team coached like a Jamie Dixon coached team--in your face defense and a highly structured offense that depends on a slow plodding pace and running set plays.

Taking into account that Pitt is far from the only team playing poorly, especially on defense, in this very early Covid protocols impacted season (Cuse gave up 50 1st-half points to Bryant), what should we realistically expect to ultimately really see this season?

My guess is that we should eventually and ultimately see a team at least the equivalent of last year's team and very possibly stronger late in the season. Right now the team is probably where it would have been last year after the loss to Nicholls State and Capel seems to have been intentionally increasing the risk of losing games by giving as much PT as he has to so many of the freshmen. He has freely admitted in interviews that he is still experimenting to see what the freshman are capable of (and not just Hugley and Jeffress). Other than Amadasun all the rest have gotten some minutes and he hasn't given up on Drumgoole being able to contribute, either.

IMHO, things will get significantly better once more games have been played and all the freshmen contributors--but particularly Hugley and Jeffress get more acclimated to the college game.

What does worry me the most is how much this team will suffer by not having the Oakland Zoo and a crowded Pete to energize it for home games.

Some people need to have a little more patience and a bit more common sense. And Im not saying that in a mean way.

The other day after the St. Francis loss I highlighted the importance of taking care of the basketball and not turning the basketball over or big problems were coming. I also highlighted the importance of point guard play and not forcing the the play.

In the last 2 days, Duke was a 38 point favorite over a 10 win Coppin State team. Duke won by 10 points because they couldnt stop themselves from turning the basketball over. This is a HOF coach and one of the Top 2 college coaches ever having this problem and needing NBA talent against Coppin State to survive.

Right now Kentucky is getting worked at home by Richmond because Kentucky cannot stop turning the basketball over. They are pushing 20 turnovers so far down 16
points to Richmond, sound familiar?

This isnt a normal season with the scrimmages and the tune ups games etc.. A quality coach is going to address the problem. While Pitt still has a number of issues and a lot of work to do, we addressed the turnover issue from the first game. 1 loss doesnt end a season.

Some people need to have a little more patience and a bit more common sense. And Im not saying that in a mean way.

The other day after the St. Francis loss I highlighted the importance of taking care of the basketball and not turning the basketball over or big problems were coming. I also highlighted the importance of point guard play and not forcing the the play.

In the last 2 days, Duke was a 38 point favorite over a 10 win Coppin State team. Duke won by 10 points because they couldnt stop themselves from turning the basketball over. This is a HOF coach and one of the Top 2 college coaches ever having this problem and needing NBA talent against Coppin State to survive.

Right now Kentucky is getting worked at home by Richmond because Kentucky cannot stop turning the basketball over. They are pushing 20 turnovers so far down 16

This isnt a normal season with the scrimmages and the tune ups games etc.. A quality coach is going to address the problem. While Pitt still has a number of issues and a lot of work to do, we addressed the turnover issue from the first game. 1 loss doesnt end a season.
Wow. I never thought about how important turning it over was before you highlighted it. Especially referencing a team that won in their game and another (which is much younger than us) losing to a top 25 team. NOW losing to shitty st Francis doesn’t matter!

btw, Horton is exactly what I told u he was.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Richmond is a borderline Top 25 team that will be ranked in the next poll. Should they be beating Kentucky in Lexington? No, there are only 8-9 schools that should ever be able to do that. That said, Richmond is a very good team, and one that would be a double digit favorite over us. Not remotely comparable to St. Francis.

Seriously. I mean who would have thought that turning the ball over 23 times was a bad thing and might lead a team to lose a game to an inferior opponent?
Well did the poster you adore and admire simply state if ya turn the ball over 23 times bad things happen? Not at all. As usual you snared a line of context and for once thankfully didn’t bless us with any researched items you unearthed. I thought a great point was that the coaching will happen after the first game and then continue game to game. Pitt was scrimmaging against highschoolers this fall. There weren’t any secret scrimmages or crosstown tournaments to gain an understanding of the roster. Bunch of freshmen battling each other. We know all too well how you and the Insider jump to the keyboard the instant Vader posts something. We get it. Vader’s material is more refreshing than your lazy retorts.

Well did the poster you adore and admire simply state if ya turn the ball over 23 times bad things happen? Not at all. As usual you snared a line of context and for once thankfully didn’t bless us with any researched items you unearthed. I thought a great point was that the coaching will happen after the first game and then continue game to game. Pitt was scrimmaging against highschoolers this fall. There weren’t any secret scrimmages or crosstown tournaments to gain an understanding of the roster. Bunch of freshmen battling each other. We know all too well how you and the Insider jump to the keyboard the instant Vader posts something. We get it. Vader’s material is more refreshing than your lazy retorts.
Of course it is. It makes you believe fantasies

Richmond is a borderline Top 25 team that will be ranked in the next poll. Should they be beating Kentucky in Lexington? No, there are only 8-9 schools that should ever be able to do that. That said, Richmond is a very good team, and one that would be a double digit favorite over us. Not remotely comparable to St. Francis.

Im aware of Richmond. Im also aware they were beating Kentucky by 16 points with 1 minute left in the game. The game was a blowout and wasnt even close in the 2nd half.

Generally I don't do this but just to make a point because some of you need it.

In 2011 a certain team named the Butler Bulldogs lost to Youngstown State, Valparaiso, Wright State, Evansville, and Milwaukee twice just to name a few. That Youngstown State team that beat Butler won 9 total games for the entire season and was one of the worst losses of any NCAA Tournament team. Butler was 14-9 at that particular point in the season and had lost 4 of their last 5 games, including the mighty Youngstown State Penguins and a 24 point ass kicking by Milwaukee.

Then, Butler got things turned around February 5th, 2/3's deep into the season. They proceeded to

1) Win their Conference Tournament

2) Beat #1 Seed Jamie Dixon's Pitt Panthers in the 2nd round, winning 14 games in a row

3) Go to the final 4 and advance all the way to the National Title game

You may proceed with your excuses and spin cycle again as to how this happened and how #1 Seed Pitt led by Jamie Dixon lost to Butler.

Im aware of Richmond. Im also aware they were beating Kentucky by 16 points with 1 minute left in the game. The game was a blowout and wasnt even close in the 2nd half.

Generally I don't do this but just to make a point because some of you need it.

In 2011 a certain team named the Butler Bulldogs lost to Youngstown State, Valparaiso, Wright State, Evansville, and Milwaukee twice just to name a few. That Youngstown State team that beat Butler won 9 total games for the entire season and was one of the worst losses of any NCAA Tournament team. Butler was 14-9 at that particular point in the season and had lost 4 of their last 5 games, including the mighty Youngstown State Penguins and a 24 point ass kicking by Milwaukee.

Then, Butler got things turned around February 5th, 2/3's deep into the season. They proceeded to

1) Win their Conference Tournament

2) Beat #1 Seed Jamie Dixon's Pitt Panthers in the 2nd round, winning 14 games in a row

3) Go to the final 4 and advance all the way to the National Title game

You may proceed with your excuses and spin cycle again as to how this happened and how #1 Seed Pitt led by Jamie Dixon lost to Butler.
Because Gilbert Brown missed the second FT

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Because Gilbert Brown missed the second FT

That, and in the last minute of the game, we were called for a shot clock violation, then called a TO to set up defense, only to give up a layup to the late Andrew Smith I beleive.

I know people hate the Scottie Reynolds game, but that one will always be worse for me. And from my vantage point in the arena, that Gilbert Brown FT was in, was stunned it rimmed out. He had a heck of a game too IIRC.

That, and in the last minute of the game, we were called for a shot clock violation, then called a TO to set up defense, only to give up a layup to the late Andrew Smith I beleive.

I know people hate the Scottie Reynolds game, but that one will always be worse for me. And from my vantage point in the arena, that Gilbert Brown FT was in, was stunned it rimmed out. He had a heck of a game too IIRC.

This sounds horrible, but in the Scottie Reynolds game I didn’t feel nearly as much disappointment as most probably did. Part of me was relieved that we had come that close and finally lived up to our pre-tournament billing. People tend to forget that even with all the regular and BE tournament success Pitt was somewhat of a punchline nationally for their repeated NCAA early flameouts. Like it or not that was the perception.

The Goheen game will always be the toughest for me to swallow, Butler definitely a close second.

This sounds horrible, but in the Scottie Reynolds game I didn’t feel nearly as much disappointment as most probably did. Part of me was relieved that we had come that close and finally lived up to our pre-tournament billing. People tend to forget that even with all the regular and BE tournament success Pitt was somewhat of a punchline nationally for their repeated NCAA early flameouts. Like it or not that was the perception.

The Goheen game will always be the toughest for me to swallow, Butler definitely a close second.

I mean, if we’re playing the “what if” game, the Kent St loss was pretty bad as well. That bracket and tournament was set up perfectly, and Pitt might have been favorites to go all the way to the final game (where IU went) if they had just gotten past Kent.

But I’m with you. We had reservations for Detroit so I was pretty bummed about that loss, but that team played its heart out and won two games (OK St and Xavier) which other Pitt teams would have lost for sure.

i was a little young for Goheen, but that probably was Pitt’s most talented team, and to not even make the Sweet 16 is a bit of a travesty.

I mean, if we’re playing the “what if” game, the Kent St loss was pretty bad as well. That bracket and tournament was set up perfectly, and Pitt might have been favorites to go all the way to the final game (where IU went) if they had just gotten past Kent.

But I’m with you. We had reservations for Detroit so I was pretty bummed about that loss, but that team played its heart out and won two games (OK St and Xavier) which other Pitt teams would have lost for sure.

i was a little young for Goheen, but that probably was Pitt’s most talented team, and to not even make the Sweet 16 is a bit of a travesty.

Another reason the Villanova game maybe didn’t sting quite as much is it was something of a miracle we were even in that position at the end. That game was pretty much over in the last few minutes then they let us back in it.

Kent St was lousy too obviously, had we not been getting ready to move across the country I probably would’ve been there in person and had to sit through it. They were all frustrating, add the Oklahoma St and UCLA games in there too.

Will add one sad postscript about the Goheen game. I remember being stunned after he hit the shot, and from what was said later the players felt much the same.

Right when the OT was ready to start our TV signal cut out, not sure if it was locally or nationally or what. When they finally got it fixed and tuned back in Pitt was already losing and Charles Smith had fouled out for getting a technical for hanging on the rim. Pitt never got up after that and then depression set in.

Have never seen that missing 1:30 or so of the OT and have no clue if that call was legitimate or not.

Another reason the Villanova game maybe didn’t sting quite as much is it was something of a miracle we were even in that position at the end. That game was pretty much over in the last few minutes then they let us back in it.

Kent St was lousy too obviously, had we not been getting ready to move across the country I probably would’ve been there in person and had to sit through it. They were all frustrating, add the Oklahoma St and UCLA games in there too.

I was in Boston but I wouldn't at all say it was pretty much over in the last few minutes. We were down two and shooting with a minute and a few seconds.

After a couple of misses, VU rebounded and we fouled and they hit two foul shots, but Sam hit a three to cut it back to one with 40 seconds.

I did feel like it was over though when we fouled, they hit a pair, and then we missed, and had to foul with just 20 seconds. That was when it first felt like it was over. But like you said, it was something of a miracle that we tied it after that.

I was in Boston but I wouldn't at all say it was pretty much over in the last few minutes. We were down two and shooting with a minute and a few seconds.

After a couple of misses, VU rebounded and we fouled and they hit two foul shots, but Sam hit a three to cut it back to one with 40 seconds.

I did feel like it was over though when we fouled, they hit a pair, and then we missed, and had to foul with just 20 seconds. That was when it first felt like it was over. But like you said, it was something of a miracle that we tied it after that.

Different topic, but did you see my post above about losing the TV feed before the start of OT in the Vandy game?

I was not kidding that I still have no clue to this day if it was a local thing or widespread. All I remember is when it popped back on Pitt was down and Smith had fouled out.

I thought a great point was that the coaching will happen after the first game and then continue game to game.

That is a great point. I mean who on earth would ever suspect that coaching will happen after the first game? And then not just that, but continue from game to game? Seriously, who knew?

Can you please confirm or deny for us if any coaching occurred before the first game, or did they wait until after the first game to start that up?

I can remember sitting there in Rupp after Indiana beat Duke saying to my buddy "all we have to do is beat Kent State and we are going to the Final Four." All we had to do.

The Villanova game was a kick in the junk because when we took the lead with a few minutes left my son said to me "if we win this game are we going to the Final Four next weekend?" And I said yes, but let's wait until the game's over to talk about that. A trip to the Final Four with my then 14 year old (iirc) son would have been a great once in a lifetime trip, no matter the result.

Different topic, but did you see my post above about losing the TV feed before the start of OT in the Vandy game?

I was not kidding that I still have no clue to this day if it was a local thing or widespread. All I remember is when it popped back on Pitt was down and Smith had fouled out.
Definitely remember that. It was just about the first 1:30 of OT like you said. My memory of it was that CBS just didn’t “bother” to come back to the game right away.

My other memory was screaming at the TV and CBS in my Atwood Street apartment.

Unfortunately, I was at the Vanderbilt tourney game in Lincoln, Nebraska.....Goheen’s shot was a true stunner and just changed momentum...then, Will Perdue fouls out in OT, and we just had nothing in the tank in OT...hard to sit there and watch it.

the interesting thing about that year is Kansas won...and every tourney game they played, their opposition (except for final) had just beaten a higher seeded team...I thought that was our year....

Goheen did it again in regular season at the buzzer the next year, and they had to replay the shot against PITT all over again...

our time (in a positive way) is coming!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I can remember sitting there in Rupp after Indiana beat Duke saying to my buddy "all we have to do is beat Kent State and we are going to the Final Four." All we had to do.

The Villanova game was a kick in the junk because when we took the lead with a few minutes left my son said to me "if we win this game are we going to the Final Four next weekend?" And I said yes, but let's wait until the game's over to talk about that. A trip to the Final Four with my then 14 year old (iirc) son would have been a great once in a lifetime trip, no matter the result.

I was there too. I’ll never forget the energy of the IU-Duke game to almost the complete let down of the Pitt-Kent game, just in terms of crowd and atmosphere.

Last play of the game (regulation) Brandin just gives the ball up to Page, and we don’t get a great shot. I always thought he should have kept it. Then he fouls our early in OT and we’re done.

Blame me. I was at all 3 of those losses. The Butler game was like a Pitt home game. Never seen that many Pitt fans at a game outside of Pittsburgh. The Metro on the way back was crammed with 90% Pitt fans which was a weird sight in Washington, DC

I was there too. I’ll never forget the energy of the IU-Duke game to almost the complete let down of the Pitt-Kent game, just in terms of crowd and atmosphere.

Last play of the game (regulation) Brandin just gives the ball up to Page, and we don’t get a great shot. I always thought he should have kept it. Then he fouls our early in OT and we’re done.

Same as you and Joe. Was on a bit of a high after the IU win. Still get a sick feeling in my stomach every time this comes up.

Did you miss the whole point of his post or just ignored it?
Too wordy to read his whole post. Always self aggrandizing way too long and fantasy.

I mean to dump on Jamie Dixon for losing to Jay Wright and Brad Stevens on flukes to justify getting your ass kicked by Rob Krimmel somehow is... something.

Reactions: Ski11585
Blame me. I was at all 3 of those losses. The Butler game was like a Pitt home game. Never seen that many Pitt fans at a game outside of Pittsburgh. The Metro on the way back was crammed with 90% Pitt fans which was a weird sight in Washington, DC

I was at 2 of the 3. The Pitt Butler game was basically a Pitt home game, although I think the UConn fans started pulling for Butler too.

That was the first time I ever felt like Jamie was in trouble here. People were Pissed as they left that arena. Not stunned, but viscerally angry.

In Year 3, with 4 starters back in what has become a very mediocre conference, it is not unrealistic to think this team expect this team to challenge for an NCAAT bid. No one is saying its NCAAT or else but we should be in the conversation late in the season. And Year 4, its a requirement. The problem is that we don't look anywhere close to that.

Too wordy to read his whole post. Always self aggrandizing way too long and fantasy.

I mean to dump on Jamie Dixon for losing to Jay Wright and Brad Stevens on flukes to justify getting your ass kicked by Rob Krimmel somehow is... something.

I don't think that's was his point at all. Lol.

No his point as always is to excuse why whoever played bad as nothing and shift all blame from the coaching staff.

He said after St Francis that we were getting Blair level production from the center spot. No reason to read another word after that.

No his point as always is to excuse why whoever played bad as nothing and shift all blame from the coaching staff.

He said after St Francis that we were getting Blair level production from the center spot. No reason to read another word after that.

He reminds me of Charlie Murphy telling how Prince and The Revolution beat him in Basketball.

All Vader needs to add is that Femi made Pancakes, Pancakes Man.

It wasn't. He can't read or focus.

The whole point of the post was to show Butler was getting beat up by bad teams, getting blown out, etc... They lost to a 9 win Youngstown State team and were getting worked by bad teams game after game.

Then 2/3 into the season they flipped the switch and went to the Final 4 again. Because the coaches and the players never gave up on the season.

The whole point of the post was to show Butler was getting beat up by bad teams, getting blown out, etc... They lost to a 9 win Youngstown State team and were getting worked by bad teams game after game.

Then 2/3 into the season they flipped the switch and went to the Final 4 again. Because the coaches and the players never gave up on the season.
That’s it. They went to a final 4. AGAIN.

WHAT HAS THIS PROGRAM DONE AGAIN? finish in last place 2 years in a row under Capel. looks like a 3rd is pretty likely.

Lol yes. I should’ve read the context of a return F4 trip by one of the best coaches in the game being very comparable to losing st fkn Francis. Bro who TF are you kidding?

Losses happen. We all knew this. They KICKED OUR ASS. It’s not the loss, it’s how it happened.

expecting pitt to beat st francis isnt unrealistic. it doesnt take 3 years of experience to produce at the college level. it happens all across country, freshmen and sophomore playing well.

only pitt fans, football and basketball, think it's unrealistic for a first or second year player to not be a liability..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT