ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Lee ineligible

Jun 3, 2023
Pitt commit and Harrisburg superstar Shawn Lee was denied in his appeal for eligability this season. Maybe good news for Pitt because another big season may have gotten bigger fish involved. Could he go and play somewhere out of state?

I saw that bit of news but I don't know the backstory. What happened?
The PIAA has a rule that once you start ninth grade you have 4 years/8 semesters to complete 4 years of eligibility ....... Shawn Lee started ninth grade in the 2020-2021 school year (Covid year) and apparently did remote learning and didn't play football ....... he repeated ninth grade the next year (2021-2022) and started to play varsity football ....... did tenth grade in 2022-2023 and eleventh grade in 2023-2024 which completed his 4 years from his initial start of ninth grade in 2020-2021 and exhausted his eligibility for varsity football in the PIAA even though he is a senior grade wise this year ..... I think the family argued that he should get an exemption for the Covid year where he didn't play football and the remote learning apparently didn't go well and he was forced to repeat ninth grade ..... his District and the PIAA on his appeal both disagreed and ruled him ineligible as their rule is clear about once you start ninth grade for the first time, the clock starts running on the 4 year/8 semester rule (and they are consecutive years/semesters) and it doesn't make any difference when you start playing football .....

I would guess his options are to accept the PIAA ruling and finish his senior year at his present high school without playing football or get a lawyer and take the issue to court to see if the PIAA ruling can be overturned, or go to a high school that is not part of the PIAA like St. Frances in Baltimore or maybe Kiski Prep in Saltsburg, Pa and play there ....... in any case, good luck to him and still hope he ends up at Pitt next year !

The PIAA has a rule that once you start ninth grade you have 4 years/8 semesters to complete 4 years of eligibility ....... Shawn Lee started ninth grade in the 2020-2021 school year (Covid year) and apparently did remote learning and didn't play football ....... he repeated ninth grade the next year (2021-2022) and started to play varsity football ....... did tenth grade in 2022-2023 and eleventh grade in 2023-2024 which completed his 4 years from his initial start of ninth grade in 2020-2021 and exhausted his eligibility for varsity football in the PIAA even though he is a senior grade wise this year ..... I think the family argued that he should get an exemption for the Covid year where he didn't play football and the remote learning apparently didn't go well and he was forced to repeat ninth grade ..... his District and the PIAA on his appeal both disagreed and ruled him ineligible as their rule is clear about once you start ninth grade for the first time, the clock starts running on the 4 year/8 semester rule (and they are consecutive years/semesters) and it doesn't make any difference when you start playing football .....

I would guess his options are to accept the PIAA ruling and finish his senior year at his present high school without playing football or get a lawyer and take the issue to court to see if the PIAA ruling can be overturned, or go to a high school that is not part of the PIAA like St. Frances in Baltimore or maybe Kiski Prep in Saltsburg, Pa and play there ....... in any case, good luck to him and still hope he ends up at Pitt next year !
Thank you for the explanation. Sounds to me like a prep school would have been the way to go.

Should have attended a private school. He would be eligible.

Reactions: pittdan77
Sucks for the kid, but maybe better for us? Rest up and come in the winter with an attitude ready too play. He will be hungry, or should I saw hangry LOL

I know the cat's out of the bag with how well established redshirting is in college football, and I'm probably in the minority feeling this way, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 years/8 semesters rule in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT