ADVERTISEMENT

Shawn Lee to Pitt

Another underwhelming pickup, based upon competing offers.

Impossible to get excited about this class, the future under Narduzzi, and quite frankly, the future of the entire football program.

The kool aiders will rip me apart....but i am right on this.

Working Battlestar Galactica GIF

Impossible to get excited about this class, the future under Narduzzi, and quite frankly, the future of the entire football program.

Bro give it a rest. This is ridiculous do you know how many four-star recruits we had that showed up here with 20 plus offers and didn't do crap and people who came in as two stars and low three stars who were drafted into the NFL why don't you just relax.

Keep your receipts and get back to us in 4 years.

I have no problem with this one as I trust the staff with DBs.

Yeah, I mean 100%. You should have ended it many years ago.

Bro give it a rest. This is ridiculous do you know how many four-star recruits we had that showed up here with 20 plus offers and didn't do crap and people who came in as two stars and low three stars who were drafted into the NFL why don't you just relax.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't recruit 4 star players. Better to get the low P4/G5 recruits because Aaron Donald was that. That's how you win.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't recruit 4 star players. Better to get the low P4/G5 recruits because Aaron Donald was that. That's how you win.

Yeah, I mean Aaron Donald was a Composite 4 star...

Composite 4 Star

But Rivals only had him as a 5.7 3 star (5.8 = 4 star)

So let's just round him down to a 2 star and use him as anecdotal evidence for decades as to why recruiting rankings don't matter.

While we're at it, let's continue to reference the one semi noteworthy season we've had out of the last 42 as proof that recruiting at this level works. I believe it was Meatloaf who sang 1 out of 42 ain't bad.

Of course, we did only finish 13th, so I'm not even sure how noteworthy it is... as Pitt fans bury other programs who finished much higher much more often recently.

"TCU sucks... we don't wanna be like them"

"Baylor sucks... we don't wanna be like them"

"OK State sucks... we don't wanna be like them"

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You've got to give Pitt fans props: they're a special kind of breed.

Yeah, I mean Aaron Donald was a Composite 4 star...

Composite 4 Star

But Rivals only had him as a 5.7 3 star (5.8 = 4 star)

So let's just round him down to a 2 star and use him as anecdotal evidence for decades as to why recruiting rankings don't matter.

While we're at it, let's continue to reference the one semi noteworthy season we've had out of the last 42 as proof that recruiting at this level works. I believe it was Meatloaf who sang 1 out of 42 ain't bad.

Of course, we did only finish 13th, so I'm not even sure how noteworthy it is... as Pitt fans bury other programs who finished much higher much more often recently.

"Baylor sucks... we don't wanna be like them"

"OK State sucks... we don't wanna be like them"

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You've got to give Pitt fans props: they're a special kind of breed.
Donald’s offer sheet was Rutgers, Akron, Toledo, and Pitt at the time he committed to Pitt. He was a 3-star at that point. There are a ton of articles out there about teams shying away from him because of his size.

Reactions: pittmeister
Donald’s offer sheet was Rutgers, Akron, Toledo, and Pitt at the time he committed to Pitt. He was a 3-star at that point. There are a ton of articles out there about teams shying away from him because of his size.

He was a Composite 4 star. It's literally right there for you to see, whether you choose to ignore it or not.

The "offers" logic is also faulty. Even beyond what is committable and what isn't, recruiting sites did not used to list comprehensive offers lists. They just changed it a few years ago, in fact. So when Dorin Dickerson's page lists only five offers, well, it's just not true. He has talked on the FAN about the schools that were trying to recruit him, including Saban at Alabama,

He was a Composite 4 star. It's literally right there for you to see, whether you choose to ignore it or not.

The "offers" logic is also faulty. Even beyond what is committable and what isn't, recruiting sites did not used to list comprehensive offers lists. They just changed it a few years ago, in fact. So when Dorin Dickerson's page lists only five offers, well, it's just not true. He has talked on the FAN about the schools that were trying to recruit him, including Saban at Alabama,

I know you struggle with reading comprehension, but there’s an entire article.

I know you struggle with reading comprehension, but there’s an entire article.

Again, he was a Composite 4 star. I didn't talk about his specific offers, you pom pom-waving fruit loop; I talked about offers as a whole.

Nor does anyone doubt that some under-recruited players - even ones who are much lower than Composite 4 stars - turn out to be really good players. It's about applying probability to it all. You're a fool if you don't think I can give you 10+ guys who were 2 and low 3 stars who weren't very good for every one you can give me who was very good.

Again, he was a Composite 4 star. I didn't talk about his specific offers, you pom pom-waving fruit loop; I talked about offers as a whole.

Nor does anyone doubt that some under-recruited players - even ones who are much lower than Composite 4 stars - turn out to be really good players. It's about applying probability to it all. You're a fool if you don't think I can give you 10+ guys who were 2 and low 3 stars who weren't very good for every one you can give me who was very good.
A three-star prospect, Donald was ranked 353rd nationally and 12th in Pennsylvania in the 247Sports Composite. This is directly from the article and was the after the season.

You keep saying he was a composite 4 star. Which recruiting sites were used for the “composite” ranking?

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
A three-star prospect, Donald was ranked 353rd nationally and 12th in Pennsylvania in the 247Sports Composite. This is directly from the article and was the after the season.

You keep saying he was a composite 4 star. Which recruiting sites were used for the “composite” ranking?

First off, 353rd nationally is REALLY freaking high. You know that, right? So regardless of whether we're calling him 3 or 4, that's a high national ranking. If everyone we recruited was in the top 353, we would be competing for national championships.

But here - click this link and count the number of yellow thingies with five points:

(You may have to click on "view recruiting profile" on the right side first)

First off, 353rd nationally is REALLY freaking high. You know that, right?

But here - click this link and count the number of yellow thingies with five points:

Sure - after he had a monster senior season they made him a high 3 star. All the facts are listed in the article I attached with direct quotes from coaches.

Which recruiting sites were used in his “composite” ranking? Surely you can list them since that is your main point.

First off, 353rd nationally is REALLY freaking high. You know that, right?

Click on the recruit rank history (clock next to 370 national ranking). He was .8893 in 2013, which was a 3 star. Says he was bumped in 2023????

Anyway, whatever. This thread was about Lee. Curious how big the kid really is, because his height is listed all over the place.

Sure - after he had a monster senior season they made him a high 3 star. All the facts are listed in the article I attached with direct quotes from coaches.

Which recruiting sites were used in his “composite” ranking? Surely you can list them since that is your main point.

I'm not here to conduct an in-depth analysis of exactly which sites roll into that Composite ranking. I'm just showing you there are 4 stars there. I actually thought he was a 3 (knew he was in the 300's nationally), so this is proving me wrong as well. And he was a 5.7 on Rivals, which is as high as a 3 star can get without being a 4. So he's not exactly some dude in a Disney movie who went from loading garbage can contents into a truck to kicking field goals for the Eagles.

Click on the recruit rank history (clock next to 370 national ranking). He was .8893 in 2013, which was a 3 star. Says he was bumped in 2023????

Anyway, whatever. This thread was about Lee. Curious how big the kid really is, because his height is listed all over the place.
Great point on the late bump of Donald well after he graduated.

Back to the topic of Shawn Lee. I think 5-11 to 6-0 is closer to reality based on people that have seen him. Kid is a player.

Nice pickup! I will take a few multiple positions athletes in every class. Lee has talent and speed! H2P!

Looking at his film he looks best as DB that can also return kicks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Donald was an under the radar recruit who became a first ballot NFL HOFer. We've had a few other major success stories with underappreciated recruits. But so has every other P5 school that fields a football team. So what?

Football success has nothing to do with finding an occasional diamond in the rough that turns into a star. It's about putting enough good players on the field every Saturday to win a lot of football games. With the exception of a couple of years that were clearly outliers, Pitt has not done that.

Pitt's track record over the past 40 years with numerous elite individual players randomly sprinkled throughout that time is all the evidence anyone should need that the recruiting has not been good enough.

Instead, every time we sign another guy with a MAC offer sheet, which is the majority of our class so far this cycle, the usual board idealogues get into this circle jerk about how Aaron Donald was a 2 star, these coaches know how to identify the diamonds, etc etc.

Reactions: bobfree

He looks inder 6' to me.
Lee has talent and speed!
Talent and skill - yes. I think if he timed better, he wouldn't be coming to PITT. He wanted a PSU offer and it never came. I was told it was due to a lack of speed.

Donald was an under the radar recruit who became a first ballot NFL HOFer. We've had a few other major success stories with underappreciated recruits. But so has every other P5 school that fields a football team. So what?

Football success has nothing to do with finding an occasional diamond in the rough that turns into a star. It's about putting enough good players on the field every Saturday to win a lot of football games. With the exception of a couple of years that were clearly outliers, Pitt has not done that.

Pitt's track record over the past 40 years with numerous elite individual players randomly sprinkled throughout that time is all the evidence anyone should need that the recruiting has not been good enough.

Instead, every time we sign another guy with a MAC offer sheet, which is the majority of our class so far this cycle, the usual board idealogues get into this circle jerk about how Aaron Donald was a 2 star, these coaches know how to identify the diamonds, etc etc.
1) I started a thread on Shawn Lee before it got hijacked.

2) Another poster brought up Donald and I responded with facts.

3) I am not arguing that landing a bunch of highly rated recruits gives you a better chance of winning, but Pitt will not be able to realistically do that no matter who the head coach is. Pitt needs to find good players who are undervalued because they are slightly undersized or a slight tick too slow. That’s the reality.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
He looks inder 6' to me.

Talent and skill - yes. I think if he timed better, he wouldn't be coming to PITT. He wanted a PSU offer and it never came. I was told it was due to a lack of speed.
By a Pedo st fan? All kids in Pennsyltucky want to go to Pedo st. That is all they know!

Great point on the late bump of Donald well after he graduated.

Back to the topic of Shawn Lee. I think 5-11 to 6-0 is closer to reality based on people that have seen him. Kid is a player.

I've seen 5'10" up to 6'1" listed on various sites. I would agree, probably right in the middle somewhere. Nice athlete in a similar mold to MJ. He could also help in the return game.

Shawn Lee Sr. Played at PSU in the 90s. Not to be confused with Sean Lee from Upper St Clair.
I seriously do not remember him. I was in HS at that time, so I figured I would remember. Are they related to Fred Lee who was a star at Bishop Mcdevitt in the late 90's early 2000s? I think he went to VT but didn't do too much there.

I'm sure that the possibility of him exceling at Pitt, thus presenting him the opportunity to portal to his uninterested dream school, warms your heart.
The reality of college football today. It is one of many reasons why I am not as big of a fan as I used to be.

Has any player left Pitt to go to Ped St, ever? Why do you piss on every thread man?
Depends how you view it.

Have established players on Pitt roster left for PSU? No!

Have Pitt commits get a late PSU offer and left for the Nitters? Yes and more than once.

With NIL will the treat of an established player be higher that they end up at a PSU? Yes, they have more money.

Depends how you view it.

Have established players on Pitt roster left for PSU? No!

Have Pitt commits get a late PSU offer and left for the Nitters? Yes and more than once.

With NIL will the treat of an established player be higher that they end up at a PSU? Yes, they have more money.
Why don't you guys that bitch and moan all the time take some time off! I do not have the time or energy to check some of the so called fans on here posts during our ACC Champ season but I think I know a loser when I see one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT