ADVERTISEMENT

Shevchenko's son

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Supposed to be a future star. He has American citizenship through his mom, Ukrainian citizenship through his dad, and was born in England. Does the UK not have birthright citizenship because this article says he qualifiers for England as a passport holder.

I guess the hope is that Ukraine dont qualify for 2026. He wont make England at 19. Maybe then he would consider playing for the USMNT.

Supposedly, there are "foreign" kids who qualify for the US at Liverpool and Bayern also.

Supposed to be a future star. He has American citizenship through his mom, Ukrainian citizenship through his dad, and was born in England. Does the UK not have birthright citizenship because this article says he qualifiers for England as a passport holder.

I guess the hope is that Ukraine dont qualify for 2026. He wont make England at 19. Maybe then he would consider playing for the USMNT.

Supposedly, there are "foreign" kids who qualify for the US at Liverpool and Bayern also.
England seems to really be doing great things through their youth academies. They’ve really improved their pool of talent.

But come on, do we really think a 19 year old striker will make an impact in 2026? We have to hope one of our current guys develops into a stud over the next 2 years. Otherwise I think we need to invest in a coach who can develop a system of play around what we have, instead of Gregg playing his system and plugging guys into it. If we don’t have an international class (we won’t have a world class) #9, then maybe we start playing a false 9 with the guys we have.

There are reports that US Soccer is negotiating with Gregg right now. I only hope it’s not through 2026.

England seems to really be doing great things through their youth academies. They’ve really improved their pool of talent.

But come on, do we really think a 19 year old striker will make an impact in 2026? We have to hope one of our current guys develops into a stud over the next 2 years. Otherwise I think we need to invest in a coach who can develop a system of play around what we have, instead of Gregg playing his system and plugging guys into it. If we don’t have an international class (we won’t have a world class) #9, then maybe we start playing a false 9 with the guys we have.

There are reports that US Soccer is negotiating with Gregg right now. I only hope it’s not through 2026.

Pepi isnt 19 and some were hanging their hopes on him. What if he's better than Pepi was at that age?

Last edited:
Pepi isnt 18 and some were hanging their hopes on him. What if he's better than Pepi was at that age?
That’s not a good standard to hold him to. Plus you’re talking about where a 15 year old will be at 19. he’s not going to be a giant like Haaland is he? and he’s certainly not going to be a seasoned #9.

ESPN put together a list of young players who have a chance to make the team in four years. The five strikers they mentioned were:

1) Malik Sonogo (currently 17) - Scored 38 goals in 48 games for Union Berlin's U17s and has played for the US at the U20 level. Is also eligible for Germany and the Ivory Coast.

2) Cade Cowell (19) - Plays for San Jose but so far mostly on the wing rather than as a nine.

3) Ezekiel Soto (15) - Houston prospect, but 15, so yeah.

4) Folarin Balogun (20) - He's the guy who belongs to Arsenal, although he's currently on loan in France. 8 goals in 15 games. Also eligible for England and Nigeria, and he's played on age group teams for both England and the US.

5) Brandon Vazquez (24) - Obviously the current guy doesn't rate him, maybe the next guy will.

ESPN put together a list of young players who have a chance to make the team in four years. The five strikers they mentioned were:

1) Malik Sonogo (currently 17) - Scored 38 goals in 48 games for Union Berlin's U17s and has played for the US at the U20 level. Is also eligible for Germany and the Ivory Coast.

2) Cade Cowell (19) - Plays for San Jose but so far mostly on the wing rather than as a nine.

4) Folarin Balogun (20) - He's the guy who belongs to Arsenal, although he's currently on loan in France. 8 goals in 15 games. Also eligible for England and Nigeria, and he's played on age group teams for both England and the US.

5) Brandon Vazquez (24) - Obviously the current guy doesn't rate him, maybe the next guy will.

It is incredible to see how poorly some of these Euro USMNT players see their careers go. Like if you are this highly thought of at that age, you'd think that as a bare minimum, you'd be an MLS level player. I give you Gedion Zelalem and Julian Green. Zelalem is basically a USL level player, having only played 58 games in his career. Green has been an average 2nd division player in Germany

It is incredible to see how poorly some of these Euro USMNT players see their careers go. Like if you are this highly thought of at that age, you'd think that as a bare minimum, you'd be an MLS level player. I give you Gedion Zelalem and Julian Green. Zelalem is basically a USL level player, having only played 58 games in his career. Green has been an average 2nd division player in Germany

Wait, are you saying that you think that the second division in Germany is USL level? You don't think that a guy who plays in the German second division could play in MLS?

Wait, are you saying that you think that the second division in Germany is USL level? You don't think that a guy who plays in the German second division could play in MLS?

Its better than USL but no, I do not think Julian Green would get regular playing time in MLS. He's not better than the South American C teamers. I do think he'd make a roster and play a little.

Those who follow things more closely think Balogun is a slam dunk to declare for the USA. That said, what if Derp isn’t coach? That would change things. But I think Derp is going to extend his contract.

Still think that in 4 years someone like Sargent or Pepi or Duke or Haji will be better than any current teenager coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT