ADVERTISEMENT

Similarity between Narduzzi and Dixon

Apr 26, 2012
I'm a fan of both, but I have a similar frustration with both. They both lock in on ONE thing as the key to winning.

With Dixon, it was always defense. In the latter years, his team would be held to under 50 points, and loose by a few points, and right after the game, all he wanted to talk about was how his team needed to play better defense. Nothing about finding a way to score more.

With Narduzzi, its stopping the run. Sure, you need to that, and yes, OK St. has a great RB, but this is a team that can routinely pass for 500+ yards and score umpteen TDs on huge plays -- as they did today. This week, when asked about trying to stop Washington and their passing attack, he said we need to stop the run. Very Dixon-like.
So today, Pitt regularly had 7 or more in the box, leaving the DBs on their islands, and it was disastrous. Even if we had shut down the run, so what? Their bigger threat is the deep passing game.

And over the past two years, Pitt has routinely failed to stop 3rd and 20+ or even 4th and 20+. The DBs get blamed, but I think its more the fault of the formation, which is of course, the insistence of staying in the base defense, instead of flooding the field with DBs and taking away the big pass.

Reactions: singregardless
Narduzzi is Gene Chizik

Pitt is Iowa State

Narduzzi will move on to a program that actually gives a damn and recruit lights out and win 10 games a year

Reactions: bubba31
There's no similarity between Dixon and Narduzzi. Dixon knew how to win and did. Narduzzi has yet to show he can win consistently. And he's trending downward very quickly. At least Dixon had 10+ years of great winning before he got a little stale. And even in his worst years, Dixon won more than he lost. This Pitt football team may be sub-0.500 this year.

Your thoughts are similar to mine. Only difference is that I don't think it's not working because it's not a good idea. They're just a bad fit for where we're at. Dixon's defense worked great until we moved from the Big East (and '85 is right, he was a proven winner), and stopping the run would've been great if we were in the Big Ten.

Narduzzi is Gene Chizik

Pitt is Iowa State

Narduzzi will move on to a program that actually gives a damn and recruit lights out and win 10 games a year
Indeed. I can understand the cracks at Chryst for being a poor recruiter in that his personality was not dynamic and it was clear he wasn't really trying hard here due to the Wisconsin deal. But i think this guy does bust his tail. Pitt just refuses or can't back him with the juice that everyone else hands their recruits. He actually likely does better than he should. As Did Dixon. With recruiting the coach is only one cog.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
There's no similarity between Dixon and Narduzzi. Dixon knew how to win and did. Narduzzi has yet to show he can win consistently. And he's trending downward very quickly. At least Dixon had 10+ years of great winning before he got a little stale. And even in his worst years, Dixon won more than he lost. This Pitt football team may be sub-0.500 this year.

Their recruiting at the end is very similar

Indeed. I can understand the cracks at Chryst for being a poor recruiter in that his personality was not dynamic and it was clear he wasn't really trying hard here due to the Wisconsin deal. But i think this guy does bust his tail. Pitt just refuses or can't back him with the juice that everyone else hands their recruits. He actually likely does better than he should. As Did Dixon. With recruiting the coach is only one cog.

I know 3 kids families we are recruiting right now , and Harry bust his asssss more than Duzz with these families.

I'm a fan of both, but I have a similar frustration with both. They both lock in on ONE thing as the key to winning.

With Dixon, it was always defense. In the latter years, his team would be held to under 50 points, and loose by a few points, and right after the game, all he wanted to talk about was how his team needed to play better defense. Nothing about finding a way to score more.

With Narduzzi, its stopping the run. Sure, you need to that, and yes, OK St. has a great RB, but this is a team that can routinely pass for 500+ yards and score umpteen TDs on huge plays -- as they did today. This week, when asked about trying to stop Washington and their passing attack, he said we need to stop the run. Very Dixon-like.
So today, Pitt regularly had 7 or more in the box, leaving the DBs on their islands, and it was disastrous. Even if we had shut down the run, so what? Their bigger threat is the deep passing game.

And over the past two years, Pitt has routinely failed to stop 3rd and 20+ or even 4th and 20+. The DBs get blamed, but I think its more the fault of the formation, which is of course, the insistence of staying in the base defense, instead of flooding the field with DBs and taking away the big pass.
I agree - Both were we do what we do guys - very little adjustment for in-game, down and distance (FB) time usage (BB). Very little adjustment for individual opponents. Both appear to be the same type of recruiter.

So Pitt is holding Duzz back from recruiting top 40 classes ? Priceless

this actually is a pretty reasonable post. Chizik did nothing at ISU and wins it all at Auburn.

Would you blame Chizik in the same capacity? Of course not.

I know your a smart and loyal panther fan. If you would STFU once in a while and be reasonable more posters would be interested....

You have to play the recruiting game to land the good players. Otherwise, you end up with the leftovers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT