ADVERTISEMENT

Single game tickets

levance2

All American
Aug 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pitt emailed me a week or so ago about single game ticket availability. Even though we've heard rumors of ticket sales being staggeringly slow, Pitt is still charging $25 for a single game seat at thrillers like Montana or Towson.

WVU single games seats are $90 in the upper level! I've traveled to WVU when both teams were good and I didn't pay nearly that much. That's crazy.

A weekday conference game like BC was $45.

I get that some of this price sensitivity is because they can't totally undercut the pricing structure they already assigned to season ticket holders, but this is ridiculous. Why would anyone pay $45 for a game like BC when the market price for that will probably be like $10, and that's not even considering how little interest there could be in the team by February.

The attendance situation could get really, really bad this year.

Pitt emailed me a week or so ago about single game ticket availability. Even though we've heard rumors of ticket sales being staggeringly slow, Pitt is still charging $25 for a single game seat at thrillers like Montana or Towson.

WVU single games seats are $90 in the upper level! I've traveled to WVU when both teams were good and I didn't pay nearly that much. That's crazy.

I get that some of this price sensitivity is because they can't totally undercut the pricing structure they already assigned to season ticket holders, but this is ridiculous. Why would anyone pay $45 for a game like BC when the market price for that will probably be like $10, and that's not even considering how little interest there could be in the team by February.

I went to a few games in Morgantown and tickets were about $25.

Pitt upper deck season tickets are probably the most expensive in college basketball not even counting the mandatory donation.

I figured single game ticket prices would be very high because they have to "protect" the season ticket holders who spent a fortune for a bottom-tier P5 team.

We all know season ticket pricing strategy, which was designed when we were a Top 5/10 team and had a new building needs a major overhaul. I realize they don't want to drop the price of season tickets because they WERE able to sell them all 7-8 years ago and even most of them up till 4-5 years ago but the glory days are over and even if Stallings can replicate that some, the days of selling 11K season tickets at high prices with donations is long gone.

I figured single game ticket prices would be very high because they have to "protect" the season ticket holders who spent a fortune for a bottom-tier P5 team.

Regardless of the pricing of the season tickets, there are large swaths of seats in the lower bowl available to single games, and those seats are priced exactly the same as behind the basket in the top level. That's criminal.

I also have a hard time understanding their strategy. The single game and even the mini packages make no sense to me. Who's going to lock themselves into a mini package at basically full price when individual game tickets are readily available. Where's the value in that? I'm sure they don't want to undercut loyal season ticket holders but at some point actually having fans in the seats needs to be the priority.

Whatever else they do they need to keep the students coming. If they lose the Zoo then attendance could go from bad to full on disaster.

Pitts prices for upper level and in general are too high even for a P-5 team. They aren't NCAA Tournament material either currently.

Going to an RMU baseketball game really is a good deal. $10-$15 for any seat in the arena besides the seats literally right on the floor is very affordable.

Not that Pitt should be this low, but it does need to come down some...

Scares will be selling them for $5 10 minutes prior...have faith

We are frequently slammed about $3 football tickets on Stubhub (assuming it's true but I've never actually gone there to see it). If so isn't it pretty assured there will be plenty of basketball tickets on there for similar price?

We are frequently slammed about $3 football tickets on Stubhub (assuming it's true but I've never actually gone there to see it). If so isn't it pretty assured there will be plenty of basketball tickets on there for similar price?

I think the answer is "yes" but a secondary market assumes there was a primary market, and if the rumors are true, there are only a few thousand tickets sold to begin with. The reason football tickets are so cheap is that many, many people buy football season tickets and never intend to attend all, or any, games.

They should try something new like the Non-Con pack.....$100 for all the games in the non-con except WVU. $150 with WVU included.

Honestly they should want butts in seats as much as money.

They should try something new like the Non-Con pack.....$100 for all the games in the non-con except WVU. $150 with WVU included.

No butts in seats hurts even more down the road with recruiting too.

They can’t get season ticket holders to those games and you think there’s people out there that would pay $100 for them . When I had season tickets I couldn’t give them away !

I would pay $100 for that.
Why would you pay for 10 games no one really wants to see ? (especially if you take the WVU out of the
package . ) If you wanted to you could buy tickets , even when they were good , for just about any of the OOC games for 5/10 bucks outside .

Why would you pay for 10 games no one really wants to see ? (especially if you take the WVU out of the
package . ) If you wanted to you could buy tickets , even when they were good , for just about any of the OOC games for 5/10 bucks outside .
Why does PITT allow the outside selling? It annoying for football too!

Because I am a Pitt fan and want to see all of the games. How is this hard to understand?
So let me get this straight , you’d be willing pay $100 to go watch ten unattractive opponents play what could be the worst team in recent Pitt bb history and sit in the upper deck than pay $50/60 to go see all those same games with a chance of actually sitting in far better seats ? I wouldn’t doubt that you’d find people just giving those tickets away for free .
I’m pretty sure that same $100 could buy you a lot of conference games this yr and a couple OOC games to boot . Bottom line once what was the best sports value in town has become a ticket no one wants . What a shame !

Why does PITT allow the outside selling? It annoying for football too!
If Pitt could shut down scalping they’d be the first to do so and Pitt needs anyone willing to watch their game in the stands . Some of those selling tickets outside are STH who can’t find anyone to take the ticket for free .

So let me get this straight , you’d be willing pay $100 to go watch ten unattractive opponents play what could be the worst team in recent Pitt bb history and sit in the upper deck than pay $50/60 to go see all those same games with a chance of actually sitting in far better seats ? I wouldn’t doubt that you’d find people just giving those tickets away for free .
I’m pretty sure that same $100 could buy you a lot of conference games this yr and a couple OOC games to boot . Bottom line once what was the best sports value in town has become a ticket no one wants . What a shame !

I could attend every Pitt football game this year for far less than my season ticket costs too. What's your point?

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I could attend every Pitt football game this year for far less than my season ticket costs too. What's your point?
My point is that while your a die heart Pitt fan and not concerned with the cost of attending games not enough others fall into that category . No one in right minds except long term STH would overpay to see unattractive opponents ( lousy teams ) play this Pitt team ( also projected to be lousy ) while sitting in the rafters at the Pete ( worse than lousy seats ) . THATS THE POINT .

My point is that while your a die heart Pitt fan and not concerned with the cost of attending games not enough others fall into that category . No one in right minds except long term STH would overpay to see unattractive opponents ( lousy teams ) play this Pitt team ( also projected to be lousy ) while sitting in the rafters at the Pete ( worse than lousy seats ) . THATS THE POINT .

You are arguing that a fictional price of $100 for ~9 games is ridiculous, while Pitt is actually asking at least $25 per game. If I were not concerned with the cost of attending games, I would've kept my season tickets, which I did not. $100 for an OOC package would be substantially more attractive than what Pitt is currently offering.

The point of this thread was to discuss how Pitt actually ought to price tickets to keep any fans they possibly can.

You are arguing that a fictional price of $100 for ~9 games is ridiculous, while Pitt is actually asking at least $25 per game. If I were not concerned with the cost of attending games, I would've kept my season tickets, which I did not. $100 for an OOC package would be substantially more attractive than what Pitt is currently offering.

The point of this thread was to discuss how Pitt actually ought to price tickets to keep any fans they possibly can.

I would buy an OOC package (minus WVU) for $50. I wonder how many single game tickets they will sell at $25?

I think you are getting my point here. One benefit to actually having tickets to all the games is it makes you more likely to go. It's a sunk cost already.

On a random Tuesday in December, I'm probably going to get lazy and not pay 20 bucks or drive into Oakland. If I already have the tickets, I'm much more likely to go.

This stuff isn't rocket science either. I legitimately would love an explanation on what they are doing with basketball tickets this year.

I was SHOCKED when I saw prices for mini packages.

I feel bad that there will be season ticket holders who get screwed, but let's face it......any season ticket holder left is a die hard. They aren't going to be that upset about more people attending for less money.

I have friends who sit with me at every football game with tickets that aren't for my section. I pay 300 for my season tickets because I know it helps Pitt.

I think you are getting my point here. One benefit to actually having tickets to all the games is it makes you more likely to go. It's a sunk cost already.

On a random Tuesday in December, I'm probably going to get lazy and not pay 20 bucks or drive into Oakland. If I already have the tickets, I'm much more likely to go.

This stuff isn't rocket science either. I legitimately would love an explanation on what they are doing with basketball tickets this year.

I was SHOCKED when I saw prices for mini packages.

I feel bad that there will be season ticket holders who get screwed, but let's face it......any season ticket holder left is a die hard. They aren't going to be that upset about more people attending for less money.

I have friends who sit with me at every football game with tickets that aren't for my section. I pay 300 for my season tickets because I know it helps Pitt.

Nobody is going to buy single game tickets no matter how cheap they are so they just listed them high to not upset season ticket holders.

If an ACC game was $10, how many people would buy it? A couple dozen, maybe?

If an OOC game was $1, how many people would buy it?

Lets put it this way, if Pitt did not even collect tickets this season and anyone could get in, I'd expect attendance to be around 3000 for OOC and 8000 for ACC. There is no demand at all.

Well the point is that even at $100 those tickets will not sell due to lack of demand . Until Pitt bb has an upswing selling tickets will be beyond a challenge . Maybe $125/150 for the entire season might attract some interest . Remember I said might .
Ps .. Pitt bb has no buzz , has a coach whose universally disliked , has a roster that no one even the most optimistic amount us feels that can compete in the ACC , has no marquee players and has no program changers coming in . Where’s new interest coming from ?

Nobody is going to buy single game tickets no matter how cheap they are so they just listed them high to not upset season ticket holders.

I do not accept this assertion.

Then why are they so high? Surely they are not dumb enough to think anyone will buy them. I think they realized that no one will buy them regardless of the price, so they put a way above market price on them just so there wouldn't be backlash from season ticket holders.

Then why are they so high? Surely they are not dumb enough to think anyone will buy them. I think they realized that no one will buy them regardless of the price, so they put a way above market price on them just so there wouldn't be backlash from season ticket holders.

Barely anyone would buy them if they were only $1, so what potential backlash is being avoided? People are still going to buy them on StubHub for $6, so how is that any better from a STH's point of view? Anyone who is paying full price on a STH package at this point is doing it because they are interested in supporting the program, not because it makes fiscal sense.

If I were a STH I would rather be in an arena with 5,000 or 8,000 or 10,000 fans watching the game than sitting there with 3,000 elderly white guys patting ourselves on the back for flushing our money down the toilet.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Barely anyone would buy them if they were only $1, so what potential backlash is being avoided? People are still going to buy them on StubHub for $6, so how is that any better from a STH's point of view? Anyone who is paying full price on a STH package at this point is doing it because they are interested in supporting the program, not because it makes fiscal sense.

If I were a STH I would rather be in an arena with 5,000 or 8,000 or 10,000 fans watching the game than sitting there with 3,000 elderly white guys patting ourselves on the back for flushing our money down the toilet.
I think you and your” eldery white friends “ are going to be lonely most nights for several seasons ! Think of the bright side parking will be much easier .

I think you and your” eldery white friends “ are going to be lonely most nights for several seasons ! Think of the bright side parking will be much easier .

Levance2 has stated he doesn't have season tickets. Neither do I.

I bought volleyball tickets this year. You bought 12 for any game for 30 dollars total.

Maybe do something like that. 12 dollars for GA tickets to any Non Con game for 100 dollars.

I don't know why out of the box thinking is hurting all of your brains. I don't think I sell thousands of these plans, but I bet we could get thousands of dollars into the athletic department. It's basically pricing group tickets at a reasonable rate......not what the ticket office is currently charging.

Levance2 has stated he doesn't have season tickets. Neither do I.

I bought volleyball tickets this year. You bought 12 for any game for 30 dollars total.

Maybe do something like that. 12 dollars for GA tickets to any Non Con game for 100 dollars.

I don't know why out of the box thinking is hurting all of your brains. I don't think I sell thousands of these plans, but I bet we could get thousands of dollars into the athletic department. It's basically pricing group tickets at a reasonable rate......not what the ticket office is currently charging.
The problem is that Pitt doesn’t think out of the box . Anyone with eyes could see the empty seats in the Pete piling up for several yrs before the KS era began and Pitt did nothing . Now with a program that is a shadow of its former self not recognizing the absurdity of their pricing structure there’s little hope those in charge can fix this mess their in .
A true “ splash hire “ could’ve have changed the landscape of Pitt bb , but .....

So if it was me, I'd price tickets low but attach a mandatory donation.

The problem is that Pitt doesn’t think out of the box . Anyone with eyes could see the empty seats in the Pete piling up for several yrs before the KS era began and Pitt did nothing . Now with a program that is a shadow of its former self not recognizing the absurdity of their pricing structure there’s little hope those in charge can fix this mess their in .
A true “ splash hire “ could’ve have changed the landscape of Pitt bb , but .....

Right now, yeah, the program stinks, and fans aren’t going to show up.

Two years ago though? Pitt was still a tournament team. They were still a team that hovered near the top 25. I have seen you say over and over that “fans were leaving and pitt did nothing” but if anything outside of a top 15 team is considered horrible, it isn’t pitt’s fault the fans don’t come out.

People complained for years about non conference schedules, yet when a top 10 Purdue team came to town, the Pete was not sold out. Pitt played one of the best home schedules you can have two years ago, with Purdue, Louisville, Syracuse, duke, and Virginia all playing here. Pitt played number 11 Louisville in February, was 19-8 and 8-6 in conference entering the game, and only drew 10425.

You can say that Jamie’s program has stagnated all you want, but to only fill up 83% capacity against essentially a top 10 team is unacceptable, especially when your own team is one win away from being in the top 25.

Two years ago though? Pitt was still a tournament team. They were still a team that hovered near the top 25. I have seen you say over and over that “fans were leaving and pitt did nothing” but if anything outside of a top 15 team is considered horrible, it isn’t pitt’s fault the fans don’t come out.

People complained for years about non conference schedules, yet when a top 10 Purdue team came to town, the Pete was not sold out. Pitt played one of the best home schedules you can have two years ago, with Purdue, Louisville, Syracuse, duke, and Virginia all playing here. Pitt played number 11 Louisville in February, was 19-8 and 8-6 in conference entering the game, and only drew 10425.

You can say that Jamie’s program has stagnated all you want, but to only fill up 83% capacity against essentially a top 10 team is unacceptable, especially when your own team is one win away from being in the top 25.

The games you site were both midweek 9PM tips. That's a tough sell anywhere.

I agree and for Pitt to fill the Pete up they need to be team that can win or at least seriously compete for ACC titles not an 8-6 team . They also need a couple of players folks want to see . Jamie’s last few seasons it was becoming obvious that Pitt was trending in the wrong direction and attendence suffered. Can Pitt ever fill up the Pete again except for an occasional Duke or UNC game , I doubt it unless they seriously commit the necessary resources to be a contender . I don’t see this in their future , do you ?

I agree and for Pitt to fill the Pete up they need to be team that can win or at least seriously compete for ACC titles not an 8-6 team . They also need a couple of players folks want to see . Jamie’s last few seasons it was becoming obvious that Pitt was trending in the wrong direction and attendence suffered. Can Pitt ever fill up the Pete again except for an occasional Duke or UNC game , I doubt it unless they seriously commit the necessary resources to be a contender . I don’t see this in their future , do you ?

There is always an excuse from pitt fans. Sure, they have done a lot that sucks, but to not sell out against top 10 team when you have a pretty good team yourself is on the fans.

Same in football. This year I expect wretched attendance, but I go back to the Thursday night game narduzzi’s first great against UNC where pitt was 6-1, and playing got a real shot at the coastal. Attendance was pathetic, maybe 40k actually there?

Yeah, at some points low attendance is justified, but for situations like that Louisville b-ball game and UNC football game, there was no excuse.

We didn’t even sell out pitt vs cincy in 09, and there were a good amount of cincy fans in the 63k in attendance. I also don’t think it is pitt fans, just Pittsburgh fans in general who think anything less than a Stanley cup, super bowl, World Series, etc is an unacceptable year. If the steelers would have lost to the chiefs last week steeler tickets would have become extremely easy to get.

ADVERTISEMENT