ADVERTISEMENT

SirVocea at Senior Bowl 1-on-1s

Not to take anything away from Dennis, but he was beat on the play and jumped a severely under-thrown ball. I'm sure someone could come up with a way better highlight than that for him.

That clip says more about the guy throwing the ball than anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Not to take anything away from Dennis, but he was beat on the play and jumped a severely under-thrown ball. I'm sure someone could come up with a way better highlight than that for him.

That clip says more about the guy throwing the ball than anything else.
I think that was pretty good coverage - even if it's a good throw it's a minimal gain.

Reactions: DavidVC
If the RB wheels that, he's toast. I'm not sure what that drill is supposed to accomplish but my only takeaway is that he showed good speed.
I love that Spears kid from Tulane. Tough runner for his size and he can move. Steelers have bigger needs but he would be a nice addition to their rotation.

Watched some of the Senior Bowl coverage and I’m convinced Wisconsin’s Keeanu Benton will be a Steeler. Dude is a beast on the DL and Tomlin has been hawking him. If they can get him at 49 or 80 he would an awesome addition. Former wrestler too!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think that was pretty good coverage - even if it's a good throw it's a minimal gain.
It's not though because as the LB covering a receiver out of the backfield you have to get into his back and stay there as soon as he makes his cut. In this clip the back had separation and was increasing it when the ball was underthrown. A good throw and that play pops for a decent gain. No biggy, routine scenario and doesn't say anything negative about SVD, it's just that people looking at this clip as demonstrating exemplary coverage by SVD on this one isolated practice rep don't actually know what they're looking at.

It's not though because as the LB covering a receiver out of the backfield you have to get into his back and stay there as soon as he makes his cut. In this clip the back had separation and was increasing it when the ball was underthrown. A good throw and that play pops for a decent gain. No biggy, routine scenario and doesn't say anything negative about SVD, it's just that people looking at this clip as demonstrating exemplary coverage by SVD on this one isolated practice rep don't actually know what they're looking at.
It is "pretty good" coverage. It would have taken a very good (probably above average) throw to beat him.

But I also disagree with the tweet calling it "picture perfect" coverage, which would be coverage as what you describe.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Watched some of the Senior Bowl coverage and I’m convinced Wisconsin’s Keeanu Benton will be a Steeler. Dude is a beast on the DL and Tomlin has been hawking him. If they can get him at 49 or 80 he would an awesome addition. Former wrestler too!
Would love Keanu Benton @ pick 80, doubt he has the quicks to make the 2nd RD though. Kinda high on his teammate C Joe Tippmann @ pick 120 as well.

For those that think it wasn't good coverage and thinking the RB is getting separation...

It is the camera angle on top of what he's taught to do.

LBs are taught to undercut underneath outward routes. He's never taught to stay even on the hip. And blanket him as the ball is in the air.

what’s awesome is that the response to that could either be a sexual joke, a music joke, or a football joke.

He might be able to trim some of Bush's miscues up, especially in the bald eagle formation. I'm not saying everything would be completely zen, but it's the little things that Bush does that kill, so I think someone who is more of a machinehead could improve the front seven. As far as the football jokes go, well, just turn on the tape and watch the #10 pick in action. They write themselves.

For those that think it wasn't good coverage and thinking the RB is getting separation...

It is the camera angle on top of what he's taught to do.

LBs are taught to undercut underneath outward routes. He's never taught to stay even on the hip. And blanket him as the ball is in the air.
Well Coach Knowsitall, I played SVD’s position at the D1 level, and that’s horse$hit. You’re taught to take away the route and prevent a completion, not lay back and hope for an all or nothing shot at jumping a bad throw.

But thanks for telling the rest of us that our eyes don’t work. The back was running away from SVD when the ball left the QB’s hand. SVD got lucky because it was badly underthrown. It’s not a bad angle or an optical illusion. And he’s going up against a very talented back, a guy who’s gonna make a lot of money.

Any excuses for SVD failing to read and attack that screen play and getting blocked out of the frame in the other clip?

What about this one? Coverage was pretty good-until it wasn’t.

The guy’s an excellent football player, but he isn’t infallible or perfect on every rep, and neither is anyone else. He doesn’t need you to make excuses for him.

He might be able to trim some of Bush's miscues up, especially in the bald eagle formation. I'm not saying everything would be completely zen, but it's the little things that Bush does that kill, so I think someone who is more of a machinehead could improve the front seven. As far as the football jokes go, well, just turn on the tape and watch the #10 pick in action. They write themselves.
It's taken all this time to find out what they have. Maybe some glycerine would help him comedown from all the miscues.

Well Coach Knowsitall, I played SVD’s position at the D1 level, and that’s horse$hit. You’re taught to take away the route and prevent a completion, not lay back and hope for an all or nothing shot at jumping a bad throw.

But thanks for telling the rest of us that our eyes don’t work. The back was running away from SVD when the ball left the QB’s hand. SVD got lucky because it was badly underthrown. It’s not a bad angle or an optical illusion. And he’s going up against a very talented back, a guy who’s gonna make a lot of money.

Any excuses for SVD failing to read and attack that screen play and getting blocked out of the frame in the other clip?

The guy’s an excellent football player, but he isn’t infallible or perfect on every rep, and neither is anyone else. He doesn’t need you to make excuses for him.
I’d love to see the Steelers draft him, but some scout on local radio said that the practices have been a disaster. Hoping he has a better game.

I’d love to see the Steelers draft him, but some scout on local radio said that the practices have been a disaster. Hoping he has a better game.

He and Wayne both strike me as dudes who are great in college but very well may not translate to the next level. Which is why I thought both should have came back for an NIL nestegg. Although I've seen Dennis' house on the Pitt Mom's segment, and they don't appear to be hurting for cash, ha. I'll be rooting for both of them, and I hope I'm wrong. I just know that even a modest NIL deal for guys at that level can probably buy you a house in cash. Maybe not the worst way to start out in the real world.

He and Wayne both strike me as dudes who are great in college but very well may not translate to the next level. Which is why I thought both should have came back for an NIL nestegg. Although I've seen Dennis' house on the Pitt Mom's segment, and they don't appear to be hurting for cash, ha. I'll be rooting for both of them, and I hope I'm wrong. I just know that even a modest NIL deal for guys at that level can probably buy you a house in cash. Maybe not the worst way to start out in the real world.
What do I know, but I thought Dennis could play at the next level…but with Wayne I just never saw it. Even in college, I’d never use the word great to describe him.

I don't think that's a bad rep by Dennis. It's a slick move by the RB that certainly shows he has great change of direction. But in a real football game the QB has already been sacked by the time the back comes open there.

Reactions: singregardless
What do I know, but I thought Dennis could play at the next level…but with Wayne I just never saw it. Even in college, I’d never use the word great to describe him.

Yeah, NFL receivers are pretty explosive and the Steelers seem to cut like 2-4 every year who tear it up in the preseason. Seems like a pretty tough position to "catch on" at. Then again, there will be some new white dude each season from like a D7 school who comes in and tears it up.

And maybe I'm wrong and betting on themselves for peace of mind is worth it. We know the NFL values youth, so I guess you wouldn't want to question if you'd have made it if you came out a year earlier for the rest of your life.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

He is covering one of the most athletic backs in this class there, so tough assignment, but that’s what he’ll have to do. That said, I saw a clip of this rep from the snap and in all likelihood the QB has it out or is sacked by the time Spears hits that triple move on this route.

Okay - you played MLB at the D1 level - nice. Me too. I also made a few dollars doing it as well covering that same route every day at practice.

You're taught leverage the receiver which Dennis by seeing how's shading inside of his vertical stem. When the receiver breaks out, Dennis is low hipping the RB because that's what he's taught to do. If he stays flat with him and it's a perfectly thrown the ball with some air under it, it's probably a completion. Our OLB's are taught this technique as well on all out routes vs #2.

But thanks for telling the rest of us that our eyes don’t work. The back was running away from SVD when the ball left the QB’s hand.
when/where can you see the QB in the frame, when the ball leaves his hand? And, lets say it's a perfectly thrown ball with some air under it, Dennis has the freaking sideline and it's a 5 yard gain. Whoop de doo...

I don't think that's a bad rep by Dennis. It's a slick move by the RB that certainly shows he has great change of direction. But in a real football game the QB has already been sacked by the time the back comes open there.
exactly. That route probably was not a designed "jerk" route. You hardly see that route by a RB in the game because it takes time.
He is covering one of the most athletic backs in this class there, so tough assignment, but that’s what he’ll have to do. That said, I saw a clip of this rep from the snap and in all likelihood the QB has it out or is sacked by the time Spears hits that triple move on this route.
The way that route takes place is probably if he's either lined up in the slot or he's on a check down and it's a scramble drill and he's making something happen.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I was gonna say, the only NFL MLBs that are stopping that route are ones that are making a lucky guess.

He can and will play in the NFL. Senior bowl practices and game performance will be a small part of the big picture evaluation. What he did at Pitt and how he performs at the combine will mean more. What he lacks as an NFL LB is size, but he’s a football player through and through.

ADVERTISEMENT