ADVERTISEMENT

Slovis sideline view- SLOW decisions

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017

So much for those defending Slovis putting most of the blame on the OL. YES the OL is poor in pass protection, everyone see’s this and Kenny saved them last year.

BUT Slovis is super slow to process anything and make decisions. No we don’t have game breaking WR’s but there were tons of wide open guys Slovis continues to miss. He’s teammates are clearly fed up if you watch the sidelines as he got lucky Bradley was wide open. He put up meaningless stats after the game was over.

Once again our OC has been bad but Slovis has been just as bad. It’s like he is a frosh seeming his first game action. That’s why despite only playing 1 game I was really hoping we would make the switch to Yarnell. In his 1 game (very small sample) Yarnell was decisive. If his first read was not open it was quick to look for his second, third and check down. Bad job by PN to not bench Slovis.

Last edited:
The likes of USC don’t kick players out and down to our level by accident. Good ones would have been coveted by similar high quality programs and obviously nobody like that wanted him. He was no Burrow. Maybe more like a burro. Or burrito. Seriously, seems like a nice kid and I hope he improves, or at least doesn’t get his health destroyed here, but he doesn’t have it.

Reactions: Saboteur II
That seems to be the case for both Pitt and the Steelers - slow processing quarterbacks, pre-historic OCs and teammates that are getting fed up with both quarterback and OC. What the hell is going on over on the Southside?
Agree. Will big changes be made to the OC/playbooks during the season…probably not. But both teams need to give themselves a chance by switch QB’s.

Narduzzi won’t bench Slovis because it makes them look even worse for recruiting him. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside and Narduzzi has yet to show he’s able to do that.

So much for those defending Slovis putting most of the blame on the OL. YES the OL is poor in pass protection, everyone see’s this and Kenny saved them last year.

BUT Slovis is super slow to process anything and make decisions. No we don’t have game breaking WR’s but there were tons of wide open guys Slovis continues to miss. He’s teammates are clearly fed up if you watch the sidelines as he got lucky Bradley was wide open. He put up meaningless stats after the game was over.

Once again our OC has been bad but Slovis has been just as bad. It’s like he is a frosh seeming his first game action. That’s why despite only playing 1 game I was really hoping we would make the switch to Yarnell. In his 1 game (very small sample) Yarnell was decisive. If his first read was not open it was quick to look for his second, third and check down. Bad job by PN to not bench Slovis.
You cannot spell SLOvis without SLO.

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND
That seems to be the case for both Pitt and the Steelers - slow processing quarterbacks, pre-historic OCs and teammates that are getting fed up with both quarterback and OC. What the hell is going on over on the Southside?
Tear down that Stadium!!

I hate when people say this because you don't know the read progression, etc. and sometimes receivers appear open because the D already diagnosed the play and rotated away and so on BUT...

In the stadium last night (i.e not relying on TV view) you could see open receivers all over the place. Bartholomew had another wide open TD on the play before the interception intended for Johnson. In fact Johnson was only in on the interception play because Barth was having a meltdown about not getting the ball and had to sub out.

Yeah a concussion can slow you down and then fear of getting hit again can make you even antsier. Yarnell may be a huge bust, but he at least had confidence and poise. Maybe his height will let him see reads a little better or at least to not have multiple passes batted down. I don’t want Slovis to get reinsured for his health, though doubt duzz would just bench him without him being hurt. Pitt needs to build momentum. I don’t see that happening with Slovis.

Our OC has been really bad. Yes plays are slow but Slovis is even slower to get rid of the ball & see the field.

The game plan against RI should have been a warning sign. Why not get Slovis some work by throwing downfield? In hindsight, one of the worst called games ever and kind of set this one up.

I wasn't against Cignetti and thought he would be ok. Had a very good year with Jurkovec, made Stull serviceable, and got big years out of Baldwin, Dickerson & Dion Lewis. But this year has been bad, although the Slovis injury didn't help things. But as I said should have thrown more against RI to get him back into the flow of the game.

In the stadium last night (i.e not relying on TV view) you could see open receivers all over the place.

I won't say that there were never guys open, in fact we had two different plays were the slot receiver just ran a vertical route and ran right past everyone wide open for a touchdown if we had thrown him the ball, but for most of the game the thing that stood out to me was how many times when there was not one open guy all across the field.

Our passing woes are two-fold. First of all, our receivers most certainly do not get open often enough. And secondly, when they do our quarterback is way to slow in getting them the ball.

Hell of a combination.

Yeah a concussion can slow you down and then fear of getting hit again can make you even antsier. Yarnell may be a huge bust, but he at least had confidence and poise. Maybe his height will let him see reads a little better or at least to not have multiple passes batted down. I don’t want Slovis to get reinsured for his health, though doubt duzz would just bench him without him being hurt. Pitt needs to build momentum. I don’t see that happening with Slovis.
Agree that Slovis has not been the same since the hit vs TN that knocked him out of the game.

Doesn’t appear to be anything physical going on with him now. But maybe more of a mindset/confidence thing. Whatever it is, he needs to overcome it and he needs to do it VERY SOON. The offense looked impotent yesterday. That won’t cut it.

Reactions: Saboteur II

Yarnell played against a team Pitt was able to dominate up front. He was only asked to read half the field. If you put him in, it would be a lot uglier unless they go ultra conservative again.

What's going on with Slovis is normal & should improve over time as he gets more comfortable with the system and his recievers. The guy has only been at Pitt for 9 months. Ideally, the last 2 games would have been spent working out the kinks, but injuries kind of put a wrench in that.

But these are problems and issues you have to work through. It's natural for it to be ugly at times, unless you have elite talent to mask some of it. You don't pull the QB.

If things don't improve, that's when you know Cignetti is the problem. And yes, he sucked last night, but it's ridiculous to suggest Pitt had an opportunity for the passing game to perform at level anywhere close to last year with the current personnel.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I won't say that there were never guys open, in fact we had two different plays were the slot receiver just ran a vertical route and ran right past everyone wide open for a touchdown if we had thrown him the ball, but for most of the game the thing that stood out to me was how many times when there was not one open guy all across the field.

Our passing woes are two-fold. First of all, our receivers most certainly do not get open often enough. And secondly, when they do our quarterback is way to slow in getting them the ball.

Hell of a combination.
This is what I see as well.

Yarnell played against a team Pitt was able to dominate up front. He was only asked to read half the field. If you put him in, it would be a lot uglier unless they go ultra conservative again.

What's going on with Slovis is normal & should improve over time as he gets more comfortable with the system and his recievers. The guy has only been at Pitt for 9 months. Ideally, the last 2 games would have been spent working out the kinks, but injuries kind of put a wrench in that.

But these are problems and issues you have to work through. It's natural for it to be ugly at times, unless you have elite talent to mask some of it. You don't pull the QB.

If things don't improve, that's when you know Cignetti is the problem. And yes, he sucked last night, but it's ridiculous to suggest Pitt had an opportunity for the passing game to perform at level anywhere close to last year with the current personnel.
You’re clueless

This is what I see as well.

I mean look at those last two drives when we actually did move the ball. Yeah, there were a couple plays, both touchdown passes for sure, where we had guys running open. But those drives were also built on the receivers making challenged catches while being well covered. The only reason those passes even got thrown was because at that point, what choice did Slovis have? You either throw the ball or you lose.

Reactions: MajorMajors
You’re clueless

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

I truly think a pro style offense is out of date in college football. You need a QB that can run. You can run the ball but your QB has to be a threat in the run game as well. All I’m trying to say is Kenny got that respect last yr and I think that helped open things in the passing game. This yr Kedon’s inability to run and the WR’s just in general struggling are hurting the passing game.

I think this is a good point. Which is why It would be good to give Patti a chance. He at least can run a bit.
Is Patti still hurt ?

Narduzzi won’t bench Slovis because it makes them look even worse for recruiting him. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside and Narduzzi has yet to show he’s able to do that.
As angering as we deserve to be, it’s just one loss in the division that will have teams all losing bad games each week so I understand going with the experienced guy a while longer. But one more loss and pull the freaking plug on Lil Max.

Patti has the better pocket awareness and is a better scrambler to extend plays but he isnt nearly as good of a passer as Slovis.

Our plays are slow developing and our WRs arent "that" open so I think Slovis is afraid of getting picked. Similar to Tino in that regard. Also, Tino had probably the worst WR core in Pitt history. A lot of Slovis's issues are on the WR's. And Slovis is used to throwing to Pickens, a 1st Rounder, not Bub Means

The game plan against RI should have been a warning sign. Why not get Slovis some work by throwing downfield? In hindsight, one of the worst called games ever and kind of set this one up.

I wasn't against Cignetti and thought he would be ok. Had a very good year with Jurkovec, made Stull serviceable, and got big years out of Baldwin, Dickerson & Dion Lewis. But this year has been bad, although the Slovis injury didn't help things. But as I said should have thrown more against RI to get him back into the flow of the game.

Playing in a Graham Harrell air raid offense didn't do him any favors now that he's being asked to read the whole field. Maybe he is just slow to process or maybe it just looks like Chinese to him so far.

Not that he would answer the question but I would like to know if Cignetti would have prioritized Slovis over the others in the portal like Narduzzi did.

There was a big difference in him from pre Tenn injury to this.
Looked slow, timid, small. Even handoffs a step slow.
Its a worry the rest of year.
That said the gameplan was one for a backup qb or a starter with one arm.

I hate when people say this because you don't know the read progression, etc. and sometimes receivers appear open because the D already diagnosed the play and rotated away and so on BUT...

In the stadium last night (i.e not relying on TV view) you could see open receivers all over the place. Bartholomew had another wide open TD on the play before the interception intended for Johnson. In fact Johnson was only in on the interception play because Barth was having a meltdown about not getting the ball and had to sub out.
Wow really? Dang that is bad 😞

Counter argument is that he also recruited Yarnell. You could make the argument that it looks equally bad to recruit a transfer quarterback every year because you weren't able to develop the ones you recruited out of high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT