ADVERTISEMENT

Slovis sideline view- SLOW decisions

So much for those defending Slovis putting most of the blame on the OL. YES the OL is poor in pass protection, everyone see’s this and Kenny saved them last year.

BUT Slovis is super slow to process anything and make decisions. No we don’t have game breaking WR’s but there were tons of wide open guys Slovis continues to miss. He’s teammates are clearly fed up if you watch the sidelines as he got lucky Bradley was wide open. He put up meaningless stats after the game was over.

Once again our OC has been bad but Slovis has been just as bad. It’s like he is a frosh seeming his first game action. That’s why despite only playing 1 game I was really hoping we would make the switch to Yarnell. In his 1 game (very small sample) Yarnell was decisive. If his first read was not open it was quick to look for his second, third and check down. Bad job by PN to not bench Slovis.
The name Slovis actually derives from a term in the Latvian Orthodox religion that literally means "Slow Vision"

We seem to like the USC QBs that get sidelined and transfer out only to show up and start here and demonstrate exactly why they lost their starting gigs.

Both Pitt and USC use mostly pro-style concepts and eschew many of the more popular concepts of college football offense. For better or worse. But that's why we have taken 2 of their QBs. It's just a good fit.

Both Pitt and USC use mostly pro-style concepts and eschew many of the more popular concepts of college football offense. For better or worse. But that's why we have taken 2 of their QBs. It's just a good fit.
The best pros don’t even play the “pro” style any longer. The best ones have dual threat QB and focus on movement and matchups and getting the best athletes into space. It also seems to neutralize talent deficiencies by putting pressure and causing confusion among the opponent. .

Pitt’s offense really accomplishes the opposite; it neutralizes the supposed advantages we should have over worse programs like RI and GT.

I will grant that the offense performed fairly well Vs WVU and early on vs. TN. But we then saw what happened… against better teams they will eventually bring heat and demolish an immobile pro set QB. With the pass threat then neutralized, they will crowd the box and eliminate the running game. The clock struck midnight in OT Vs TN and Pitt offense went out with a whimper, and it’s been whimpering ever since. The model for supposedly underdog programs beating us us now pretty simple, shut down our run, get heat on the QB who is suffering from PTSD and you’ve neutered our offense. That means even a team with zero offensive talent like GT can win fairly easily, as Pitt’s D is ok but not proficient enough to totally shut the opponent down.

What can we do about this? Right now, nothing. Cignetti is Cignetti, Slovis is Slovis. The offense is the offense. They won’t / can’t change it. We’re going to see a bunch of 24-21 games like last week the rest of the way and whoever wins them will be arbitrary. Hopefully it mostly will be us.

Reactions: 303vND
Playing in a Graham Harrell air raid offense didn't do him any favors now that he's being asked to read the whole field. Maybe he is just slow to process or maybe it just looks like Chinese to him so far.

Not that he would answer the question but I would like to know if Cignetti would have prioritized Slovis over the others in the portal like Narduzzi did.
I strongly suspect the love from PN to Slovis before this game is designed to bolster his confidence and get him to not play scared.
I hope it works.

I strongly suspect the love from PN to Slovis before this game is designed to bolster his confidence and get him to not play scared.
I hope it works.
Hope you are right. It would be hard for any qb to follow 2022 Pickett... Especially when he is still in town but sheesh. I was watching sports center a few days ago and as they were talking about Pickett starting they mentioned how much Pitt missed him and how bad the qb play was. They didn't mention Slovis' name but they didn't have to.

ADVERTISEMENT