ADVERTISEMENT

So far so good, but

Pete108K11

Scholarship
Feb 9, 2016
this Pitt team has a definite weakness on the boards. Can defensive intensity overcome this weakness? Pitt has played only five minutes of zone defense this year and being undersized; zone might be the better choice when facing a bigger team. While I like the defensive intensity of Capel's man to man; to this point Pitt has only toyed with double teaming and with corner or midcourt traps. I expect to see more variations of defense as the season progresses. Going against a legit scoring power forward is where a mismatch will be the most evident, like Varnado of Troy, who had 22 and 11 against us. Pitt will need more than a straight up (helping) man to man. I'm pretty sure there are one or two legit power forwards in our path this year to be matched up against our 6'5" forwards.

this Pitt team has a definite weakness on the boards. Can defensive intensity overcome this weakness? Pitt has played only five minutes of zone defense this year and being undersized; zone might be the better choice when facing a bigger team. While I like the defensive intensity of Capel's man to man; to this point Pitt has only toyed with double teaming and with corner or midcourt traps. I expect to see more variations of defense as the season progresses. Going against a legit scoring power forward is where a mismatch will be the most evident, like Varnado of Troy, who had 22 and 11 against us. Pitt will need more than a straight up (helping) man to man. I'm pretty sure there are one or two legit power forwards in our path this year to be matched up against our 6'5" forwards.

Yea, um, that's why we are going to lose a ton in the ACC and pretty much everyone expects us to. Its also why Capel has been recruting primarily big men. Kene looks much improved though, maybe a legit ACC backup, never thought I'd say that. Brown has offensive skill but still cant rebound

If you heard some of his post game interviews, he continually emphasizes "gang rebounding". He wants his guards helping the bigs. Not all of them leaking for run outs.

So that mentality plus an emphasis on boxing out fundamentals will have to be utilized. First shot defense and first shot rebounds will be a large determinant as to how many games Pitt has a chance in vs better competition. Pitt just can't afford to be giving up bunches of 2nd/3rd chance opportunities.

You point out defensive rebounding as a weakness and you want to play zone? It's much harder to keep a team off the offensive glass while playing zone rather than man.

Reactions: HOF Coach
You point out defensive rebounding as a weakness and you want to play zone? It's much harder to keep a team off the offensive glass while playing zone rather than man.

Great point--so much harder to defensive rebound out of a zone.

Also, if the play of Brown and Chukwuka continues to improve--and Capel seems to be coaching them up--defensive rebounding problems due to a height disadvantage will become less of a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT