ADVERTISEMENT

So sick of paying ComCast ..

mike 301

Head Coach
Jan 30, 2013
Just got my monthly cable bill .. around $300 ..
Does ANYone know of an internet/phone line only company available in the Allegheny east area .
It's killing me to have to pay that when I and the family rely on primarily internet . Maybe home phone .. 100 or so useless channels I do not need .. Or want .. ?

Just use your phone for internet and watch TV over an antennae. SMF had instructions on how to set that up
Seriously though , I live in a valley and the band width is general shit .. I've seen the latest and greatest of antenna's on sale but I've tried them in the past( long ago) with not much luck ..

Just use your phone for internet and watch TV over an antennae. SMF had instructions on how to set that up
I pay $140/month for Verizon Fios + YouTube TV and get every channel I need except HBO but I'll be adding that for $15/month once the GOT prequel starts.

When Comcast added ACCN, I called them to see if I can get a cheapo new customer promo and even that was more expensive than what I'm paying. But for me now, it's not even about price so much. I find YTTV to be superior to Xfinity

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
$3600/year for cable/internet. Wow.

I'm at $800/year for internet/voip and it irritates me to no end.

We just trashed Spectrum cable for the same reason. Switched to Youtube TV. Still get all the ESPN channels included ACCN. Also get all the local PGH channels plus dozens more. Still use Spectrum for internet. Trimmed over $125 off the total bill, including subscriptions.

Only negative is losing Root Sports.

Reactions: 303vND
Thank You Muchly ...
Get an Ooma Telo if you must have a “home” phone. I do, and I pay taxes only every month. Less than $6.00 where I live.

Seriously though , I live in a valley and the band width is general shit .. I've seen the latest and greatest of antenna's on sale but I've tried them in the past( long ago) with not much luck ..
Wait, you live in the valley and need a good tv guy? I hear this guy is excellent. And I hear he’s a good karate teacher too.

th

Just got my monthly cable bill .. around $300 ..
Does ANYone know of an internet/phone line only company available in the Allegheny east area .
It's killing me to have to pay that when I and the family rely on primarily internet . Maybe home phone .. 100 or so useless channels I do not need .. Or want .. ?
I don't know what's available there but I live in eastern Ohio and subscribe to Frontier only. Bought a Samsung smart TV and get TV channels free and watch Internet stuff through my TV. Haven't had cable in years. My Internet bill is only $30ish a month.

We just trashed Spectrum cable for the same reason. Switched to Youtube TV. Still get all the ESPN channels included ACCN. Also get all the local PGH channels plus dozens more. Still use Spectrum for internet. Trimmed over $125 off the total bill, including subscriptions.

Only negative is losing Root Sports.
I always forget about whatever they call the Pens/Pirates channel now. You do lose that with YTTV but the Pens probably play 25 games on national networks plus all playoff games. Are the those 60ish regular season Pens games plus the hapless Pirates worth $1000/year?

I always forget about whatever they call the Pens/Pirates channel now. You do lose that with YTTV but the Pens probably play 25 games on national networks plus all playoff games. Are the those 60ish regular season Pens games plus the hapless Pirates worth $1000/year?

There is at least one streaming service with AT&T Pittsburgh on it. I know because I have it.

No. That's why I was good with switch. Sacrifice some Pens viewing til after the holidays when some games are shown on the big networks. Plus, my nephew lives nearby and can always catch a game with him.

Comcast is one of the companies that will always exist , like Apple.
If you know nothing and want to throw money away, they will take it.

No. That's why I was good with switch. Sacrifice some Pens viewing til after the holidays when some games are shown on the big networks. Plus, my nephew lives nearby and can always catch a game with him.
You mentioned you had Spectrum. Are you in SW PA? Because if not, you can catch every Pens game on ESPN+ for around $6/month.

Closer to Erie. Will look into that. Thanks.
Hmm. I think you have a pretty good chance of Pens games NOT being blacked on ESPN+

ESPN+ shows all the local NHL broadcasts so being that you're in Erie, not sure that the Pens or Sabres can claim that territory as theirs so you may be good to go

Hmm. I think you have a pretty good chance of Pens games NOT being blacked on ESPN+

That is almost certainly NOT the case. The Penguins television territory absolutely covers Erie, as well as eastern Ohio, the western about 2/3 of Pennsylvania and all of West Virginia. And I think a small part of western Maryland.

Basically every place that you can get AT&T Pittsburgh is part of the Penguins market.

Reactions: cease10
That is almost certainly NOT the case. The Penguins television territory absolutely covers Erie, as well as eastern Ohio, the western about 2/3 of Pennsylvania and all of West Virginia. And I think a small part of western Maryland.

Basically every place that you can get AT&T Pittsburgh is part of the Penguins market.
Yes. But you and I don't know how the ESPN+ blackout works. While it's certainly possible that Pens games are blacked out on ESPN+ in Erie, Cumberland, and the Pens hotbed of southern WV, it's also possible that the new ESPN+ deal calls for blackouts only in a 50-100 mile radius

The Penguins haven’t changed anything, aka, haven’t improved one iota in the offseason. If you watched most of last season and the (fleeting) post season, it’s going to be much the same. Wouldn’t let this year’s Pens be a reason to not change your service.

Yes. But you and I don't know how the ESPN+ blackout works. While it's certainly possible that Pens games are blacked out on ESPN+ in Erie, Cumberland, and the Pens hotbed of southern WV, it's also possible that the new ESPN+ deal calls for blackouts only in a 50-100 mile radius
The blackout radius is more than that. I live in SE Kentucky and the games against Columbus and Nashville are always blacked out here.

I appreciate the thought. I was fortunate, the flooding was to the east. I have friends in the area who say they've never seen such devastation.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I streamed a Pens playoff game from my phone in my Erie hotel this past Spring.

Why can't you just choose the 30 or so stations you want? The packages are a pain in the ass and set up to confuse and complicate consumers!

Lol. Comcast internet has been phenomenal since the beginning. If your only gripe is money, then that’s on you, not Comcast. Plenty of ways for you to have cheaper internet.
Reliability/ speed is more important to us. You wouldn’t complain if you lived in some of the areas I’ve worked and had to setup project offices, where Hughesnet or Viasat was the best internet option. I would say shut up and deal with it..
Ahh yes. As someone who works mostly from home and has a home office, Comcast has been incredibly reliable and fast for internet. So that's why I pay. Until the past 2 weeks, we had an outage, lost service for a couple of days and have been spotty since. So I am now doing what Comcast does to all of us. I am backbilling them.

This is another one of those things that you assume because you don't know the facts that it's not possible that anyone else could know them.

In places where AT&T is available on the local cable/satellite packages the games are blacked out. Period. Because people like AT&T are paying for exclusivity. And allowing people in their markets to bypass them is the opposite of exclusivity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT