ADVERTISEMENT

So, what’s up with all the DE recruiting?

pitt_fb_9x1

Scholarship
Feb 5, 2003
I understand that Chryst was heavy on the Offensive side, but seems to me Narduzzi
has the same thing going on the D...........and yes, for the peanut gallery, I’ve watched
this D for the last 4 years.....I really want to see more lbs,wrs,ol........

Now, this may just be the random thing..where they allotted 4 de in a class and everybody committed at once....I understand that...But looking at past pitt recruiting, usually the o-lineman commit first...we need a ton more on the o side.........really college football outside the top 6-8 teams is about offense

Jmho,

Some old pitt fan-ps. Kenny Pickett agrees,,,,

I understand that Chryst was heavy on the Offensive side, but seems to me Narduzzi
has the same thing going on the D...........and yes, for the peanut gallery, I’ve watched

Now, this may just be the random thing..where they allotted 4 de in a class and everybody committed at once....I understand that...But looking at past pitt recruiting, usually the o-lineman commit first...we need a ton more on the o side.........really college football outside the top 6-8 teams is about offense

Jmho,

Read your own sorry post.
"...But looking at past Pitt recruiting.." (as opposed to future?)

When in the last 3.5 decades have we finished in the top 10? Insanity is doing something the same way and expecting different results.
Therefore, you are insane.

Could you please reference where a top ten recruiting class was implied here?
Please on Tuesday’s refrain from ipa’s......

TY

Ot- half of this site bashed the staff for taking Kenny Pickett as a recruit 2 years ago. On topic, there's a good bit of young talent on the roster who we haven't seen at OL, WR and LBer.

Jmho,

My point was that most coaches, if they come from a certain discipline-be that of offense or defense ,tend, to a certain degree, over recruit their speciality...nothing more, nothing less. Thank god chryst did in the seasons we beat Clemson/psu....

Jmho,

My guess is that Narduzzi never wants to experience the defenses Pitt put on the field the previous 3 seasons again. Thus he's going to bring in the type player he wants on the D in order to not have those problems surface once again. He's playing the numbers game in hoping that at least half his D recruits perform to the level he wants. Hopefully we can have a QB in place to make up for any deficiencies with may have on the offense.

In CFB you win with defensive linemen and a playmaking QB

I would be concerned of PN did NOT bring in a bunch of D Ends....

Remember two years back we lost on a ton of DEs - mostly to VT. We need to stock that position. Last year and this year is the restocking program.

It’s not ideal from a class distribution, but makes sense if you look at the scholarship board and our lack of production from the DE position (less our bicycle short wearing Price).

Coaches probably feel it's the one position in most need of a talent upgrade relative to others, so it's getting a lot of attention.

sign them up, get them a redshirt and two years from now, we can all worry about what position they play. worrying about it now, 2 months before they even play a snap of high school football in their senior year, is stupid.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
sign them up, get them a redshirt and two years from now, we can all worry about what position they play. worrying about it now, 2 months before they even play a snap of high school football in their senior year, is stupid.

Clemons moved to OT...a couple of guys (Soto maybe?) moved inside. I like the looks of this Brima. Its about time Pitt got a few Pterodactyls out there....

Clemons moved to OT...a couple of guys (Soto maybe?) moved inside. I like the looks of this Brima. Its about time Pitt got a few Pterodactyls out there....
I get so damn worried about numbers and positions. I want to see where our depth chart is in 2021 and im finally coming to the realization that im jumping the gun on this and trying to project something that is very fluid.. I always scream about too many damn tight ends for 2020 and who the hell knows what out TE (or any position) will look like in 2020.

So in short, im finally starting to see the errors of my ways. or error of my ways, whichever one is correct.. A 17 year old recruit who weighs 225 now could be 285 or 230 by the time he's ready to take the field at pitt. These kids who are verballing now, most of them wont step foot on a field in a college game for at least 3 years, if not more. for a 17 year old, that's a lifetime.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Brima looks like an offensive lineman playing end. Nelms moves decently for his size but is nowhere close to fast enough to turn the corner. I’d guess he gets moved inside and if he doesn’t stick there they’ll try him on offense. Similar to Wanny getting DL like Pinkston, Clemmings, Malecki and moving them over. Although neither of these guys is on that level. I’d be curious to see film of either playing offense.

You gotta luv the the way we are recruiting the Dend position. 3 stars or not. Everyone has a ton of good offers except Brima. However, he is a late bloomer and you can’t teach a 6’7 235 defensive end with a lot of athletic ability.

The simplest way I could put it.

1- DL tend to be more athletic than OL. If they fail at DL, they can often move to OL.
2 - Kids grow. DEs often grow into DTs. But then they are fairly quick for a DT.

Sure, a top OL is always great to get. And some monster DT is fun to have. But if there are 2 positions I like to always recruit heavy.

1- DL ... for the reasons mentioned above
2- RBs - They tend to be the best athletes on their HS teams, and if they fail at RB can often be moved to other positions, LB, S, WR!

Options.

Three of the four positions on the defensive line in our front should be quick athletes who probably played either defensive end or even linebacker in high school (5, 3, and 6 tech). Narduzzi isn't doing anything crazy here.

2 - Kids grow. DEs often grow into DTs. But then they are fairly quick for a DT.

Indeed, plus once the kid gets his redshirt and freshmen year in and shows a love for the game, it is an easy sell for the coaches to say, "Look, you can be an average college DE/DT, but at 6'5" with your athleticism you can make great living at OT if you...."
and they lay out the path to an NFL career for the kid who is just not quite quick or instinctive enough to go to the next level on defense.

Reactions: Crimmins27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT