ADVERTISEMENT

So you want to hire a coach?

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
We really need to examine college basketball as it exists today when hiring the next coach. Not even 10 years ago, but today. Because it is much different to try and build a program now. For example, I bring to you all a cautionary fable in looking for the next Pitt coach. And that is the University of Georgia.

Georgia also was looking for a new basketball coach the same time we were when we hired Jeff Capel and they hired Tom Crean. While we all can agree Crean is a dick and not very likeable, he was also successful and a fairly big name. In fact, I remember his name bantied about for the Pitt job until Georgia hired him.

Now Georgia certainly is not a blueblood in college basketball. In fact it is one of the more "meh" programs. Mark Fox coached Georgia for like a decade before he was fired, and he seemed to go 19-15 every year. But it also sits in a talent rich area. So Tom Crean was hired to take over for Fox who went 18-15 (again). Georgia, like alot of other SEC programs, decided it was going to get serious.

So in comes Crean, and like Jeff Capel had to throw together a recruiting class. And it was a meh recruiting class. Crean's first year he went 11-21, and 2-16 in conference! Yikes. But.....Crean was also bringing in the 3rd best class in college basketball in 2019! This class was led by 5 star Anthony Edwards who was rated #2 in this class, and 4 other 4 stars who were top 100 kids. We would sell our mother's soul for that kind of class. So UGa will be rolling! Unfortunately the 19-20 year was the Covid shut it down year, and Georgia rebounded to 16-16 and 5-13 in conference.

That's okay. Future is bright, right? The 2020 class was much less ballyhooed. One 4 star, ranked 37th overall. In 20-21 Crean and Georgia went 14-12 and 7-11 in conference. But a funny thing happened.

That 2019 class. Five Star Anthony Edwards was a 1 and done, going to the NBA.
4 star Sevir Wheeler transferred to UK
4 star Christian Brown transferred to Tenn State
4 star Toumani Camera transferred to Dayton
4 star Jaywan Walton transferred to Miss State.

2020 class?
Their best recruit, 4 star K.D. Johnson is now playing for Auburn.

(Any of this sound familiar?) Oh wait...if not, it will. Trust me it will.

2021's recruiting class. 2 players. Both unranked 3 star kids, the whole class didn't make Rivals top 75.

Georgia this year? 5-14. 0-6 in conference and wait, tell me if you have heard this before? Zero.Zero commits for the 2022 class!!!! Anyone betting Tom Crean won't be the coach for Georgia next year? Think Georgia fans right now are lamenting those 20-15, and .500 seasons in the SEC???

My point here, a big name, big recruiter for a program like Pitt is not going to work. Kids don't stick around or stick out anything anymore. Part of the reason is they no longer have to. We can argue the pros and cons about that mentality but that is another thread. Secondly, these kids are already fairly nomadic with HS recruiting moving from public to prep and then from prep to prep, so they are used to this. Also, if you are a talent (Hi Champ) you will go to the League.

I think again Pitt needs to look at a really good X and O coach who can bring in kids for the long haul and also find transfers to fit his system and build a team that way. We have seen at Pitt what happens when kids get early success, they are all gone. All of them. So looking at this, looking at Georgia, looking at Georgetown, maybe a different model is needed instead of a big name coach.

Crean isn’t just a recruiter
He is the tactician with a system you are craving
He has also been incredibly mediocre at best

there is no silver bullet .
If hiring was easy all schools would nail it .
Hell unc looks to have screwed up 2 of their last 3 hires

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT