ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Losing Badly

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
3-0 at home to unranked VT in the 68th minute. Publicity might be the killer for Pitt teams. Soccer team gets some pub and loses three straight. Volleyball down 2 sets to 1 at Louisville. Since P-G story this might be their second consecutive loss.

I don’t see any way Pitt soccer makes NCAAs now unless they win 2 ACC tourney games...and they played like crap tonight.

Update: Volleyball ties match at 2 sets apiece. Interesting that Louisville is a senior and junior dominated team. Pitt freshman and sophomore dominated.

Further update: Louisville wins 5th set and match 15-12. Their coach called 2 TOs perfectly to stop Pitt momentum. Fisher waited way too long to call TO as Louisville ran off 8-1 streak before he did.

Last edited:
A lot of strides made though for both teams this year. I guess swimming and diving doing decent too.

they played like crap tonight.

For me, the worst part wasn't so much that they played poorly, it's that way too many guys just quit on plays on a regular basis. And I'm not talking about after it became 3-0, which might be understandable to some degree. No, there were a couple of guys who seemed to not be into the game right from the opening kick. Which, with what was on the line, makes no sense at all.

We get Notre Dame in the first round of the ACC tournament. If we win we get North Carolina in the second round. At this point I think they need three wins to get a bid. In other words, they need to get to the ACC championship. And if they don't play a lot better than they did tonight they aren't going to get close to one win, let alone three.

they played like crap tonight.

For me, the worst part wasn't so much that they played poorly, it's that way too many guys just quit on plays on a regular basis. And I'm not talking about after it became 3-0, which might be understandable to some degree. No, there were a couple of guys who seemed to not be into the game right from the opening kick. Which, with what was on the line, makes no sense at all.

We get Notre Dame in the first round of the ACC tournament. If we win we get North Carolina in the second round. At this point I think they need three wins to get a bid. In other words, they need to get to the ACC championship. And if they don't play a lot better than they did tonight they aren't going to get close to one win, let alone three.

If they beat ND and UNC, they are in but that's not happening. They looked woefully bad tonight, embarrassingly bad. This was the college basketball equivalent of a season-ending must-win bubble game for both teams and getting run out of your gym by 30.

The score was only 3-0 but that's probably too kind for Pitt because it wasn't even thst close. Total domination from VT right from the opening whistle. I didn't understand it from such a medicore side like VT.

The reality is this Pitt team only has a handful of ACC players. They are strong up the middle with their GK, 2 CBs (Cregan, Hill), 2 central midfielders (Perez, Plonellas), and at striker with Kizza. Also, Dexter, the other striker is ACC quality but after that, its a big step down. I don't want to call olympic sports athletes out but there's a few guys that play a lot who have no business out there but that's the way it has to be right now.

This squad took some nice steps this year and made things exciting but they have a longer way to go than even we thought.

And agreed, the turnout was awesome. No Oakland Zoo (I thought they said they were coming) but the bleachers looked full and there were people standing around basically the entire field. I'd estimate a crowd of 1000. Pretty good atmosphere. If Vidovich can keep improving, I can see this program developing a good niche fanbase.

They are strong up the middle with their GK, 2 CBs (Cregan, Hill), 2 central midfielders (Perez, Plonellas), and at striker with Kizza.

Cregan being injured certainly doesn't help, and my guess after seeing him tonight is that we aren't going to see him out on the field the rest of the year, no matter how long that is. Planellas was awful tonight. Played like his body may have been in Oakland but his mind was back in Spain. Right down to him just laying down on the turf late in the game when, well, let's just say it didn't look like he was hurt at all and leave it at that. Perez actually getting hurt and only playing the first 25-ish minutes certainly didn't help either.

ADVERTISEMENT