ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective on this win

ECUPittfan

Senior
May 29, 2001
Lets put this in perspective. It was a collapse at the end but a W. Who would have thought we would be 2-0 in conference play with road wins over NC State and Syracuse when the season started. The UNC game is most likely the biggest game for Pitt since the Dixon years. Win this and you have to start thinking NCAA tournament. We still play Louisville 2x, BC 1x, FSU 2x, and GT 2x. All games we should be favored in. 10 win ACC teams make the tournament usually.

Lets put this in perspective. It was a collapse at the end but a W. Who would have thought we would be 2-0 in conference play with road wins over NC State and Syracuse when the season started. The UNC game is most likely the biggest game for Pitt since the Dixon years. Win this and you have to start thinking NCAA tournament. We still play Louisville 2x, BC 1x, FSU 2x, and GT 2x. All games we should be favored in. 10 win ACC teams make the tournament usually.
The collapse really means nothing, a win is a win. Teaching moment without the pain.

The collapse really means nothing, a win is a win. Teaching moment without the pain.
You weren’t suffering any pain at the end there? I was feeling sick with Cuse taking the ball out down 1 with 17 seconds to go. Nice steal to snuff that out but then the charge call on Burton.

But yeah, a good teaching moment. You’d hope that will help them in the future to not let a big lead like that slip away. But by the same token, if they do run into a game where that’s happening, the jitters could be compounded as they start thinking oh no, another Cuse moment.

Yes, teaching moment. My question is....what will the staff be teaching? Defense? Boxing out? Protecting the ball? Better game management for Capel? Clock management? All of the above? There's a lot to teach given what they did tonight, or didn't do.

Why do you always minimize things? We were up by 18 and nearly blew the game. The coaching was non-existent, the team seemed to come unglued and it was fairly obvious they were told to hold the ball until the shot clock expired every play. Um that didn't work too well.

Hands down if we had a better head coach that doesn't happen. But yeah we hung on and still won.

I'm curious to know what you would be saying if Pitt had lost. My guess is you would be making excuses and claiming everything was still great.

10 win ACC teams make the tournament usually.

Need to go 13-7 and even then, we probably need 1, maybe 2 in the ACCT depending on who we would have beaten for those 13. If several of Duke/UNC/UVa/VT are a part of that, then you may not have to win any in the ACCT.

Need to go 13-7 and even then, we probably need 1, maybe 2 in the ACCT depending on who we would have beaten for those 13. If several of Duke/UNC/UVa/VT are a part of that, then you may not have to win any in the ACCT.
Yeah, Wake won 23 and 13-7 last year and was left out. Gonna be tough.

Man Syracuse is depressing. Bad crowd, bad team. How do they not run Jimmy B out!?

Yeah, Wake won 23 and 13-7 last year and was left out. Gonna be tough.

Its really tough to get an at-large bid out of the 12 team ACC within the ACC. Last year, only Miami and ND got them and VT had to win the ACCT. The best we can hope for is 13-7 and a softer bubble. Had a 1 point lead in the final seconds at Vandy and a 4 point lead with 2 minutes left vs VCU. Win those 2 and things are much different.

Why do you always minimize things? We were up by 18 and nearly blew the game. The coaching was non-existent, the team seemed to come unglued and it was fairly obvious they were told to hold the ball until the shot clock expired every play. Um that didn't work too well.

Hands down if we had a better head coach that doesn't happen. But yeah we hung on and still won.

I'm curious to know what you would be saying if Pitt had lost. My guess is you would be making excuses and claiming everything was still great.
Why do you always maximize things?

Yes, teaching moment. My question is....what will the staff be teaching? Defense? Boxing out? Protecting the ball? Better game management for Capel? Clock management? All of the above? There's a lot to teach given what they did tonight, or didn't do.

the team ran out of gas. The gameplan was awesome.. we scored 80 pts in 35 min v this zone. We got dead tired and tried "holding" onto the lead, instead of playing the way we were.

the team ran out of gas. The gameplan was awesome.. we scored 80 pts in 35 min v this zone. We got dead tired and tried "holding" onto the lead, instead of playing the way we were.
The way the last 5 minutes unfolded is something we’ve seen thousands of times in sports. One team is protecting a lead while the other plays free and easy, gets super aggressive and has no pressure. Yeah Pitt could have handled things much better, but I wouldn’t over analyze that game too much. The first 30 minutes were beautiful.

Let’s put this in perspective. It was a collapse at the end but a W. Who would have thought we would be 2-0 in conference play with road wins over NC State and Syracuse when the season started. The UNC game is most likely the biggest game for Pitt since the Dixon years. Win this and you have to start thinking NCAA tournament. We still play Louisville 2x, BC 1x, FSU 2x, and GT 2x. All games we should be favored in. 10 win ACC teams make the tournament usually.
Problem is 10 ACC wins isn’t going to do it. They’re gonna have to go 12-6 in league to be considered. Would put them at 21-10 and on the bubble

Was thinking 10-8 in conference but now see we are up to 20 conference games. 12-8 can do it. That vandy loss could really come back to bite us.

Reactions: 303vND

I minimize everything because you maximize everything.

If we would have lost, I would have been pissed. But we didn’t and if you watch enough basketball, comebacks like this happen every night to all kinds of teams (good and bad).

Things like this aren’t always about coaching. You can preach to them all you want about what to do and how to do it, but it all goes out the window when a team starts to press you and a tidal wave of emotion comes over you.

At the end of the day, we are 2-0 and playing pretty good ball. I am not going to say we are an NIT team, let alone an NCAA team. However, we are a competitive team that can play with any team on our schedule. For now, that will have to be enough for all of us. I hope it turns into more, but I won’t go there yet.

The way the last 5 minutes unfolded is something we’ve seen thousands of times in sports. One team is protecting a lead while the other plays free and easy, gets super aggressive and has no pressure. Yeah Pitt could have handled things much better, but I wouldn’t over analyze that game too much. The first 30 minutes were beautiful.

Pretty much how I saw it as well.

I minimize everything because you maximize everything.

If we would have lost, I would have been pissed. But we didn’t and if you watch enough basketball, comebacks like this happen every night to all kinds of teams (good and bad).

Things like this aren’t always about coaching. You can preach to them all you want about what to do and how to do it, but it all goes out the window when a team starts to press you and a tidal wave of emotion comes over you.

At the end of the day, we are 2-0 and playing pretty good ball. I am not going to say we are an NIT team, let alone an NCAA team. However, we are a competitive team that can play with any team on our schedule. For now, that will have to be enough for all of us. I hope it turns into more, but I won’t go there yet.

We've all seen this happen plenty of times. I've sure you remember the ACC tournament game against UNC in 2014. Or the Big East Tourney game against L-ville in 2006. Same thing. Quite frankly, I didn't think the Cuse had it in them but they did. It's hard for teams to value possessions when up 20, and the Panthers still don't know how to do this. It's a balance between being patient and being aggressive. We never found that balance. Regardless, I still thought this was a really nice win.

Here's some perspective on last night's win.

Iowa was a 31.5 point favorite over Eastern Illinois tonight. They were leading at the half by eight. They ended up losing by nine. Eastern Illinois is the first 30 point underdog to win a game in the last 30 years. Before tonight, in the last 30 years teams that were underdogs by 30 or more points were 0-558.

So yeah, boo hoo, we had to hold on to our lead to win the game against decent competition on the road.

Nearly losing the lead and losing to Vandy and VCU logically should keep optimism under control.

Even gaining Dior and a more effective Hugley comes with the caveat of how it effects team chemistry.

And..do we really expect Nelly and Gregg to keep hitting threes at their recent level?

We have some talent.We have some experienced guards. We have the pieces to compete.

Now is the time to bank wins, not pre-count future wins.

Here's some perspective on last night's win.

Iowa was a 31.5 point favorite over Eastern Illinois tonight. They were leading at the half by eight. They ended up losing by nine. Eastern Illinois is the first 30 point underdog to win a game in the last 30 years. Before tonight, in the last 30 years teams that were underdogs by 30 or more points were 0-558.

So yeah, boo hoo, we had to hold on to our lead to win the game against decent competition on the road.
Thanks, Joe!

Sure there is teaching, but as Hinson said afterwards most games are games of runs, Pitt had its run for 30 minutes, Cuse had its the last 10 minutes.

Pitt had a handful of good shots during the last minute that just didn't fall, that had fallen earlier.

And, there also is a depth issue. They simply were gassed. Real time, when they were being over run by the Cuse press, I was thinking man, would Johnson look good right now.

Reactions: TreesHero
Hands down if we had a better head coach that doesn't happen.
I'm not going to excuse Capel
in this case, but comebacks
falling just short, or actually
winning out, happen all the
time in bball. And it happens
to coaches other than Capel.

Um, it did work out pretty well. Pitt won.

If you're trying to hold on to a lead, missing shots at the end of the shot clock instead of the beginning works out a little better.

What would you be saying if Pitt was shooting and missing 10 seconds into each possession and lost?

I love your perspective and optimism. This team has been fun to watch. I personally still feel like I'm learning who they are so I am slow to read into anything beyond the next game. This coaching staff scares me still because we have seen things look really good and then swing really bad really quick. For now I'm just happy to see good hometown basketball!

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT