ADVERTISEMENT

Somewhat OT: Marvin Bagley, NCAA Clearinghouse

sappycrease

Redshirt
Oct 12, 2015
As a diehard PITT basketball AND football supporter, I am baffled right now with the NCAA's slow pace on clearing/not Paris Ford.

Meanwhile, Coach K can get the consensus top player in high school basketball to reclassify, commit, and qualify at Duke in a timeframe of a few weeks. Bagley has attended 3 different high schools (like Ford) and just finished his Junior year of high school - and your going to tell me that the NCAA is okay clearing him to play at Duke two weeks before classes begin? A few weeks after deciding to reclassify? I guess it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Sorry for the rant but how a guy can have this much pull with the NCAA just because he's won a bunch of game blows my mind.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I for one am not unhappy Bagley chose Duke. Had he opted for USC they have enough returning talent that they could have possibly been ranked preseason #1, opening the door for repeated Andy Enfield discussion on here.

As a diehard PITT basketball AND football supporter, I am baffled right now with the NCAA's slow pace on clearing/not Paris Ford.

Meanwhile, Coach K can get the consensus top player in high school basketball to reclassify, commit, and qualify at Duke in a timeframe of a few weeks. Bagley has attended 3 different high schools (like Ford) and just finished his Junior year of high school - and your going to tell me that the NCAA is okay clearing him to play at Duke two weeks before classes begin? A few weeks after deciding to reclassify? I guess it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Sorry for the rant but how a guy can have this much pull with the NCAA just because he's won a bunch of game blows my mind.
Not about pull at all. Paris Ford didn't even finish whatever makeup/course he was taking until last week. Based on the fact he is not yet cleared, he must have not been taking a pre-approved class, so the Clearinghouse will have to look into that.

The problem here is Paris Ford wasn't eligible against the sliding scale until (at best) last week AND his transcript must include at least one non pre-approved course.

This has nothing to do with Coach K/Duke.

Reactions: levance2

Isnt Duke a highly rated academic school? Shouldn't their " student athletes"
be held to a higher standard than the other " dopes" who play college basketball?
The larger issue is How Do These Guys Stay In school?
I think I know how that works for most of the top programs!

be held to a higher standard than the other " dopes" who play college basketball?
The larger issue is How Do These Guys Stay In school?
I think I know how that works for most of the top programs!

Well when you are a ONE and done.....it is easy. You enroll in your required 12 credits in the fall semester. You somehow manage to pass those 12 credits, (4 classes) to stay eligible for the spring semester. In the Spring semester you enroll in 12 more credits, doesn't matter if you go to one single class and get all F's, you are gone to the NBA after that semester. That is how they stay eligible. They only have to maintain eligibility for one semester.

Yesterday Dookie Shill Dick Vitale tweeted this is "A GAME CHANGER BAYBEEE" for Duke. I tweeted him back with "It's Duke. How is this a gamechanger? They're Duke. His commitment doesn't change that.

What an ass. I hate these big ticket bandwagoners.

Yeah, they should be held to a higher standard. Like for instance they should only be allowed to recruit guys who can graduate high school in three years instead of four.

Wait a second....

Schools like Duke don't need to get involved with questionable academic or character guys . Schools like Pitt need too .

Schools like Duke don't need to get involved with questionable academic or character guys . Schools like Pitt need too .

But isn't it funny a school like Pitt will struggle and then be scrutinized for a kid like that, while a school like Duke will just get fawned over because they got another great talent.

Well this is one player that won't be graduating from Duke. Coach K you can scratch that academic integrity off your preaching sermon you like to give the basketball world.

Well this is one player that won't be graduating from Duke. Coach K you can scratch that academic integrity off your preaching sermon you like to give the basketball world.

I have zero issues with Coach K. Frankly his job is to win basketball games. He USED to do that with graduating kids. He adjusted with the times and now gets plenty of one and done type kids. Again his job is to win big and in today's college basketball, the one and done type's play a huge rule is doing that. You need NBA talent/players to win come tourney time.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
ADVERTISEMENT