ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Izzy is opting out for the bowl

If you really think about it, there used to be a hand full of bowls and only the best teams were eligible. Now almost half the teams go to a bowl. The conference championships and the playoffs are the only games worth playing in.

If you really think about it, there used to be a hand full of bowls and only the best teams were eligible. Now almost half the teams go to a bowl. The conference championships and the playoffs are the only games worth playing in.

Unless you're going to the playoff, I see it as the conference championship being the Super Bowl and the bowl games being the Pro Bowl. It's not that I prefer it to be that way; but the players have spoken, and that's just how it is.

Reactions: Dan1911
Sorry if me reading between the lines didn’t match your literal interpretation of the post. But the past tense and tone of his tweet sound to me like a player making his epilogue to his time at Pitt.

Over the last two season he’s rushed for over 2,000 yards, caught the ball, returned kicks and scored 30 TDs. There might be kids that will improve their stock playing in a bowl but he isn’t one of them. He’ll likely be a second day pick whether he plays and scores 5 TDs or watches in sweats. No need to risk a Blake Corrum type injury.

Does the game count as a win or a loss after it’s played? YES

Does the win or loss affect the rankings at the end of the season? YES.

Then it is NOT a meaningless game.

HOWEVER, I don’t blame a kid if he chooses not to play, especially if he’s projected to be a high draft pick.

Pitt can still win the bowl game without Izzy or Kancey. Those are deep positions…

HOWEVER, I don’t blame a kid if he chooses not to play, especially if he’s projected to be a high draft pick.

Pitt can still win the bowl game without Izzy or Kancey. Those are deep positions…
Has Kancey said anything either way about playing? I saw he was on ACCPM and they asked him about the rest of the year. His answer sounded a little ambiguous but ultimately like he planned to play.

If they end up playing in NY with Izzy from Brooklyn, maybe he should consider playing the first series and get the greeting he deserves. Then he can relax and watch the Panthers kick some B1G tail into the sunset.
Yeah but Nick Patti played in the first series last year in the bowl game, and it did not work out too well.

Totally on board. Not a conference champion and not in the playoffs. It's an exhibition. Would love to see Hammond and the bowling ball from ND have great games running the ball.

Totally on board. Not a conference champion and not in the playoffs. It's an exhibition. Would love to see Hammond and the bowling ball from ND have great games running the ball.
If the game counts in the win and loss column and the game affects your ranking, then it’s NOT an exhibition game. As I said, being that it is not a championship game then I can’t blame a kid for sitting out.

I was excited when he committed to Pitt knowing they were getting a great athlete at the position and he worked his way to becoming one of the best running backs in college football. Izzy had a terrific season and really was the most fun player to watch on the team this year. I hope the right team drafts him because he can be an explosive player in the NFL.

Reactions: singregardless
Somebody doesn't understand the difference between meaningful and meaningless games.

Having a shot - regardless of how slim - at a national title is the very definition of meaningful.

The opportunity to move up a few slots in team rankings or put up a few more personal stats in a non-title game is meaningless to players aspiring to move on to pro careers, as much as that might disappoint fanboys.
I think that somebody is you.
If they are meaningless, stop counting them in W-L and stats.
Until then, they are meaningful.

Not surprising and frankly I’m 100% on board. Kid gave it all, dealt with injury, and had a hell of a memorable year. Nothing to prove by playing in the Pinstripe Bowl. It’s time for C’bo and Hammond to start competition for RB1 spot (or 1A / 1B since this is Duzz).
Noooooo we might lose the Pinstripe bowl if he does

I think that somebody is you.
If they are meaningless, stop counting them in W-L and stats.
Until then, they are meaningful.

I think you are confusing meaningful to you with meaningful to most other people.

What does it actually mean if Pitt ends up 9-4 or 8-5? Will the players all get a big bonus from their contracts? Will they all get better grades in their classes? Will the food at the training table be better? Will the team facilities see an expensive upgrade that they wouldn't otherwise get?

Most bowl games have NEVER been meaningful. The fact that men wearing ugly blazers were able to convince so many people for so long that they were doesn't mean that they actually were. It just means that people are easily fooled by someone wearing a plaid sports coat.

Reactions: NCPitt and Franb

There will be 2 or 3 teams going to bowls this year with 5-7 records. Talk about rewarding mediocrity, that is rewarding less than mediocrity.

I think you are confusing meaningful to you with meaningful to most other people.

What does it actually mean if Pitt ends up 9-4 or 8-5? Will the players all get a big bonus from their contracts? Will they all get better grades in their classes? Will the food at the training table be better? Will the team facilities see an expensive upgrade that they wouldn't otherwise get?

Most bowl games have NEVER been meaningful. The fact that men wearing ugly blazers were able to convince so many people for so long that they were doesn't mean that they actually were. It just means that people are easily fooled by someone wearing a plaid sports coat.
My favorite sales con is that fans should attend a bowl game to demonstrate that their team travels well, so they will be able to get a "better" bowl next time.

Reactions: singregardless

It is meaningless to kids who aspire to move on. Only fanboys care about things like rankings.

Yeah it’s not an exhibition of the win counts and affects your ranking. I guess that irked me last year where everyone was calling the Peach Bowl an exhibition. It wasn’t. I don’t fault KP for sitting it out but it’s same as any game during the year to me.

I think Izzy will be a productive RB in the NFL.
He's an excellent college back. Not the top back in the country as someone suggested above, but I'd say he's top 5-7.

This won't be a popular sentiment, but I don't see him transitioning well to the NFL because IMO he's not very physical, he's not good in pass pro, he doesn't run through contact, and he;s not going to run away from defenders at the NFL level.

He is very good receiver out of the backfield and that will help get him Sunday reps.

what’s your definition of a high draft pick?

He’s a very good college tailback, but he’s not a Day 1 guy. I’d guess no more than 2 RBs will go in the first round, and I don’t think Izzy will be one of them. RB is not a priority building block in the NFL anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT