ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale Both To Iowa

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Spencer Lee from Franklin Regional, who is the #1 ranked HS Junior wrestler in his weight class and the nation, and Gavin Teasdale, a sophomore, who is the top-ranked soph in the country, both committed to Iowa today. Neither has ever lost a match in HS.

I am a little surprised Lee isn't going to PSU. I'm not surprised neither is going to Pitt. This now makes Peters 0 for 8 in recruiting WPIAL wrestlers who were ranked #1 nationally in their weight class over the past three years.

Spencer Lee from Franklin Regional, who is the #1 ranked HS Junior wrestler in his weight class and the nation, and Gavin Teasdale, a sophomore, who is the top-ranked soph in the country, both committed to Iowa today. Neither has ever lost a match in HS.

I am a little surprised Lee isn't going to PSU. I'm not surprised neither is going to Pitt. This now makes Peters 0 for 8 in recruiting WPIAL wrestlers who were ranked #1 nationally in their weight class over the past three years.

412 -- Pitt was not even in the conversation for 7 of the 8 you are referring to. My guess is that Pitt would not have made the top 15 schools being considered by either Lee or Teasdale.

Is that supposed to be an excuse for Peters?

To me that is damning, if true: that Pitt wasn't in the top 15 of any except, I assume, Pletcher. When your coach can't get kids to even consider the local school (and when one of those kids has a cousin on the coaching staff), it seems to me that you clearly need a new coach to infuse life into what has become a dormant program

Is that supposed to be an excuse for Peters?

To me that is damning, if true: that Pitt wasn't in the top 15 of any except, I assume, Pletcher. When your coach can't get kids to even consider the local school (and when one of those kids has a cousin on the coaching staff), it seems to me that you clearly need a new coach to infuse life into what has become a dormant program

412 - No excuses here. Unfortunately the Pitt program isn't even considered as a credible option by the top local kids. Major changes and time are needed to change this.

Other than Pletcher, I can think of only one of the other seven that showed moderate interest and his father played football for Pitt in the 80's.

Gee, I thought they would be begging to go to Pitt.

Just like every other sport, if you can't recruit, eventually it catches-up to you.

And what's sad is that geographically, it should be easy to find talent in Western PA. But this coaching staff is giving the impression that they couldn't find sand on a beach.

Reactions: papride1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT