Spending your stimulus check on ?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Pitt20-20, Mar 26, 2020 at 7:58 PM.

1. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

Pitt Football tickets for 2021 ?

2. Pitt_Boss

Pitt_Boss Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

That stimulus check is not putting "money in the hands of every American" as promised. Only those that make less than $75k per year. Upper middle class get screwed again. Business owners getting bailouts and cheap loans, rich getting tax credits, and middle/lower classes getting cash (checks). Upper middle class just gets to finance it for everyone else...

3. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

Well I feel your pain but 1,200 wont help me much either. Its a drop in the bucket , except for those that make under like 25k.
    It will help the economy tho.

4. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Yup! We are getting screwed as well. The real kicker is we would have gotten a little if they used our 2018 return. We were responsible and filed early, and are going to get punished because we are now over 198k in 2019.

5. bayardstreet

bayardstreet Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I am retired so i don’t get squat.

6. Parkview57

Parkview57 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

President Biden will more than make up for it, he will certainly take care of the suburbanites who will put him into office, no?

7. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

you will be fine then , 1.2k when you already have over 198 k will not make that much difference for you as it would someone that has peanuts.

8. mike412

mike412 All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m not getting a check and I’m not unhappy about it. Especially being retired, I feel fortunate that my adjusted gross income is high enough to be above the $75,000 ceiling. I think that complaining that you make too much to qualify for a payment is the ultimate personification of social blindness. The money in that part of the bill is going to the people who need it the most, which is as it should be.

My anger is over the parts of the bill that give millions—even billions — to businesses that deserve scorn, not help. I guess it was too much to expect that even on a direly needed relief bill like this one, Congress would close its ears (and wallets) to the corporate lobbyists. Instead, their handiwork is all over this bill. It’s not quite as bad as the Republican tax giveaway bill of 2017, where provisions were added to the bill in handwriting by lobbyists as the bill was being debated, but it’s plenty bad.

Case in point: A minimum of $17 Billion to Boeing. Boeing is not in financial trouble because of the virus. To the extent that it is in trouble, it is because it designed a dangerous passenger plane, falsified test results to get it approved, saw it involved in a number of crashes, and now faces several multimillion dollar lawsuits. It deserves them. It shouldn’t be bailed out; it’s management should be purged and held personally liable for damages in those lawsuits. What should be the punishment for knowingly selling an unsafe jet when it crashes and kills people? I would argue criminal manslaughter charges and civil bankruptcy for its executives, not a government bailout and continued weekends at the country club.

9. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I have worked hard to get to where we are. This is the first time we are over 198k. What if one of us or both lose our jobs within a month?

lilspainishflea likes this.
  10. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

No, this bill will for at least 4 months full pay plus.

11. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

The middle class always gets screwed. That was the point of the other poster and me. This is just another example.

What about the married couples in CA and NY that make 200k? That doesn’t go very far in those places.

lilspainishflea and Parkview57 like this.
  12. Parkview57

Parkview57 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Let's hope that does not happen. Now, Biden has a simple answer, it is "Get retrained", this is what he told the coal miners and all the businesses that depend on mining in western pa like machine shops, etc. It is one of the reason HRC lost PA. The democrat party has abandoned the working class in favor of--- you name it but it ain't YOU.

Farnox likes this.
  13. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

This is an epidemic that has the potential to kill millions and the ones that have money and education can fend for themselves and protect themselves, the poorer people may not be able to provide space and utilities ........Its a Human issue, not MIDDLE class issue .

14. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

If you dont provide for the poor, maybe they will infect you sir that makes over 200k , and then money wont mean anything then.

15. Parkview57

Parkview57 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

You are correct, too bad the Monies were not totally given to people, small business recovery, and unemployment compensation. Instead all this other BS.........

TheSpecialSauce likes this.
  16. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

How much can a person hoard ? And Unemployment compensation you can cross off.

17. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Are you unemployed? I would assume no based upon what you started this thread with. Which charity are you donating your check to since money doesn’t matter to you?

Why is the Kennedy Center getting a 25 million dollar gift within this stimulus program? How exactly is that going to spur the economy? Why didn’t they increase the amount, and give everyone in the lower and middle class some money rather than putting a good amount into “pork”?

PittPanthers90, pbrad and Parkview57 like this.
  18. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Do you think hard working middle class parents with kids are hoarding money? Tell me where the money tree is because we don’t have one.

19. Zeldas Open Roof

Zeldas Open Roof Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bathroom renovation. Ripping out my cheap tub to put in a stand up shower.

will go to local contractor which will funnel into local economy. I’m a true American. Although I’m sure the workers will be illegals and they will send their untaxed money out of the country so F me.

pittbb80 and Pitt20-20 like this.
  20. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

You are not thinking big picture, sorry you got left out this time, but Im sure God will repay you for your hard work.......to all those that wont get a 1,200 check that is not that much at all compared to saving human lives.

20 Pitt20-20, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 9:49 PM
  21. RaleighPittFan

Expand Collapse

I think our current situation is going to make a lot of people reevaluate their spending / investment / liquidity ratios of their take home pay.

I have relatives who make $50,000 or less and would have no problem riding out 6 months to a year without pay; and friends and neighbors who make many times more who might not make it 2 months.

22. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

The corrupt politicians shouldn’t have pinched the middle class. They spent billions on BS that has nothing to do with stimulating the economy.

FireballZ and Parkview57 like this.
  23. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

I am not here to agrue with you on money, this is absurd at a time like this .
    We have law makers that make the laws and they have done pretty well for 200 years, and there are systems in place to make sure NO ONE that is an AMERICAN will be LEFT OUT.

24. IamHeisenberg

IamHeisenberg Freshman
    Expand Collapse

198K is not upper middle class. That is upper 10% of all U.S. wage earners.

25. Sean Miller Fan

Sean Miller Fan Lair Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Nobody gets screwed like the upper middle class. No "stimulus" check for us either. Throw on the fact there's no SALT deduction or charitable contribution anymore and it REALLY sucks. Dems care about the poor. Republicans care about the uber-rich and we are forgotten.

I wouldn't have had a problem with it if it was marketed as hardship payments. I'd be cool with that. Luckily, we dont need it. But dont call it a "stimulus." Its not stimulating anything. Its replacing income and that's great. I'm glad most people will be getting it but its not a "stimulus." If they wanted to stimulate the economy, they would have sent it to everyone. I would have spent it on something major probably.

FWIW, I think literally everybody gets the kid payments. I read the bill and it doesn't really say we don't but it doesn't say we do either so I don't know. I emailed Pat Toomey's office to ask him but I doubt they will get back to me. They probably don't even know

TheSpecialSauce likes this.
  26. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I assume you still believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as well.

27. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

For a married couple filing jointly?

28. Parkview57

Parkview57 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Wrong, this ain't 1966

29. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

No respect for you.

30. TheSpecialSauce

TheSpecialSauce Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I have no respect for corrupt politicians. I cannot stand either political party.

pittmeister, pbrad and Parkview57 like this.
  31. Pitt20-20

Pitt20-20 Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

Then you should have said that ......
    Our country needs someone to break the divide.

32. Macchiato

Macchiato Scholarship
    Expand Collapse

I’m not getting a check. I make too much money.

paschuler1970 likes this.
  33. mike412

mike412 All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, I am half of a married couple who live in California. In fact, we live in Santa Monica, one of the most expensive areas in the state. Our Adjusted Gross Income in 2019 was significantly lower than $200,000 but too high for any relief under the bill. We are doing just fine without the help.

We have a housekeeper one day a week. Last week, we told her not to come in until further notice because we are concerned for her safety. She rides two crowded buses each way, potential virus breeding grounds. We are paying her not to work because it is the right thing to do. We gave her one month’s wages to take with her as a start. I cancelled a haircut appointment but paid the barber. My wife cancelled her hair and nails appointments but paid the stylist. Our cat was due for her once every three months grooming but the groomer was closed for the shutdown. We paid her anyway. (PayPal and Venmo are great in times like these.)

We aren’t saints by any means, but we believe in doing the right thing. They need the money much more than us. So do the people getting checks under this bill.

34. Dan1911

Dan1911 Scholarship
    Expand Collapse

It’s help for the working poor. Be grateful you’re not one of them. Think about someone else for a change.

35. YourPittDanceTeam

Expand Collapse

All I can say is WOW!! You claim that you and your wife made over 198K last year and yet, you are on here complaining about a check for 1,200.00 that you and your hard working wife will not qualify for. Do you realize how bad that makes you look?
    There are people, right now, on the "frontline" of this global epidemic, some of whom are making a 1/10 of what you and your wife made last year. These people deserve this stimulus check and so much more. Wow.

36. 4Mark_Marty

4Mark_Marty Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Then your savings and unemployment checks should get you through these tough times. If you practice spending below your means, you’ll be fine. Really. Do you think getting this $1200 or not is gonna make or break anyone?

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  37. CJsE

CJsE Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

Households over $200k per year make up 5.67% of the population or around 6.7 million households out of 110+ million. That's not upper-middle class.

Ski11585 likes this.
  38. 4Mark_Marty

4Mark_Marty Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Three things.

1. The only constant is this universe IS
    change.

2. Security is an illusion.

3. Our political leaders do not care about us.

On to your point about the mining jobs. I’ll quote the late, great Sam Kinnison. “LIVE WHERE THE FOOD IS!!!!”

There were thousands of UNFILLED, good paying, and safety focused machinist, labor, construction, machinery operation, truck driving and mechanic jobs available before March 1, 2020 in PA. I work selling to businesses all over the northeast and WV that require those workers and the main problem all the owners had was finding quality, hard working staff to show up drug free and do their job. Everyone I call on had several openings.

Personally, as the sole breadwinner of a family of five, I’ve worked in sales, business development, and owned two businesses of varying degrees of success. I’ve worked in four industries. I’ve probably collected 4-6 weeks of unemployment in my 50 years on this earth. Every position I’ve held prepared me for the next one.

Our family survived mass layoffs due to the tech bubble, 9/11, the banking crisis and a business dissolution due the constant rise of the US dollar that severely impacted commodity pricing in the businesses I was fortunate enough to own. I employed several people over a 10 year period.

It wasn’t easy, but I adapted, trained myself and became successful at each stop. I’ve learned a lot and have met a lot of great people along the way.

Nobody bailed us out nor did they really care. There was no pity on us nor did we expect it. Our family’s financial welfare is not that important in the grand scheme of things, except of course to my wife and three girls.

The main thing is this. We do what we can to help others in need, and I’m fortunate enough to have a wonderful wife that supports me 100 %, and manages our income and spending so that We can weather a crisis for 9-12 months.

Most of all, We have three healthy daughters, for which we’re most grateful.

wbrpanther, Parkview57 and mike412 like this.
  39. pittiswhereiamfrom2

Expand Collapse

You aren’t saints? Don’t sell yourself short.

lilspainishflea likes this.
  40. 4Mark_Marty

4Mark_Marty Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Self pity and poor me is not a good look.

I can switch positions with a friend of mine, a 30 year old single mother that came from a broken home and uneducated parents that didn’t stress secondary education, while raising a kid on a waitress income and working toward a nursing degree.

Or feel grateful for what I have.

I’ll choose the latter.

People need help.