ADVERTISEMENT

SportsIllustrated ‘desirability’ rankings for every P5 school

A merger of sort makes sense, but why would the ACC invite: Kansas, Houston, TCU, & Cincy? All of them are near the bottom of viewership. Why would a network pay big dollars to a school nobody watches? If I’m the ACC, I’m only interested in OkSt, WVU, Baylor and TCU….
Yea, I don't know. Had to hold my nose while I typed that. The Big 12 has some terrible markets but yet their fans think they will be doing the raiding

Reactions: pittmeister
Multi threatening DM’s??? What an idiot….

Anyway, you’ll get an answer, but it will be the worst possible outcome for Pitt & the ACC and it will be passed along as Gospel…. Could his doomsday scenario happen? Sure. But nobody know’s what will happen…
Wish I could remember that guys handle. He was nuts. I don't think he ever posted here. He would read something you wrote and send a DM. Was a while ago. I think the BWI guys even got tired of his act.

Based on what information? This is why I'm asking for an answer. If that scenario isn't plausible, give me the one that gives the Big12 all of the stability.

Based on basic logic? I don’t really want to type a bunch reasons why, if the ACC is raided, *only* Clemson and FSU will be targeted. There’s plenty of realignment articles laying out why that wouldn’t happen. If you haven’t been convinced, you won’t be convinced.

And the Big 12 left standing, even as non super conference nobody, is easy enough to lay out. The ACC gets raided of its value. Nobody else from the Big XII does because they aren’t valuable enough, but valuable enough within the fanbases to still be a conference.

What’s left of the ACC will have no value to survive on its own. And what’s left of the PAC 12 won’t either.

Multi threatening DM’s??? What an idiot….

Anyway, you’ll get an answer, but it will be the worst possible outcome for Pitt & the ACC and it will be passed along as Gospel…. Could his doomsday scenario happen? Sure. But nobody know’s what will happen…

Your problem is you don’t actually believe there’s a future for Pitt without there being a future for the ACC. So you think anybody reasonably predicting the eventual end of the ACC, is taking a shot at Pitt. So you feel the need to ride in on your horse and save the day. But not everybody feels the same way you do about Pitt’s prospects outside of the ACC. So you can put the sword away.

Based on basic logic? I don’t really want to type a bunch reasons why, if the ACC is raided, *only* Clemson and FSU will be targeted. There’s plenty of realignment articles laying out why that wouldn’t happen. If you haven’t been convinced, you won’t be convinced.

And the Big 12 left standing, even as non super conference nobody, is easy enough to lay out. The ACC gets raided of its value. Nobody else from the Big XII does because they aren’t valuable enough, but valuable enough within the fanbases to still be a conference.

What’s left of the ACC will have no value to survive on its own. And what’s left of the PAC 12 won’t either.
I don't really care about the example as much as an explanation even though I struggle with how some of the schools that get constantly brought up move the needle in a super conference. But I'll accept that as a premise for your explanation.

Just so I'm following, you're saying that the Big12 is too devalued to be worth raiding but the ACC and Pac12 parts aren't strong enough to continue in any form, let alone raid the Big12? Who do you have left in that scenario that cannot hold things together enough to keep a conference together?

I don't really care about the example as much as an explanation even though I struggle with how some of the schools that get constantly brought up move the needle in a super conference. But I'll accept that as a premise for your explanation.

Just so I'm following, you're saying that the Big12 is too devalued to be worth raiding but the ACC and Pac12 parts aren't strong enough to continue in any form, let alone raid the Big12? Who do you have left in that scenario that cannot hold things together enough to keep a conference together?

I think you end up with like Wake, Duke, Syracuse, BC, maybe one of the VA schools, and a few others.

Everybody else is gone to SEC/Big Ten.

The PAC 12 could survive and be the one that raids Big 12 if Orego-UW stay, but I don’t see that as likely. And what would be left in the PAC 12 wouldn’t be worth much.

The Big 12 doesn’t have a ton of value either with what’s left. But you do have some Texas schools with a pretty big Texas following. They would be in a better spot than the misfits left in the other conferences. So would be in a better spot to raid them than the other way around.

If you're going this route, the ACC should merge with the PAC 12 to allow for a renegotiation of their contract while putting these two conferences together.

Have the championship game in the Rose Bowl?

If you're going this route, the ACC should merge with the PAC 12 to allow for a renegotiation of their contract while putting these two conferences together.

Have the championship game in the Rose Bowl?
Anything is possible….

Let me guess what Cashisking884 predicted without looking at his posts…. The ACC will be picked apart and Pitt will still have a future…..in the MAC…. Am I close?

Wouldn't the excess cost of production tend to be a drag on the payout as much as anything?
Everything has gone up. Sure, it costs more for the networks to do the games but they can charge more for commercials now. We are seeing inflation we haven't seen in 40 years. Doing a TV deal in 2022 is going to get you significantly more than in 2012. The ACC, on the open market, would be worth a ton right now. But they're getting 2005 prices and then a few million more every time they add a team and add a network. They never went to market.

Reactions: cashisking884
Yea, I don't know. Had to hold my nose while I typed that. The Big 12 has some terrible markets but yet their fans think they will be doing the raiding
Again, the reason why the speculation is leading to the Big 12 and then the Pac 12, is because the Big 12's GOR and TV deal ends in 2025 and the Pac 12 2026. So they have to do something fairly soon. So they are going to be much more motivated than the other conferences.

The Big 12 is probably best suited to survive as a non-super conference of the three conferences. But that’s not much of a consolation prize.
The only reason why the big 12 might survive and the others won't is because they don't have any teams left that anybody wants. They are clearly the worst of the 5 conferences and really it's not close. If the sec and b12 do not expand further for a few years the big 12 is likely to be in bad shape. There only hope is the other two pick off another 4 to 6 teams from the acc and PAC and they are left to pick up the scraps

The only reason why the big 12 might survive and the others won't is because they don't have any teams left that anybody wants. They are clearly the worst of the 5 conferences and really it's not close. If the sec and b12 do not expand further for a few years the big 12 is likely to be in bad shape. There only hope is the other two pick off another 4 to 6 teams from the acc and PAC and they are left to pick up the scraps

Which is exactly what I said, and what I think is the most likely scenario.

The left over Big 12 teams will at least be worth more to their fans and local market than the left over Pac 12 and ACC teams. So they will be in a better spot to pick the tallest losers from the other conferences and form the ultimate loser conference.

I think you end up with like Wake, Duke, Syracuse, BC, maybe one of the VA schools, and a few others.

Everybody else is gone to SEC/Big Ten.

The PAC 12 could survive and be the one that raids Big 12 if Orego-UW stay, but I don’t see that as likely. And what would be left in the PAC 12 wouldn’t be worth much.

The Big 12 doesn’t have a ton of value either with what’s left. But you do have some Texas schools with a pretty big Texas following. They would be in a better spot than the misfits left in the other conferences. So would be in a better spot to raid them than the other way around.
Okay. I didn't realize you were assuming the ACC was breaking up in what sounds like some sort of TV brokered deal. I can follow the logic from that perspective.

I attended the Pitt at Miami game in 2016 and they listed the attendance as 51,796. There is absolutely no way that is accurate.
I was at that game too. I remember thinking that the attendance was maybe a little more than half of the announced number. As a previous poster said, it seems like many schools inflate the announced attendance...but that one was re-goddamn-diculous.

EDIT: My bad. I was at the 2014 game. My statement stands though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT