DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Here are his words ...
I am honored.
I am excited.
I am ready to go.

** On April 1, Head Coach Jeff Capel started his tenure atop the Panther Basketball Program with brilliant piece of PR – these words on a full page ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

** At that moment, Pitt Basketball needed any good PR it could get, and Coach Capel’s words in the ad were nothing short of spot on for the short run.

** No fewer than three friends tore off this newspaper page and gave it to me, because it impressed them, and they knew what it could mean to me as a saddened Pitt Hoops fanatic.

** But PR is just that – PR – until it can be backed up with realities that can make it true.

** Just 24 days later, HCJC proved his PG ad wasn’t just PR – as he in fact proved he was ready to go. On that day he signed one of three fine freshmen who would help him with his harrowing charge of resurrecting a one proud program from the rubble.

** A little over 7 months later, that same program just showed its first real evidence that it is ready to go.

** There is one and only one MVP from this delicious win against top A-10 foe St. Louis today. That MVP is Head Coach Jeff Capel.

** We can point to the way his team played today following his guidance. And that mattered of course.

** But the Panthers were victorious today because Capel spent the next month following his headlines by working on the task of improving his team.

** Twenty eight days after his ad, he received a another commitment from a nice looking prospect from Arlington, Virginia.

** Count me among the many who were pleased by this prospect, but who were not completely blown away. A good player in time perhaps?

** Now feel free to count me among the many who are now wondering where Xavier Johnson could end up among the Panther greats. A really good player now for sure!

** I’ll always be one who resists the hype … one who wants to see how players in sports show over the long run. And there’s plenty of long run that needs to be played out for the X-man before we should rightfully speak of his name among the greats whose numbers hang from the rafters at the Peterson Events Center.

** But seriously, I can’t imagine Xavier could be doing anything more to make a believer out of anyone. I’m past the point where I think it should be said we should wait to see what he can do against ACC completion. He's legit. Let’s already put him on that All-ACC frosh team next some of those Duke players.

** 17 points in the game’s final 17 minutes? Xavier Johnson is ready to go.

** In those first few weeks after that PG ad, Coach Capel also added a modest 5th year transfer named Sidy.

** This helpful piece proved to be the other difference maker in this victory, and more evidence that HCJC was indeed “ready to go.”

** For those who may not have seen Sidy's high flying slam, this too was evidence these Panthers are ready to go.

** So I’ll step back for a moment for perspective. While this was a nice win, it was indeed only one win against a decent team, who was actually missing their leading scorer for the first half.

** Still, it had the feel of game that proves the Panthers are more ready to go, more than to simply take their place among the bottom of the ACC.

** For each of their first six games, for a team with so many new and young players, they have proven to be remarkably consistent and resilient.

** There hasn’t been a moment during this early season when they have been sunken by stretches of ineptitude. I’ll confess that I’ve worried that there have been moments during each of our first six games when I’ve readied myself for the killer run opponent run that ultimately never comes.

** During parts of today’s second half, it was easy to feel (and to know) that that the Bilikens were the much stronger team in the paint, and that would be the Panther’s undoing.

** But with every muscle flexed by St. Louis, the Panthers had a punch of their own.

** Our relentless offensive penetration game is now proving to be formidable.

** This seems like a pretty elementary point, but I love the fundamentals of our guards and how they use the glass to score off penetration.

** This isn’t to say the Panthers were perfect. Far from it actually. We are still woefully undermanned in the post and I don’t believe there is much more we can get from Kene and Terrell this season. We are going to play many teams with much better and stronger frontcourts than St. Louis. It might be ugly at times.

** And when trying to be a leader, Malik Ellison more often than not hurt his team by taking shots he likely should not have.

** Yet, singling out any one Panther for their pluses or minus probably misses the point of this contest. This was a team win, from a team showing they just might have a little more to say about this season than simply being better than the squad before them who failed to win a conference game.

** I was impressed with a better press that produced turnovers, while only turning it over 9 times. I’m wondering just how much more this will improve as the season goes on.

** I know I loved Jeff Capel’s ad on April 1. I said to myself that day that it made me optimistic that someday in the next few years I’d be really excited about Pitt Basketball again.

** Tonight I’m already optimistic about Pitt Basketball again. Goals such as the NIT, which even seemed a year or two away at best, can now even be viewed on the shorter term horizon.

** With Head Coach Jeff Capel, I am honored to write “dribbles” again. I am excited about Pitt Basketball again. Without a doubt, along with the rest of the Pitt Hoops fan world, I am really ready to go.

These young guards and wings reflect the tenacity and intensity of their coaches-
Which is a totally an awesome and welcome infusion of energy into this fan base.

We’re flawed- but our upside seems limitless right now with this young core.

We’re a quality big away from being a ncaa team .
2 quality bigs from being a force

DT, love the optimism. I know you are not swayed easily, but these young kids and their coach have taken the arrow which was pointed to the absolute bottom, and already spun it in the other diection. It is fun to be a Pitt hoops fan again, and looking forward to the reinstatement of 2018-2019 "dribbles".

I am honored.
I am excited.
I am ready to go.

** On April 1, Head Coach Jeff Capel started his tenure and atop the Panther Basketball Program with brilliant piece of PR – these words on a full page ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

** At that moment, Pitt Basketball needed any good PR it could get, and Coach Capel’s words in the ad were nothing short spot on for the short run.

** No fewer than three friends tore off this newspaper page and gave it to me, because it impressed them, and they knew what it could mean to me as a saddened Pitt Hoops fanatic.

** But PR is just that – PR – until it can be backed up with realities that can make it true.

** Just 24 days later, HCJC proved his PG ad wasn’t just PR – as he in fact proved he was ready to go. On that day he signed one of three fine freshmen who would help him with his harrowing charge of resurrecting a one proud program from the rubble.

** A little over 7 months later, that same program just showed its first real evidence that it is ready to go.

** There is one and only one MVP from this delicious win against top A-10 foe St. Louis today. That MVP is Head Coach Jeff Capel.

** We can point to the way his team played today following his guidance. And that mattered of course.

** But the Panthers were victorious today because Capel spent the next month following his headlines by working on the task of improving his team.

** Twenty Eight days after his ad, he received a another commitment from a nice looking prospect from Arlington, Virginia.

** Count me among the many who were pleased by this prospect, but who were not completely blown away. A good player in time perhaps?

** Now feel to count me among the many who are now wondering where Xavier Johnson could end up among the Panther greats. A really good player now for sure!

** I’ll always be one who resists the hype … one who wants to see how players in sports show over the long run. And there’s plenty of long run that needs to be played out for the X-man before we should rightfully speak of his name among the greats whose numbers hang from the rafters at the Peterson Events Center.

** But seriously, I can’t imagine Xavier could be doing one thing more to make a believer out of anyone. I’m past the point where I think it should be said we should wait to see what he can do against ACC completion. He's legit. But him on that All-ACC frosh team next some of those Duke players.

** In those first few weeks after that PG ad, Coach Capel also added a modest 5th year transfer named Sidy.

** This helpful piece proved to be the other difference maker in this victory, and more evidence that HCJC was indeed “ready to go.”

** For those who may not have seen Sidy's high flying slam, this too was evidence these Panthers are ready to go.

** So I’ll step back for a moment for perspective. While this was a nice win, it was indeed only one win against a decent team, who was actually missing their leading scorer for the first half.

** Still, it had the feel of game that proves the Panthers are more ready to go, more than to simply take their place among the bottom of the ACC.

** For each of their first six games, for a team with so many new and young players, they have proven to be remarkably consistent and resilient.

** There hasn’t been a moment during this early season when they have been sunken by stretches of ineptitude. I’ll confess that I’ve worried that there have been moments during each of our first six games when I’ve readied myself for the killer run opponent run that ultimately never comes.

** During parts of today’s second half, it was easy to feel (and to know) that that the Bilikens were the much stronger team in the paint, and that would be the Panther’s undoing.

** But with every muscle flexed by St. Louis, the Panthers had a punch of their own.

** This seems like a pretty elementary point, but I love the fundamentals of our guards and how they use the glass to score off penetration.

** This isn’t to say the Panthers were perfect. Far from it actually. We are still woefully undermanned in the post and I don’t believe there is much more we can get from Kene and Terrell this season. We are going to play many better teams than St. Louis.

** And when trying to be a leader, Malik Ellison more often than not hurt his team by taking shots he likely should not have.

** Yet, singling out any one Panther for their pluses or minus probably misses the point of this contest. This was a team win, from a team showing they just might have a little more to say about this season than simply being better than the squad before them who failed to win a conference game.

** I was impressed with a better press that produced turnovers, while only turning it over 9 times. I’m wondering just how much more this will improve as the season goes on.

** I know I loved Jeff Capel’s ad on April 1. I said to myself that day that it made me optimistic that someday in the next few years I’d be really excited about Pitt Basketball again.

** Tonight I’m already optimistic about Pitt Basketball again. Goals such as the NIT, which even seemed a year or two away at best, can now even be viewed on the shorter term horizon.

** With Head Coach Jeff Capel, I am honored to write “dribbles” again. I am excited about Pitt Basketball again. Without a doubt, along with the rest of the Pitt Hoops fan world, I am really ready to go.

150917_bravo_hands-01-f.jpg

DT, love the optimism. I know you are not swayed easily, but these young kids and their coach have taken the arrow which was pointed to the absolute bottom, and already spun it in the other diection. It is fun to be a Pitt hoops fan again, and looking forward to the reinstatement of 2018-2019 "dribbles".

I'm completely shocked with Xavier. Trey and Toney will be good, but they look like "good freshmen" (who have their ups and downs.) Xavier is just plan old really good now!

He’ll have a down turn (maybe, probably).
But man oh man.

He’s got the Krauser swagger - but longer and with more bounce.

There will be some games where he struggles for moments. He even did some at times today. Or some good where he isn't "very good." But isn't this true of every good player?

I'm really impressed. If he can become an above average deep shooter, then we could easily to thinking All-American.

He reminds me of Kyle Lowry at the same point in their careers, and he's already a better shooter than Lowry was as a freshman.

Reactions: Ski11585
Some games where he struggles for moments. He even did some at times today. Or some good where he isn't "very good." But isn't this true of every good player?

I'm really impressed. If he can become an above average deep shooter, then we could easily to thinking All-American.

He reminds me of Kyle Lowry at the same point in their careers, and he's already a better shooter than Lowry was as a freshman.
Lowry is a better comparison-
Just trying to keep it Pitt centric.
He’s got that dog in him.
(My favorite reference)

Isn’t it fun to be excited by the players and staff again?

I am honored.
I am excited.
I am ready to go.

** On April 1, Head Coach Jeff Capel started his tenure and atop the Panther Basketball Program with brilliant piece of PR – these words on a full page ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

** At that moment, Pitt Basketball needed any good PR it could get, and Coach Capel’s words in the ad were nothing short spot on for the short run.

** Twenty Eight days after his ad, he received a another commitment from a nice looking prospect from Arlington, Virginia.

** Now feel free to count me among the many who are now wondering where Xavier Johnson could end up among the Panther greats. A really good player now for sure!

** But seriously, I can’t imagine Xavier could be doing one thing more to make a believer out of anyone. I’m past the point where I think it should be said we should wait to see what he can do against ACC completion. He's legit. But him on that All-ACC frosh team next some of those Duke players.

** This isn’t to say the Panthers were perfect. Far from it actually. We are still woefully undermanned in the post and I don’t believe there is much more we can get from Kene and Terrell this season. We are going to play many teams with much better and stronger frontcourts than St. Louis. It might be ugly at times.

What a well written piece. My chest swelled with pride while reading it. Bravo my friend. Bravo.

I thought this might be a little too "fanboy" for you. ;)

No.....I am hooked and happy too. I mean, Xavier Johnson, come on, wow.... He is fantastic. I am not one prone to hyperbole, but I also am someone who has seen Fitz, seen Mario, Sid, Jagr, seen Ben, etc......and you see the talent. He was going against men today and just blowing by them.

I am honored.
I am excited.
I am ready to go.

** On April 1, Head Coach Jeff Capel started his tenure atop the Panther Basketball Program with brilliant piece of PR – these words on a full page ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

** But seriously, I can’t imagine Xavier could be doing one thing more to make a believer out of anyone. I’m past the point where I think it should be said we should wait to see what he can do against ACC completion. He's legit. But let's already put him on that All-ACC frosh team next some of those Duke players.

Thanks for the Dribbles. I am fully back on board and have been since the VMI game. I am almost always a glass half full guy any way, but I really believe this team can make some waves this year. I was pretty confident we'd win today and we came through. This team is easily going to win some games in the ACC and will be competitive in most. I'm not predicting anything like the NCAA tourney, but it isn't completely out of the question.

Thanks for the Dribbles. I am fully back on board and have been since the VMI game. I am almost always a glass half full guy any way, but I really believe this team can make some waves this year. I was pretty confident we'd win today and we came through. This team is easily going to win some games in the ACC and will be competitive in most. I'm not predicting anything like the NCAA tourney, but it isn't completely out of the question.

Here's a question ...

Let's say Tramaine Isabell plays the first half too instead of just the second. I wonder how we all feel if he scores 6 in the first half to end up with his average of 14, and we lose by 4 in the end.

I'm not sure I feel differently either way, but I'm sure there would be a different vibe on the board with a 4 point loss instead of a 2 point win.

I'm not sure either result would say anything different about our team either way, but like I said, the vibe sure would be different.

Here's a question ...

Let's say Tramaine Isabell plays the first half too instead of just the second. I wonder how we all feel if he scores 6 in the first half to end up with his average of 14, and we lose by 4 in the end.

I'm not sure I feel differently either way, but I'm sure there would be a different vibe on the board with a 4 point loss instead of a 2 point win.

I'm not sure either result would say anything different about our team either way, but like I said, the vibe sure would be different.
Don't think it mattered at all. Isabell was only 3-8 and scored 8. If he does score 6 in the first half, it is probably at the expense of Goodwin who only averages 8, but had 13 in the first half. Goodwin had next to nothing in the 2nd half because Isabell shot 8 times. Goodwin was much more efficient and gave us fits in the first half.

Reactions: Ski11585
Don't think it mattered at all. Isabell was only 3-8 and scored 8. If he does score 6 in the first half, it is probably at the expense of Goodwin who only averages 8, but had 13 in the first half. Goodwin had next to nothing in the 2nd half because Isabell shot 8 times. Goodwin was much more efficient and gave us fits in the first half.

Don't disagree. But my question was a bit different. If we lose by two instead of win by two, I wonder how the vibe would be. But in the context of Pitt Hoops at the moment, either result would likely mean about the same.

the vibe ?
Capel makes his own vibes.

by good Coaching.

None of us know the capabilities of Capel, so lets just enjoy the ride...

Last edited:
Don't disagree. But my question was a bit different. If we lose by two instead of win by two, I wonder how the vibe would be. But in the context of Pitt Hoops at the moment, either result would likely mean about the same.
I don't think the vibe would be any different for me, but I'm sure it would be for some. There are still many who are tempering their expectations, and I am fine with that. However, I do feel some are still selling this team short. This team does have its shortcomings, but it also has a lot going for it. NCAA is still a serious long shot, but it isn't out of the question. Once again, the NCAA field is really not too strong and their will be tons of teams on the bubble. Who knows, we may just get ourselves very close to that bubble by mid to late Feb.

I don't think the vibe would be any different for me, but I'm sure it would be for some. There are still many who are tempering their expectations, and I am fine with that. However, I do feel some are still selling this team short. This team does have its shortcomings, but it also has a lot going for it. NCAA is still a serious long shot, but it isn't out of the question. Once again, the NCAA field is really not too strong and their will be tons of teams on the bubble. Who knows, we may just get ourselves very close to that bubble by mid to late Feb.

this guy seems like a great fan... but pick a side/

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Here's a question ...

That's true DT, but JWF and McGowens combined for 13 points, so if either had a more productive day that would have mitigated Isabell's impact a bit too, wouldn't it? So I call a glass half full wash! :)

That's true DT, but JWF and McGowens combined for 13 points, so if either had a more productive day that would have mitigated Isabell's impact a bit too, wouldn't it? So I call a glass half full wash! :)

My point was more along the lines of had we lost by two instead on winning by two, how would we be feeling now? I was suggesting that either outcome would really say nearly the same thing about were our Panthers are in their progression.

DT, I usually agree with most things you say, however, I disagree with this.

There is a big difference between a win and a loss, no matter the amount of points.
It is very important to learn how to win in basketball or in life. Last year's team always found a way to lose, which is what losers do.

My point was more along the lines of had we lost by two instead on winning by two, how would we be feeling now? I was suggesting that either outcome would really say nearly the same thing about were our Panthers are in their progression.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
DT, I usually agree with most things you say, however, I disagree with this.

There is a big difference between a win and a loss, no matter the amount of points.
It is very important to learn how to win in basketball or in life. Last year's team always found a way to lose, which is what losers do.

Understood. Perhaps my thought isn't as true in this situation.

There will be some games where he struggles for moments. He even did some at times today. Or some good where he isn't "very good." But isn't this true of every good player?

I like that comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT