ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
If we were to get the former interim coach at UConn and Mike Rice as assistants, I would not even care about who the 3rd assistant was.

Those would be two good coaches. Then go with a young guy or maybe keep Sutton.
Raphael Chillious is the UConn coach let go with Ollie by the way.

Chillious would be outstanding. I don't want to get too excited about a rumor, but he's an outrageously good recruiter. He has high school, prep school and international connections. He was a big part of Washington punching far above their weight in terms of recruiting. As positively as I feel about Mike Rice, Chillious would be an even better hire. If we can get both of them, we're in business.

You can’t choose your assistants based on short term personell. You chose them based on building for the long term.

Stated with the wisdom of the most knowledgeable sage Sir wbrpanther. Thou makes a glorious point indeed good sir!

A wise king doth choose his minions in the same manner as when he chooseth a blacksmith to forge weaponry for his blood thirsty legions. He doth not wish to only win a single battle - he doth wish to win the war! Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho!

Yeah, I think it is pretty clear Capel decided Golden wasn't worth it for Pitt. I don't blame him. Golden had an incredibly low ceiling.

That was a mistake. I like Golden's potential. Given the roster, he should have tried to get Him to campus and see what he can do. Golden has some decent offers.

Chillious would be outstanding. I don't want to get too excited about a rumor, but he's an outrageously good recruiter. He has high school, prep school and international connections. He was a big part of Washington punching far above their weight in terms of recruiting. As positively as I feel about Mike Rice, Chillious would be an even better hire. If we can get both of them, we're in business.
I agree that Chillious would be a tremendous hire. I would imagine his brother, Jason, will also get some consideration. He played at UNC and then overseas, was the head coach at App St for a few years.

Some mix of Jason Capel, Sutton, Chillous, Rice + a savvy veteran (this might be Jason C?) or well thought of up and comer (Sutton?). 3 rd might have to on the cheap if you get two like Cape/Rice or Chillous/Rice or Capel/Chillous. Would Sutton come cheap?

I am assuming Knight thing is done. I would like him here but not adamant by any means.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Yeah, I think it is pretty clear Capel decided Golden wasn't worth it for Pitt. I don't blame him. Golden had an incredibly low ceiling.

Maybe so. However, I don't think it is clear (unless there is better info on the pay board by someone with true insider info) whether Capel decided not to try and keep Golden; or, whether Golden decided not to stay with Pitt. We may never know the truth, IMHO.

It is probably easier to guess at why Kingsby might not be kept given his JUCO suspension. It is easier to speculate that Capel may not want a possible disciplinary problem--given his presser remarks about the kinds of kids he wants on his team.

[Note: Is Kingsby really gone? A poster on here has said so but both Rivals and 24/7 still list him as a Pitt commit (whereas they don't list Golden). See links below.]

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/commitments/basketball/2018
https://247sports.com/college/pittsburgh/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

Last edited:
Any combination of David Grace, Mike Rice, Raphael Chillious or a Jason Capel would throttle the recruiting efforts to Pitt.

Some mix of Jason Capel, Sutton, Chillous, Rice + a savvy veteran (this might be Jason C?) or well thought of up and comer (Sutton?). 3 rd might have to on the cheap if you get two like Cape/Rice or Chillous/Rice or Capel/Chillous. Would Sutton come cheap?

I am assuming Knight thing is done. I would like him here but not adamant by any means.

I guess it’s fun throwing names out there and speculating ,but JC has been in bb all his life and I’m sure he knows the kind of guys he’d like on his staff . Why would he really want anyone with baggage like Rice or anyone from the previous staff ?

Rice is a great recruiter with head coaching experience. Without his baggage he's a head coach somewhere. Obviously, it's coach's call but he would be asset that comes under valued.

I guess it’s fun throwing names out there and speculating ,but JC has been in bb all his life and I’m sure he knows the kind of guys he’d like on his staff . Why would he really want anyone with baggage like Rice or anyone from the previous staff ?

That was a mistake. I like Golden's potential. Given the roster, he should have tried to get Him to campus and see what he can do. Golden has some decent offers.
Meh. He doesn't have much potential, but he has a very high floor, so I am surprised just because our roster is so bad. However, hopefully it means Capel thinks he can bring in much better talent and right away.

I generally agree with this comment. The only caveat I have; if he's anything like his brother, he might over-perform his high school ranking.

Meh. He doesn't have much potential, but he has a very high floor, so I am surprised just because our roster is so bad. However, hopefully it means Capel thinks he can bring in much better talent and right away.

Rice is a great recruiter with head coaching experience. Without his baggage he's a head coach somewhere. Obviously, it's coach's call but he would be asset that comes under valued.
Unfortunately it is what it is , I know I wouldn’t want to play for anyone that abusive and I sure wouldn’t want my child too either . Maybe he’s learned and is a better man , but I’d know if I was recruiting against him it might accidentally be mentioned .

I generally agree with this comment. The only caveat I have; if he's anything like his brother, he might over-perform his high school ranking.

The Goldens just seem like winners. His brother is overachieving after overcoming a lot of adversity. Bryce is 6-9. He has a good frame to bulk up more without losing mobility and can play with his back to the basket, which is becoming a lost art. If it's his decision to walk away, I'm fine with that. He has several really good offers. If Pitt told him to look elsewhere, I would be disappointed.

Reactions: daytonpanther
The Goldens just seem like winners. His brother is overachieving after overcoming a lot of adversity. Bryce is 6-9. He has a good frame to bulk up more without losing mobility and can play with his back to the basket, which is becoming a lost art. If it's his decision to walk away, I'm fine with that. He has several really good offers. If Pitt told him to look elsewhere, I would be disappointed.

There is no way to spin this other than a recruiting opportunity lost. If Capel purposefully walked away from Golden he is an idiot.

There is no way to spin this other than a recruiting opportunity lost. If Capel purposefully walked away from Golden he is an idiot.
So with KS as coach everybody was saying how underwhelming Golden was now that JC is the coach he’s an idiot . Whose the better recruiter KS or JC ? Give the coach room to breath if he didn’t feel it for Golden or Golden decided he wanted to go elsewhere let’s wait and see who he does bring in before bitching .

So with KS as coach everybody was saying how underwhelming Golden was now that JC is the coach he’s an idiot . Whose the better recruiter KS or JC ? Give the coach room to breath if he didn’t feel it for Golden or Golden decided he wanted to go elsewhere let’s wait and see who he does bring in before bitching .

I'm not bitching. Not everyone, including me, was critical of Golden's recruitment. Given the state of the program, there is certainly room for him. And in case you aren't aware, it appears that he is favoring Syracuse. So I guess he is good enough for Boeheim and a few other high profile schools who offered, but not good enough for our dumpster fire.

BTW, I don't think Capel walked away (he is a good judge of talent), just that he wasn't able to persuade Golden to recommit. Again, an opportunity lost.

Why would everybody call him underwhelming? He had other good offers back then too.

Losing Golden is only an issue if they can't bring in someone better. Let's wait and see. I really liked Golden.

Golden is a nice player. High floor, which is why Butler, Syracuse, etc. want him. He'll contribute. I assume Capel is no moron and tried to keep him but he couldn't.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Why would everybody call him underwhelming? He had other good offers back then too.
Go back and read what people were saying about Golden and Kingsby and KS recruiting . I’m not making a judgement on the kids ability I just find it kind of funny on how all of a sudden he was a great recruit .

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack
These post season offers can be VERY misleading. OK, Boheim now wants Golden and for
that matter, Jay Wright wants Carr. If anyone believes that these players are anything
but post season "fillers," consider this. Why didn't Cuse and Nova recruit them when they
were coming out of h.s.? Why suddenly now and not back then? Bottom line, those schools
basically have their rosters and their rotations set. They can fit in, but where?....as starters?
I doubt it. Cam Johnson was a grad transfer who clearly was a player. Given his height, his outside shot making ability, he was a no brainer. Can Carr go to Nova and start?? Probably not, but he could be valuable off the bench there. Maybe in a few years progress to a
starting role. Golden is available and Boheim has a spot open, so he hits the decommit
list and sees him and offers. Is he a typical Cuse recruit? I say no.

Last edited:
Syracuse currently have two recruits for 2018. Jalen Carey, who's a very good prospect, and Buddy Boeheim who...isn't. Darius Bazley decommitting really hurt them and they may not have inroads with any other top prospects. Given the circumstances, it's easy to see why someone like Golden would hold appeal for them, but that doesn't mean he's some outstanding recruit that we're going to regret losing. Maybe we will, but Syracuse recruiting him doesn't mean what you might think.

Reactions: TreesHero
These post season offers can be VERY misleading. OK, Boheim now wants Golden and for
that matter, Jay Wright wants Carr. If anyone believes that these players are anything
but post season "fillers," consider this. Why didn't Cuse and Nova recruit them when they
were coming out of h.s.? Why suddenly now and not back then? Bottom line, those schools
basically have their rosters and their rotations set. They can fit it, but where?....as starters?
I doubt it. Cam Johnson was a grad transfer who clearly was a player. Given his height, his outside shot making ability, he was a no brainer. Can Carr go to Nova and start?? Probably not, but he could be valuable off the bench there. Maybe in a few years progress to a
starting role. Golden is available and Boheim has a spot open, so he hits the decommit
list and sees him and offers. Is he a typical Cuse recruit? I say no.
Seems like a lot of speculation on your part. Don’t understand the insane need to minimize or downplay whatever offers or interest these guys get from other schools.

Reactions: gary2
Go back and read what people were saying about Golden and Kingsby and KS recruiting . I’m not making a judgement on the kids ability I just find it kind funny on how all of a sudden he’s was a great recruit .

Man, ain't that the truth. Everyone wants to keep Carr, Stewart, and Brown and is disappointed we're losing Golden (and Stevenson and even Davis). It's amazing. When they were KS's guys, they sucked and he couldn't recruit. Now they're "our" guys, and they can all play suddenly. The mental gymnastics people do on these boards to justify their positions and flip-flopping is amazing.

PSA: I'm happy we have Capel. It's not about pining for KS, but wow how the perspective on these kids has changed since February.

Reactions: Saboteur and gary2
ADVERTISEMENT