Stallings buyout rumor

Discussion in 'Basketball Board' started by FrogmoreZeke, May 20, 2017.

1. FrogmoreZeke

Expand Collapse

Heard recently there is already a group of money bag alums who have approached Lyke with the money to buyout Stallings AFTER next year. My question is, why wait? Seems like there is nothing to be gained by having him coach for one more year due to how toxic he is. I understand this is not the best time to find another coach but the program has slipped so far already that at this point, the best we can do is an assistant from a P5 or maybe a head coach from somewhere like the MAC and I don't see that changing after another season with Stallings. So the source for this info is usually pretty reliable but I'm just not sure how accurate if they are waiting until after next year. Has anyone else heard this and if so, what do you think?

Matt Steinbrink likes this.
  2. Pittx9

Pittx9 All American
    Expand Collapse

If we stopped listening to over dramatic donors our athletics programs would've had much more stability the past couple decades. Huge improvement from the 90s, but their handling of coaches has never been good.

fkthomas, CaptainMurphy and JRPITT like this.
  3. DiehardPanther

DiehardPanther Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Are these the same people who nudged Dixon out the door, and then did not put enough $ into the pot to bring in a good coach?

Chaos, H2P28, PhPanther1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Parkview57

Parkview57 Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

Actually most "money bags alum" are very excited about the future under KS. They love the offensive wizardry he employs, the fact that the "kids" really look forward to playing in the offense and are actually having fun, the fortitude he has shown in getting rid of dead weight in the program, his intensity level and demand for high level of play as witnessed in his dressing down of players, his relentless pursuit of players that fit his "system", and the knowledge that he can get a player to the next level are all being seen as parts to take Pitt basketball to the next level.

5. ThatPittGuy

ThatPittGuy Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure of this is spin or sarcasm, but it's high quality in either case.

5 ThatPittGuy, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    PerchMan, Jeffburgh, h2p_5150 and 7 others like this.
  6. JRPITT

JRPITT Redshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We should wait until next season is over. Still want to see who else Stallings brings in and what he can do with "his" players. If the program is still trending down, then make a move. Many more options for quality coaches will be available.

7. JRPITT

JRPITT Redshirt
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Next level? We were at the next level and it wasn't good enough. Players having "fun" on offense while losing. I' d rather have it the opposite way.

Parkview57 likes this.
  8. Fsgolfdr

Fsgolfdr Senior
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget they then have to pony up the cash for the next coach too . Hiring a no name will further sink the program and to attract anyone who'd excite the masses will cost them much more than market value .
    You have to realize by now that Pitt just doesn't value winning athletics as much as the programs they're competing against . Expecting them to step up to the plate and swing for the fences just isn't in the cards .

8 Fsgolfdr, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  9. Elsalvador

Elsalvador Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If @Matt Steinbrink liked the OP's post, maybe there's some major rumblings and truth to this rumor.

10. R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n

Expand Collapse

He liked "I miss the old days" post as well about the negativity.

Who knows but KS could very well already be the hot seat.

PittPoker likes this.
  11. Gary77

Gary77 Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Post #1. Enough said.

Black_Man_Panther and Elsalvador like this.
  12. KiwiJeff

KiwiJeff Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

If only we HAD players....

13. rockypanther

rockypanther Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Funny:)

Parkview57 likes this.
  14. drp1tt

drp1tt All Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Please site the source if true. Otherwise it appears to be another attempt of a Stallings hate post. For me these unsubstantiated posts are really getting old whether about Pitt, Stallings, recruits.

15. pitt-girl

pitt-girl Athletic Director
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

While I think there may some truth to this, my guess is there is not enough money out there at this point from outside sources to accomplish this after the next season. It will take a decision from the Pitt administration to also free up some $$. With the combination, perhaps. I've been on the record that Stallings is coaching for his job this coming year.

16. King Of All Message Boards

Expand Collapse

I can't help but wonder if it was the same group that was overheard at Meat and Potatos discussing an on campus football stadium. Money to burn.

OP do you know ZetaZetaBeta?

16 King Of All Message Boards, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  17. PittPoker

PittPoker Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I know that was weird. When was the last post he liked from the free board? I didn't know he even read the free board. I thought it was a fake account until I clicked on it and it was him. Very bizarre.

R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n likes this.
  18. NTOP

NTOP Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That is ridiculous. Offensive wizardry my ass. Sure. losers like the 2 "stars" loved jacking up shots more than winning. Stallings is over the hill. I'm sure the same wealthy dickheads who convinved Barnes to shed Dixon ARE dumb enough to believe that nonsense. Hopefully, those jackals just go away and keep their money.

JRPITT and HailToPitt1985 like this.
  19. Joe the Panther Fan

Joe the Panther Fan Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Normally I'd say it's obviously the second one, but given the fact that some of the "money bag alums" are at least partly responsible for where we are today it may very well be the first one.

I mean if it is the first one that's pretty pathetic, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be true.

20. R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n

Expand Collapse

Ya I know odd!!

PittPoker likes this.
  21. DT_PITT

DT_PITT Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There is undoubtedly at least some truth to it. I know this. Stallings has had a rough start, and he hasn't made many friends. But even if there is some truth to it, that doesn't mean any kind of change is anywhere close.

22. R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n

Expand Collapse

Right just some pressure lol

23. eastcoasthoops

eastcoasthoops Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Pitt boosters have proven they don't have enough scratch to keep an offensive coordinator. However, all of the sudden big money is going to buyout the remaining 5 years on a contract and pay big dollars for a new coach.

Makes total sense.

Some of you guys deserve all of the trolling you get.

24. HailToPitt1985

HailToPitt1985 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

This has to be some pretty good sarcasm. Because none of the factors stated about Stallings are anything close to being accurate. KS is nothing but incompetent and blowing a lot of smoke. No substance at all.

Parkview57 likes this.
  25. HailToPitt1985

Expand Collapse

The "big money bag" alums have already proven how stupid and moronic they are with the Barnes/Dixon fiasco and how that was handled. I'd rather keep them away from the program for good. They have done more harm than good, and the harm they have perpetrated on the program is long-term.

26. pitt-girl

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You do understand the difference, right? There is ONE big reason Pitt did not increase their offer to Canada - it would have skewed the whole current salary structure for football coaches. You can't pay an OC over $1.5M (which is what it would have taken), but only pay your HC $.5M more. At no time did Pitt need or ask for any funds from donors.

I am skeptical that there would be enough money from any of the bigger boosters to pay out Stallings. I believe that they probably have offered some support, but if Stallings doesn't show progress during this season, the decision to fire him will be because the administration is willing to get "creative" with some of their athletic budget and other funds.

Like it or not, Stallings has not made many friends within the University. Although I have heard he can be quite charming one on one, the players voices were heard and as a group, they were NOT fans. Cam leaving grabbed everyone's attention.

27. HailToPitt1985

Expand Collapse

Charming people tend to blow a lot of smoke and be very disingenuous. Somehow, that seems to be a perfect description of Stallings. Cam is a smart kid and he knew better than to stick around.

28. pitt-girl

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have never met Stallings, maybe in real life he is a good man. I hope so.

29. recruitsreadtheseboards

recruitsreadtheseboards Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nice Zeke Gadson reference. Yeah, I trust the Pitt "big money donors", they can eff up a one car funeral. When was the last time they actually got something right?

Anyways....why wait? you have to wait. Why fire Stallings now? Too late. No candidates available at this point. I would hope this is a likely scenario. What if Stallins wins 25 games next year with a rag tag bunch though? Eh? Could happen. Could.........lol

30. DT_PITT

DT_PITT Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I KNOW that this is completely true.

31. Protes

Protes Senior
    Expand Collapse

Ted Bundy was supposedly pretty charming. But I digress.:p

32. HailToPitt1985

Expand Collapse

I hope so, too. But we can only go by what we see and hear without ever meeting him. And it's not good.

33. Fsgolfdr

Fsgolfdr Senior
    Expand Collapse

Increasing the OCs pay to 1.5 vs 2 for the HC wouldn't be a problem to me if I was the HC if that OC won we games !
    Pitt didn't want to pay him 1.5 is more the point
    Even if Pitt matched the contract the opportunities at a school like LSU are far superior than at a place like Pitt.
    The athletes he gets to work with at LSU are a step above Pitts , it will be interesting if he can work the magic like he did here last season at LSU . If he does he won't be there long either !
    Memo to KS ......Winning makes friends

Jpripper88 likes this.
  34. vegasgreed

vegasgreed Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Pitt admin will replace him when they are embarrassed enough.

35. bobfree

bobfree All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Frankly I don't care what last years players thought of him.

Cam Johnson is the only guy on the team that had both talent and heart.

And regardless of him transferring Pitt was going to struggle next season. And again that isn't entirely Stallings fault.

The next 10 months specifically how well Stallings coaches these kids up as well how well he improves the roster will determine his fate.

Johnson and maybe Manigault were the only 2 guys that could play at this level. The roster purge and impending doom feared by some is over blown. This season of failure is the results of seeds planted years ago.

fkthomas and NCanton Panther like this.
  36. DT_PITT

DT_PITT Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't disagree with the general notion of your post here, but would contest your failure to include Luther in the group of players who can play at this level.

37. bobfree

bobfree All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I was saying players that left.

If I wasn't clear I apologize.

Ryan Luther can play at this level. He probably shouldn't be a starter on a high level team but he is a good college basketball player

38. DT_PITT

DT_PITT Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Completely agree.

39. BuffetParrothead

Expand Collapse

Fake news again!
    If we had money bag donors they would have stepped up after Dixon was forced to walk the gang plank and participated in "their" new hire.

You don't become a "rich" person by making bad decisions like hiring Stallings only PITT executives get that opportunity which is expected of them. Its a PITT tradition!

40. thebadby2

thebadby2 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

The athletes he gets to work with at LSU are a step above Pitts

That's a bit of an understatement. Another understatement would be to say that LSU's schedule in average is a step above Pitt's. He will have better players at his disposal by and large, but he will be playing against better player and teams than Pitt does most weeks. What he did against Clemson and their vastly superior team talent level was incredible, but was it a one-off?

It will be interesting to see how Canada does down there. If he can find his QB, and if Orgeron is smart enough to give him full control, i expect it will be inpressive.