ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings buyout rumor

Heard recently there is already a group of money bag alums who have approached Lyke with the money to buyout Stallings AFTER next year. My question is, why wait? Seems like there is nothing to be gained by having him coach for one more year due to how toxic he is.
Who is more toxic? The coach? Or the "smart" people who run to message boards and public forums like twitter to air out negativity for recruits, competing programs, and the rest of the basketball world to see?

Stallings wasn't the home run hire that many of you felt we were entitled to. He wouldn't have been my choice. But he took out the trash, and is starting anew. I wish Chris Peak would do the same. A large amount of people on these boards are as toxic as Jamel Artis and Mike Youngs attitudes were.

Well if Stalling is a total loser as most people on this site think how did he deliver good - very good recruits at Vandy and cant do the same at PITT.

Maybe someone previous to him dropped a bomber and ran out of the room and stunk the room up for players wanting to come to PITT? You would think that smell would clear out must have been one you could light?
He didn't. He had 2 top 25 classes in 17 years at Vandy.

You have to admit, when your original post says she is someone that doesn't mince words and she made sure to let him know she was an unhappy season ticket holder, it isn't hard for your imagination to wonder how polite or diplomatic she may or may not have been.

Again, your own words in your original post can't help but invite the response of Diehard Panther that you are jumping all over him about.
Agreed--and if some stranger sat down next to me on an airplane and started criticizing me professionally, I'd tell that person on no uncertain terms to go F him/herself.

Who is more toxic? The coach? Or the "smart" people who run to message boards and public forums like twitter to air out negativity for recruits, competing programs, and the rest of the basketball world to see?

Stallings wasn't the home run hire that many of you felt we were entitled to. He wouldn't have been my choice. But he took out the trash, and is starting anew. I wish Chris Peak would do the same. A large amount of people on these boards are as toxic as Jamel Artis and Mike Youngs attitudes were.
The coach, he matters

If you don't think that the perception of Pitt basketball is shaped far more by it's head coach than it is by posters on an internet message board then you may need to see a doctor, because you're losing your mind.
I never said I did. But if you don't think that crying, whining, entitled fans on a message board or on twitter don't give recruits a bad impression and help other programs recruit against, then you're in denial.

I never said I did. But if you don't think that crying, whining, entitled fans on a message board or on twitter don't give recruits a bad impression and help other programs recruit against, then you're in denial.

Of course it matters, but on a scale of 1 to 100 the coach is a 100 and message boards are pretty close to a 1.

Yeah, it really doesn't. Especially since it is a part of every fanbase.

His obvious lack of coaching competence and recruiting ability aside, Stallings is a disgusting person with not one decent quality to his name. Is this what we have as our head coach?

His obvious lack of coaching competence and recruiting ability aside, Stallings is a disgusting person with not one decent quality to his name. Is this what we have as our head coach?
By all accounts he is a good family man, and a lot of other coaches like him. How exactly is he a disgusting person?

Attacking a mans character who you only know by watching bb games and interviews says more about you then him .
In all fairness, there is a lot of on court, video/sound evidence he is a POS. We also know what he did to Sheldon Jeter, too.

In all fairness, there is a lot of on court, video/sound evidence he is a POS. We also know what he did to Sheldon Jeter, too.

Because he told Luther to get his head out of his ass? Or because he jumped down the neck of one of his players trying to show up an opposing player? C'mon.

There are plenty of coaching/recruiting/success(or lack there of) topics available to criticize Stallings. Imagined "a lot of on court video/sound" bs to call the guy a POS is pretty thin and petty.

Meanwhile Jeter was one of his biggest boosters when he was announced as the HC last spring . If anyone had an ax to grind it was SJ .
If your watching JD you'd think the mans unhinged
If your watching Bill Cohwer you'd have thought he was mad man
How do you judge the fan that's sitting next to you that's foaming at the mouth screaming profanities at the top of his lungs ?
Or people who have no personal interactions with someone , but think they know the man ?
Ps ... I don't like him as the coach of the Panthers and I don't see him reviving the program , but that doesn't make the man a POS , it makes him the wrong coach at the wrong time .

Because he told Luther to get his head out of his ass? Or because he jumped down the neck of one of his players trying to show up an opposing player? C'mon.

There are plenty of coaching/recruiting/success(or lack there of) topics available to criticize Stallings. Imagined "a lot of on court video/sound" bs to call the guy a POS is pretty thin and petty.
I didn't make the comment or judge him. I just said there is evidence to support that opinion. I do think it is a fair opinion and critique. I wouldn't care AT ALL, if he won basketball games.

Meanwhile Jeter was one of his biggest boosters when he was announced as the HC last spring . If anyone had an ax to grind it was SJ .
If your watching JD you'd think the mans unhinged
If your watching Bill Cohwer you'd have thought he was mad man
How do you judge the fan that's sitting next to you that's foaming at the mouth screaming profanities at the top of his lungs ?
Or people who have no personal interactions with someone , but think they know the man ?
Ps ... I don't like him as the coach of the Panthers and I don't see him reviving the program , but that doesn't make the man a POS , it makes him the wrong coach at the wrong time .
Jeter wasn't a big booster, but he had no choice but to deal with it.

I didn't make the comment or judge him. I just said there is evidence to support that opinion.

Reactions: Chaos
I didn't make the comment or judge him. I just said there is evidence to support that opinion. I do think it is a fair opinion and critique. I wouldn't care AT ALL, if he won basketball games.

I think two examples over a 17+ year career is a little petty and doesn't quite reach the level of "a lot" as you described it. And I certainly don't think those examples of cussing or berating make him "disgusting" or a "POS".

I'd love to look into the past histories of those who pass those judgements to see what they have said or how they have acted. Glass houses, ya know?

Jeter wasn't a big booster, but he had no choice but to deal with it.

I didn't make the comment or judge him. I just said there is evidence to support that opinion.
I disagree Jeter could've bad mouthed him causing players to leave . Probably making last season look like the one coming up . Plus I'm sure under the circumstances Jeter probably could've received a waiver to transfer and play somewhere else immediately .

I think two examples over a 17+ year career is a little petty and doesn't quite reach the level of "a lot" as you described it. And I certainly don't think those examples of cussing or berating make him "disgusting" or a "POS".

I'd love to look into the past histories of those who pass those judgements to see what they have said or how they have acted. Glass houses, ya know?
Those are two prominent ones on video/sound, which got national attention. I am sure there are lots, lots more. I've seen a lot watching him at Vandy.

Agreed. Of course judgement is always different when you are tasked with a responsibility to lead young men/women.

I don't care if our HC is a jerk, as long as he wins.

I disagree Jeter could've bad mouthed him causing players to leave . Probably making last season look like the one coming up . Plus I'm sure under the circumstances Jeter probably could've received a waiver to transfer and play somewhere else immediately .
Who says he didn't bad mouth him to teammates and that is partly why last year was so bad? Could players have left in April? Maybe some of them. How many of them were already graduated and had options to leave? How many of them would do that before seeing for themselves for a year, if they couldn't be immediately eligible somewhere else?

I am pretty sure there would have been no waiver.

Those are two prominent ones on video/sound, which got national attention. I am sure there are lots, lots more. I've seen a lot watching him at Vandy.

Agreed. Of course judgement is always different when you are tasked with a responsibility to lead young men/women.

I don't care if our HC is a jerk, as long as he wins.

Who says he didn't bad mouth him to teammates and that is partly why last year was so bad? Could players have left in April? Maybe some of them. How many of them were already graduated and had options to leave? How many of them would do that before seeing for themselves for a year, if they couldn't be immediately eligible somewhere else?

I am pretty sure there would have been no waiver.
For Jeter no doubt their would've been a waiver , but we were told he fully endorsed KS . You want a different agenda because you dislike him on a personal level which you have no real basis for since you don't know him . If it makes you to feel better not likeing someone you don't know go with it , I just don't like him as the coach .

For Jeter no doubt their would've been a waiver , but we were told he fully endorsed KS . You want a different agenda because you dislike him on a personal level which you have no real basis for since you don't know him . If it makes you to feel better not likeing someone you don't know go with it , I just don't like him as the coach .
There is absolutely doubt.

I actually don't really have a personal opinion on him. I think he is likely a jerk in a lot of ways, but I don't care at all if he wins games.

I actually don't really have a personal opinion on him. I think he is likely a jerk in a lot of ways, but I don't care at all if he wins games.
If he read what you say about him he'd have every reason to think of you as a " jerk " or maybe something stronger with reason . Don't like him as a coach ok , but you don't know him as a person . Think about it .

I usually like and agree with a good bit of what you post JRipper but in this case I have a hard time following you. Seems to be a good bit of contradictions in your back n forth herein. This reply is a case in point. You state you have no opinion on him but then state you think he's a jerk. Isn't that an opinion or assumption on your part? You've done that throughout this thread and in every case you've assumed the worst.

Reactions: drp1tt
Not only do recruits read message boards, but.so do recruits parents, relatives and friends. Many times a coach will go to the home of a potential recruit and end up answering questions related to the negativity on message boards about the program, the coach, the school, instead of allowing the coach to present the positive side of things. I am not just talking about the insults, rumors, innuendos about the coach, but insults directed towards new recruits coming into the program. Believe me, on a scale of 1 to 100, message boards play a much bigger part than a 1. Opposing coaches load up on ammunition from the negativity on message boards. Please don't give me that Horse S---t that it does not matter. It does matter in this age of the internet.

Not only do recruits read message boards, but.so do recruits parents, relatives and friends. Many times a coach will go to the home of a potential recruit and end up answering questions related to the negativity on message boards about the program, the coach, the school, instead of allowing the coach to present the positive side of things. I am not just talking about the insults, rumors, innuendos about the coach, but insults directed towards new recruits coming into the program. Believe me, on a scale of 1 to 100, message boards play a much bigger part than a 1. Opposing coaches load up on ammunition from the negativity on message boards. Please don't give me that Horse S---t that it does not matter. It does matter in this age of the internet.
Maybe it's higher than a 1 on the scale but I've never heard a recruit reference a message board, good or bad. At any given time how many people are really on here posting/reading, less than a thousand?? Do opposing coaches really need negative material from the message boards about a team than didn't make the tourney, has an average recruiting class, and had their best returning player leave?

Every team out there with a message board has negative comments/posters so how hard can it be for our coaches to counteract that effect if it even comes up.

Well my comment that it was a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100 was supposed to be hyperbole, but the fact of the matter is that it is much, much closer to 1 than it is to being really important.

No recruit anywhere ever in the history of college athletics has ever said, "I really love School X, the coach is great, the school is great, the facilities are top notch, my teammates there would be great, it's in a top level conference, my opportunity for playing time is good, the systems fit the way I want to play, everything is good, except there are some negative posters on an internet message board, so I better no go there." And similarly, no recruit anywhere in the history of college athletics has ever said "I really don't like Coach S, for whatever reason we just don't seem to click with each other, but on the other hand there are some posters on an internet message board who really love the guy so I must be wrong, that's where I'm going to go."

If you were listing things in the order of importance to recruits, what people on an internet message board think is way, way down on the list. So far down that in almost every case it is absolutely meaningless.

Message boards have nothing to do with a decision that a recruit makes to go to school A or school B. If it does, I don't want that kid at Pitt.

The coach, school, the administration and personal preferences on location and style of play are primary. We have no coaches that can recruit good players. That's about all you need to know.

Google, Do recruits read teams message boards. The first thing posted is an article from Warchant.com. it goes into the subject matter that we are discussing, and hopefully it will shed some insight into what we are talking about.

Google, Do recruits read teams message boards. The first thing posted is an article from Warchant.com. it goes into the subject matter that we are discussing, and hopefully it will shed some insight into what we are talking about.
If posters complaining on message boards truly did influence recruits, Notre Dame wouldn't stand a chance. Go to any of their football message boards the last few years and all you will see is bitching and complaining. Message board banter, although a very small snapshot of the school sport's community in general, is LOW down on the list of what players use to make their final decisions. Please.

Reactions: HOF Coach
If posters complaining on message boards truly did influence recruits, Notre Dame wouldn't stand a chance. Go to any of their football message boards the last few years and all you will see is bitching and complaining. Message board banter, although a very small snapshot of the school sport's community in general, is LOW down on the list of what players use to make their final decisions. Please.
Not directing this directly to you Pitt-girl but everyone in here acting like they definitely know that recruits do or don't read message boards and whether it affects their decisions.

I've known quite a few recruits that have gone on to play div 1 ball, maybe more on the FB than BB side but do know 2 on the BB side that r currently in the NBA. I can't say how much a message board may or may not have influenced their decision but I do know they read them.

I would say out Pitt message board herein has way more vitriol on it than most. I think it's safe to say that a potential recruit to Pitt that happened to come to this board wouldn't find anything to reinforce his decision to come here. It's not out of the realm of possibility that what they read here could steer them in another direction.

Not directing this directly to you Pitt-girl but everyone in here acting like they definitely know that recruits do or don't read message boards and whether it affects their decisions.

I've known quite a few recruits that have gone on to play div 1 ball, maybe more on the FB than BB side but do know 2 on the BB side that r currently in the NBA. I can't say how much a message board may or may not have influenced their decision but I do know they read them.

I would say out Pitt message board herein has way more vitriol on it than most. I think it's safe to say that a potential recruit to Pitt that happened to come to this board wouldn't find anything to reinforce his decision to come here. It's not out of the realm of possibility that what they read here could steer them in another direction.
So say that is true - what's the point of message boards if you have to censure any negative comments? And I TOTALLY disagree about this board being more vitriolic than others - I encourage you to check out ndnation.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I am not just talking about recruits. I am also talking about parents relatives and friends reading these boards. All that it takes is for one of the above to plant a seed of doubt and it becomes an uphill battle from there. By the way , please read the article on Warchant.com, that I have mentioned above.

So say that is true - what's the point of message boards if you have to censure any negative comments? And I TOTALLY disagree about this board being more vitriolic than others - I encourage you to check out ndnation.
I'm not implying anything needs censored, I'm just commenting regarding others comments herein suggesting with certainty that what's on these message boards has no effect on recruits. And I'm not saying it does, only that it sure doesn't help and isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could have some negative impact.

You keep mentioning ND as an example of a site as bad as Pitt's. Do you have any other examples. I think ours is definitely filled with more vitriol than most.

Recruits that would make decision based on message boards are idiots - same with Pitt admin hiring a coach to long term contract that 95% of fan base absolutely hated

ADVERTISEMENT