ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings buyout rumor

I'm not implying anything needs censored, I'm just commenting regarding others comments herein suggesting with certainty that what's on these message boards has no effect on recruits. And I'm not saying it does, only that it sure doesn't help and isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could have some negative impact.

You keep mentioning ND as an example of a site as bad as Pitt's. Do you have any other examples. I think ours is definitely filled with more vitriol than most.
Well, when it comes to Pitt and its current state, this message board is the least of its problems. I do agree however that totally hate filled posts are uneccesary and for the most part @Chris Peak does monitor them.

In regards to any other message boards, I think if you visited when either the football or basketball team is imploding, you'll find much the same thing as what you're describing here. This is a community where people can come together and commiserate. I think recruits who still choose a school even if it is in a down cycle knows what they're getting into.

There are a-hole fans everywhere.

I'm not implying anything needs censored, I'm just commenting regarding others comments herein suggesting with certainty that what's on these message boards has no effect on recruits. And I'm not saying it does, only that it sure doesn't help and isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could have some negative impact.

You keep mentioning ND as an example of a site as bad as Pitt's. Do you have any other examples. I think ours is definitely filled with more vitriol than most.
You mean compared to the message board where they regularly say that raping children is fine? I shudder at how that must be killing their program. What? Oh...

I love it when some on here say that young kids are idiots if they read this board and form opions that influence their decision, They are still kids for a reason. They are easily impressionable and because they are impressionable, that does not make them idiots. Sometimes I wonder if the supposed adults on here, are not the real idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
Well, when it comes to Pitt and its current state, this message board is the least of its problems. I do agree however that totally hate filled posts are uneccesary and for the most part @Chris Peak does monitor them.

In regards to any other message boards, I think if you visited when either the football or basketball team is imploding, you'll find much the same thing as what you're describing here. This is a community where people can come together and commiserate. I think recruits who still choose a school even if it is in a down cycle knows what they're getting into.

There are a-hole fans everywhere.
Exactly. Not to mention Pitt just had their worst season in decades. If there wasn't any negativity on these boards after this pathetic season, Pitt fans would then be accused of not caring about the program. The coaches get paid a lot of money to sell their vision for the program, and I think it's a cop-out to blame message board posters for their inability to recruit.

Reactions: Haydman
I love it when some on here say that young kids are idiots if they read this board and form opions that influence their decision, They are still kids for a reason. They are easily impressionable and because they are impressionable, that does not make them idiots. Sometimes I wonder if the supposed adults on here, are not the real idiots.

But do you not understand that people get information from other places? Do you really think that there is any recruit out there right now that thinks that everything is great with Pitt basketball and then they stumble upon this place and are shocked to find out otherwise? You don't think recruits know which programs are in trouble and which are going good? You don't think that these kids (and their parents) don't talk to people who know what is going on? You don't think that coaches from every other program that we are recruiting against right now aren't telling these kids and their parents that things are screwed up here right now? And doing it in ways that are far more damaging than anything that anyone on this board is doing?

It's almost as if you think that the only place that recruits are going to hear something bad about Pitt is from a message board. And that's laughable. What gets posted on this board pales in comparison to what kids are being told from our competitors.

But do you not understand that people get information from other places? Do you really think that there is any recruit out there right now that thinks that everything is great with Pitt basketball and then they stumble upon this place and are shocked to find out otherwise? You don't think recruits know which programs are in trouble and which are going good? You don't think that these kids (and their parents) don't talk to people who know what is going on? You don't think that coaches from every other program that we are recruiting against right now aren't telling these kids and their parents that things are screwed up here right now? And doing it in ways that are far more damaging than anything that anyone on this board is doing?

It's almost as if you think that the only place that recruits are going to hear something bad about Pitt is from a message board. And that's laughable. What gets posted on this board pales in comparison to what kids are being told from our competitors.
What I am saying is this board post a lot of nonsense. For instance, this thread and it's title, Stallings Buyout Rumor. No facts, just a lot of silliness. Silliness that can be detrimental to this program. By the way, if you think that recruits, their parents, their relatives, their friends, don't read message boards, you are living in a fantasy world. Read the article that I mentioned previously. By the way, I never said that recruits were only influenced by this message board. There are many things that can influence a recruits decision. The point is, recruits read these boards and so do opposing coaches . What do think an opposing coach might say to a recruit in reference to this particular thread. Something like, hey, their coach might be gone soon. Don't give me it's laughable. It happens and quite often. Read the article my friend.

Last edited:
What I am saying is this board post a lot of nonsense. For instance, the original title of this
Every message board has some nonsense. You think this place is unique?

In regards to Pitt I'd be much more concerned what recruits are hearing from the players on last years team, to be perfectly honest. THAT will influence them.

Every message board has some nonsense. You think this place is unique?

In regards to Pitt I'd be much more concerned what recruits are hearing from the players on last years team, to be perfectly honest. THAT will influence them.
I am not concerned with other message boards. I am concerned with what is said on this board. There can be many things that can influence a recruits decision. Never said otherwise. What I am saying is, it is a component in the scheme of all things recruting.and in this age of the internet, it is more important than you might think. Read the article that I referenced

I am not concerned with other message boards. I am concerned with what is said on this board. There can be many things that can influence a recruits decision. Never said otherwise. What I am saying is, it is a component in the scheme of all things recruting.and in this age of the internet, it is more important than you might think. Read the article that I referenced
Obviously there are many components that go into recruiting. I would expect the actual relationship with coaches and programs and their perceived future role to be the most important.

Re: this particular site, you do realize this is a free message board - and therefore could be populated by anyone, including those who choose to be purposefully inflammatory or even from other schools? It is much the same as Twitter. Even if every Pitt fan would abstain from "negative" posting (whatever that even means), what stops those who have a different agenda?????

In regards to the present day state of the Pitt basketball program, I think you are wasting your time pointing a finger here.

Last edited:
I usually like and agree with a good bit of what you post JRipper but in this case I have a hard time following you. Seems to be a good bit of contradictions in your back n forth herein. This reply is a case in point. You state you have no opinion on him but then state you think he's a jerk. Isn't that an opinion or assumption on your part? You've done that throughout this thread and in every case you've assumed the worst.
I don't think so. I think there is evidence that he is a jerk and not much evidence to the contrary, but I don't care about that stuff in a coach. I care about whether he wins. I don't have an opinion on him beyond whether he is good enough for Pitt basketball and that is entirely about winning games.

If he read what you say about him he'd have every reason to think of you as a " jerk " or maybe something stronger with reason . Don't like him as a coach ok , but you don't know him as a person . Think about it .
Cool. I don't give a shit what Kevin Stallings thinks of me and when I have a chance to talk with Lyke I'll tell her I think he is a bad fit and the basketball program is on the verge of collapse. Zero of it will be because he is nice or a jerk and him being nice or a jerk wouldn't sway my opinion either way. All I said is that there was evidence one way to back up what the poster said. However, it doesn't really matter and I don't have a real opinion because I don't care.

Reactions: levance2
You are concerned with other message boards because you are the one who compared Pitt message boards with other team message boards and referenced Warchant specifically.

Reactions: levance2
I don't think so. I think there is evidence that he is a jerk and not much evidence to the contrary, but I don't care about that stuff in a coach. I care about whether he wins. I don't have an opinion on him beyond whether he is good enough for Pitt basketball and that is entirely about winning games.

Cool. I don't give a shit what Kevin Stallings thinks of me and when I have a chance to talk with Lyke I'll tell her I think he is a bad fit and the basketball program is on the verge of collapse. Zero of it will be because he is nice or a jerk and him being nice or a jerk wouldn't sway my opinion either way. All I said is that there was evidence one way to back up what the poster said. However, it doesn't really matter and I don't have a real opinion because I don't care.
I'm sure she'll listen to you if you express yourself as eloquently as you have on here !

Well my comment that it was a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100 was supposed to be hyperbole, but the fact of the matter is that it is much, much closer to 1 than it is to being really important.

No recruit anywhere ever in the history of college athletics has ever said, "I really love School X, the coach is great, the school is great, the facilities are top notch, my teammates there would be great, it's in a top level conference, my opportunity for playing time is good, the systems fit the way I want to play, everything is good, except there are some negative posters on an internet message board, so I better no go there." And similarly, no recruit anywhere in the history of college athletics has ever said "I really don't like Coach S, for whatever reason we just don't seem to click with each other, but on the other hand there are some posters on an internet message board who really love the guy so I must be wrong, that's where I'm going to go."

If you were listing things in the order of importance to recruits, what people on an internet message board think is way, way down on the list. So far down that in almost every case it is absolutely meaningless.
Isn't the issue whether the kid's view of the coach, the school, the facilities and the program overall may be influenced by what people say on message boards? I'm not one who has ever believed that message board chatter is a major determinant of what school a player chooses but I suppose it's possible in the case of a kid here and there that if they visit these boards they may develop an impression of the "tone" of the program and that may impact their decision.

By the way, if you think that recruits, their parents, their relatives, their friends, don't read message boards, you are living in a fantasy world.

The sum total number of people who thinks that recruits and their parents don't read message boards is zero. Literally, zero. Hell, it's been a running joke on here for years. Did you ever wonder how that one guy got his board handle?

But the idea that recruits and their parents are hearing bad stuff about Pitt here that they aren't hearing from opposing coaches on the recruiting trail is nuts. Just nuts. The stuff that recruits are hearing about Pitt on the recruiting trail is worse, much worse, than just about anything that you'd read here. And that stuff has a lot more weight to it, because of where it's coming from.

There are NO recruits out there who don't know that Stallings had a bad season last year and that it looks like there is more trouble on the horizon, and because of that if they sign to play at Pitt the coach that is recruiting them may not be here for much of their careers. NONE. Because they are being told all that and worse by the people that we are recruiting against.

Reactions: Chaos
Isn't the issue whether the kid's view of the coach, the school, the facilities and the program overall may be influenced by what people say on message boards? I'm not one who has ever believed that message board chatter is a major determinant of what school a player chooses but I suppose it's possible in the case of a kid here and there that if they visit these boards they may develop an impression of the "tone" of the program and that may impact their decision.

I would say that you are absolutely correct, except for the fact that we know that just about every recruiter out there uses negative tactics against the schools they are competing against. A recruit doesn't have to come to a Pitt message board to know that Pitt's season last year was a disaster, they are hearing all about it from competing recruiters. A recruit doesn't have to come to a Pitt message board to hear that Pitt's upcoming season may very well make last season's disaster look good in comparison, because they are hearing about it from competing recruiters. A recruit doesn't have to come to a Pitt message board to hear speculation about Kevin Stallings getting fired, because I guarantee you that recruit is hearing all about it from competing recruiters.

The sum total number of people who thinks that recruits and their parents don't read message boards is zero. Literally, zero. Hell, it's been a running joke on here for years. Did you ever wonder how that one guy got his board handle?

But the idea that recruits and their parents are hearing bad stuff about Pitt here that they aren't hearing from opposing coaches on the recruiting trail is nuts. Just nuts. The stuff that recruits are hearing about Pitt on the recruiting trail is worse, much worse, than just about anything that you'd read here. And that stuff has a lot more weight to it, because of where it's coming from.

There are NO recruits out there who don't know that Stallings had a bad season last year and that it looks like there is more trouble on the horizon, and because of that if they sign to play at Pitt the coach that is recruiting them may not be here for much of their careers. NONE. Because they are being told all that and worse by the people that we are recruiting against.

One key thing you completely discount and that is the average recruit would automatically question the credibility of a competing coach throwing stones at an opponent's program...that's the way the game is played and everyone understands that. Same can't be said for similar negative feedback coming from a program's supposed supporters. That feedback is likely to be given more credibility.

One key thing you completely discount and that is the average recruit would automatically question the credibility of a competing coach throwing stones at an opponent's program...that's the way the game is played and everyone understands that. Same can't be said for similar negative feedback coming from a program's supposed supporters. That feedback is likely to be given more credibility.

So you think that people put more stock in something that an anonymous person on an anonymous message board says than they do in someone that they at least know a little bit and at least have some sort of relationship with, as most recruits do with people who are recruiting them?

Just out of curiosity, does it work that way for you? Do you give more credence to things that you hear from anonymous sources that you don't know the veracity of or do you put more stock in things you hear from people that you have at least dealt with before? I mean I guess it's possible that some people do put more faith and trust in completely anonymous sources than they do sources that they at least know a little bit, but damn, people like that would have to be idiots.

Again, this is a FREE message board. Anyone with half a brain knows that it can and will be populated in some degree with those who deliberately troll and fans of other programs. And in fact there is a large percentage of supporters who only stay on paid boards.

I happen to believe recruits (especially those widely recruited) and their families are fairly savvy to social media and message boards. And I also believe Twitter is WAY more of a problem than anything said here as that is direct communication. I really think this much ado about nothing.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Read The Article. Not one time does anyone on this board state that recruits reading message boards is the main component of a recruits decision making. What is being said is that it is a component and sometimes a swaying factor. You are delusional to think this does not happen. In this age of the internet, it happens quite a bit. You are so stuck on your silly premise that it doesn't have an effect on recruiting, that you are blinded by reality. You are starting to sound foolish. I guess your hyperbole is an excuse for defending foolishness.

Read The Article. Not one time does anyone on this board state that recruits reading message boards is the main component of a recruits decision making. What is being said is that it is a component and sometimes a swaying factor. You are delusional to think this does not happen. In this age of the internet, it happens quite a bit. You are so stuck on your silly premise that it doesn't have an effect on recruiting, that you are blinded by reality. You are starting to sound foolish. I guess your hyperbole is an excuse for defending foolishness.
I'd have to agree with playtiwin1. A poster can state on this board only that it can have an effect and the rebuttals coming back paint it as if someone said it is the major or only reason for a recruits choice. I haven't seen anyone suggesting that.

Are any of the rebuttals herein anything more than speculation or opinion. Does anyone have any direct involvement or experience. I know my direct experience with a handful of Div 1 recruits says that Joe the Panther Fan's claim is incorrect. The ones I know gave no credence whatsoever to whatever negative recruiting talk thrown at them from competing schools and coaches. In other words, they were smart enough to realize the source of the negative comments and didn't give them a second thought.

Alright I give up: What is your solution for all of social media in regards to recruiting?

Like I said, if a recruit considers what he or she reads on a message board as even a very, very small criteria as to where he or she attends school, that recruit isn't smart enough or worth the time it takes to recruit that person.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Like I said, if a recruit considers what he or she reads on a message board as even a very, very small criteria as to where he or she attends school, that recruit isn't smart enough or worth the time it takes to recruit that person.
Alright I give up: What is your solution for all of social media in regards to recruiting?
I am not here to offer solutions. You can post anything you want. That is your choice. It would be nice if we stayed away from unsubstantiated rumors and personal attacks on the coach and players. I never came on here to censor anything, but just to point out that in this day of the internet and message boards, we try to be more mature and adultlike in reference to our complaints.

I suppose that goes for the general population who get most of their news from the internet. Hell political parties spend millions of dollars in pushing their garbage on message boards and the internet just to influence voters. 17 and 18 year olds are suppose to be even more impressionable because they are still kids. They have little of life's experience to fall back on. Recruits themselves not only read these boards, but as I said, so do parents, relatives and friends. Read the article that I referenced. It is very informative.

I am not here to offer solutions. You can post anything you want. That is your choice. It would be nice if we stayed away from unsubstantiated rumors and personal attacks on the coach and players. I never came on here to censor anything, but just to point out that in this day of the internet and message boards, we try to be more mature and adultlike in reference to our complaints.
If this was your point all along, of course I agree. Personal attacks never make sense. As long as we can also agree that not everything can be rosy or positive, most especially now.

And for the record, there has been vitriol here for years under Dixon too.

What I am saying is this board post a lot of nonsense. For instance, this thread and it's title, Stallings Buyout Rumor. No facts, just a lot of silliness. Silliness that can be detrimental to this program.

Sounds like you're calling this board "fake news" and deflecting blame for Pitt's struggles here instead of facing the more difficult truth.

I think all the empty seats to go along with losing badly that's going to be seen on tv next season will be far more daming than some of these knuckleheads personal attacks on coaches and players !

Reactions: Chaos
If this was your point all along, of course I agree. Personal attacks never make sense. As long as we can also agree that not everything can be rosy or positive, most especially now.

And for the record, there has been vitriol here for years under Dixon too.
Sounds like you're calling this board "fake news" and deflecting blame for Pitt's struggles here instead of facing the more difficult Never said that. Just saying, if adults are influenced by what is said over the internet, so are 17 and 18 year olds. By the way, since you mentioned it, I suppose some of what is said on this board can be labled fake news, perhaps this thread titled, Stallings Buyout Rumor.

The only one here defending foolishness is you.

Point me to one athlete, not just a basketball player, any athlete in any sport, that says that they were all set to go to a certain school, that they loved everything about it, and then they read something bad about that school or that coach on an anonymous internet message board so they changed their mind. If your contention that these kinds of boards are much more than a minor factor dwarfed by many more important factors in a kid's decision then it should be easy to name a bunch. Or a few. Or at least one.

I think all the empty seats to go along with losing badly that's going to be seen on tv next season will be far more daming than some of these knuckleheads personal attacks on coaches and players !

Oh, come on. Potential recruits wouldn't even know that there were tons of empty seats or that we were losing badly except for when they read about it on a message board.

If we all just keep quiet about things we can fool them all!

Point me to one athlete, not just a basketball player, any athlete in any sport, that says that they were all set to go to a certain school, that they loved everything about it, and then they read something bad about that school or that coach on an anonymous internet message board so they changed their mind. If your contention that these kinds of boards are much more than a minor factor dwarfed by many more important factors in a kid's decision then it should be easy to name a bunch. Or a few. Or at least one.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tarh...n-recruit-decommits-because-of-message-boards

Here you go....

Now do everyone a favor, stfu for a little and quit acting like a pompous jackoff.

Thanks in advance for the break.

Well there you go, that's one.

And I'll make a deal with you. The second you stop acting like a pompous jackoff I will too. My guess is that I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Read t

Read the article that I referenced. If you believe what you just wrote, your hyperbole is controlling your thought process. Continue to live in your delusional world of absolutes. Only foolish people live in that kind of world.

Last edited:
I'm sure she'll listen to you if you express yourself as eloquently as you have on here !
I'm sure she won't listen to me, but I'm sure she will fire him one day.

I referenced the article as it relates to the topic. It talks about unsubstantiated rumors, recruits and players reading message boards. Comprende!
And you compared (incorrectly) and cared about other schools boards.

Comprende?

I'm sure she won't listen to me, but I'm sure she will fire him one day.

And you compared (incorrectly) and cared about other schools boards.

Comprende?
You my friend are in a complete fog. Read the article. Never compared anything and used the article to reference the topic. Please take a class in reading comprehension.

Well there you go, that's one.

And I'll make a deal with you. The second you stop acting like a pompous jackoff I will too. My guess is that I won't have to worry about it for a while.

Great, you admit you act like one!

Denial is often the biggest step to overcome.

I salute you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT