ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings coming back to Pittsburgh

If it’s relative to Last season-hoops by a mile.

I’ll enjoy football like I always do.

But, I flat out hated Stallings and the chaos he created in 2 short seasons.
I still watched but had no reason to expect wins.

I’m excited to see the infusion of talent , and a coach who likely won’t be allergic to rebounds and defense- strategically.

Reactions: Parkview57
How about deleting this thread and leaving the kid alone!

He has nothing to do with his father and PITT basketball.

If you're a Pirates fan and he's playing better hope he's successful!

Some of you are a bunch of f'ing clowns!

"Its five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I do agree that there's no need to go after Jacob (not that I've really noticed anyone in this thread doing that). He's actually an incredibly hard worker who's doing everything he can to overcome subpar physical tools. That he's even sniffed the majors is a testament to his work ethic. Perhaps his father might have found a modicum of success if he had similar drive.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I do agree that there's no need to go after Jacob (not that I've really noticed anyone in this thread doing that). He's actually an incredibly hard worker who's doing everything he can to overcome subpar physical tools. That he's even sniffed the majors is a testament to his work ethic. Perhaps his father might have found a modicum of success if he had similar drive.

Yeah, Jacob deserves nothing but praise for what he has done to get to where is he. Unfortunately for him, he did not get into a game before being sent back. Fortunately he got another week of service time and the paycheck that comes with it, so there is that. He's about half way to being vested in the MLB pension plan, so if he stays healthy and comes up again either through injury to Cervelli or Diaz or he gets called up for the month of September he could very well meet the service time requirements before this season ends.

Reactions: PantherDDS
Also leave Coach Stallings alone, he was dealt a loosing hand may he and his son find happiness. May we all be so fortunate to have a team stand up for us someday.

He was dealt a losing hand???? You have to be kidding! It's his fault and the fault of his former boss that we're in this mess that now has to be cleaned up by a real coach. He did less than nothing to help Pitt basketball and actually took it down. NOW we have a mess, thanks to your idol.

Stallings was not successful, but his players were loyal to him. To that end he was not a bad guy. He certainly better than the jag offs with bags over the heads that showed total disrespect to the players and the school. Why do I say a bad hand. In his first year he had two very good players who were playing for the NBA draft Not for Pitt and no point Guard. Year two he had to restock the entire team while his best players transferred or was out for the season. The kids he recruited played hard they just were not ACC caliber or experienced. I quite frankly was surprised he got the players he got with all the hate directed at him. Bottom line Talent doesn’t want to play for a looser, and its hard for a coach to build a winner when you are playing in front of fans with bags over the heads.

Stallings was not successful, but his players were loyal to him. To that end he was not a bad guy. He certainly better than the jag offs with bags over the heads that showed total disrespect to the players and the school. Why do I say a bad hand. In his first year he had two very good players who were playing for the NBA draft Not for Pitt and no point Guard. Year two he had to restock the entire team while his best players transferred or was out for the season. The kids he recruited played hard they just were not ACC caliber or experienced. I quite frankly was surprised he got the players he got with all the hate directed at him. Bottom line Talent doesn’t want to play for a looser, and its hard for a coach to build a winner when you are playing in front of fans with bags over the heads.

Michael Young only took so many ill-advised shots because Stallings allowed him to. He's the head coach for ****'s sake, that is not a "bad hand", it's an example of him being an ineffectual coach who the players might have "liked" but they clearly did not respect. The latter is a hell of a lot more important. Year two, he deliberately (by his own admission) targeted lesser ranked projects because he felt the program needed to be blown up. There are numerous reasons why that explanation makes no sense and it's always struck me as an excuse for his inability to recruit, but no matter which way you look at it, it reflects poorly on him. The bottom line is that you are making every ridiculous excuse for him and labeling the consequences of his own decisions as a bad hand. I decided to smoke crack and had a heart attack, it's a shame I was dealt such a bad hand.

To that end he was not a bad guy.

He wasn't being paid to be a good guy, or a bad guy for that matter. He was paid to be the basketball coach. A job at which he was a miserable failure.

Bottom line Talent doesn’t want to play for a looser,

And isn't that, in a nutshell, why Stallings couldn't recruit here? He was a loser and everyone with even a semi-functioning brain knew that from pretty much day one.

As I stated, he was not a successful coach, but hating a person for failing is not a trait I will endorse.

That's right. It was 75% Stallings and 25% Barnes. No one else was involved in the destruction of Pitt basketball.
How about Gallagher? He should det some blame. He hired Barnes and approved Stallings and the $10,000,000 or whatever it was.

Just think without Stallings , Pitt may have never gotten Capel.
Capel one day could take Pitt to places it has never been , like a Final 4.
So yes, Stallings did do something. He was so incompetent that he had to be replaced within 2 years. Again, thank you Kevin.

Just think without Stallings , Pitt may have never gotten Capel.
Capel one day could take Pitt to places it has never been , like a Final 4.
So yes, Stallings did do something. He was so incompetent that he had to be replaced within 2 years. Again, thank you Kevin.

Yes! The only saving grace to Stallings was that his failure was so abject and so absolute that we were able to jettison him after two years without feeling any ambivalence.

Stallings mostly slept on the job, so yes, that was stealing millions from Pitt and Pitt got no return for it.
First of all Pitt hired him , everybody involved from the boosters to the chancellor deserve the credit for Pitts struggles .
As far as talent he just like the coach before him couldn’t land any of their targeted recruits and he had to settle for what he got . Sound fimiliar ! Thinking those were the players he wanted is laughable .
Finally , as a fan I hated everything that transpired at Pitt bb from JD leaving to trying to wiggle out of a bad contract they signed . Signing JC is a new beginning and say what you want about KS I just hope JCs players are as loyal to him as KSs players were to him . If you don’t think that says something about the man ( who none of know ) your dead wrong .

Correct....loyalty to a loser reveals a lot about what the loyalists are made of, especially when they see him leading them down a path of no wins for the foreseeable future. I don't have a problem with failure. Progress never happened without failure. But it's HOW they were failing that was frightening.

But thankfully, he and everyone involved with that said loser are gone, with the exception of the boosters. Now if we could put a muzzle on them, the situation would be ideal. I am anxious to see how Capel actually coaches a team and see if he's focused on that part of it.

Even better, let's hope Capel's players can actually, you know, play basketball. At the end of the day, loyalty to a loser is still nothing more than loyalty to a loser.
Correct....loyalty to a loser reveals a lot about what the loyalists are made of, especially when they see him leading them down a path of no wins for the foreseeable future. I don't have a problem with failure. Progress never happened without failure. But it's HOW they were failing that was frightening.

But thankfully, he and everyone involved with that said loser are gone, with the exception of the boosters. Now if we could put a muzzle on them, the situation would be ideal. I am anxious to see how Capel actually coaches a team and see if he's focused on that part of it.
It’s a bit harsh to call any of these players losers . Had there actually been some players ready to play for Pitt last season ( sophomores , juniors and seniors ) a class of Carr , Stewart , Brown and Stevenson would’ve been a pretty good class . Expecting those guys to compete with veteran ACC teams or Dukes group of one and dones is not only unrealistic it’s laughable .
This coming year should be very interesting to see the progress KS players make and the impact JC recruits make . Will you call these guys and their coach losers if they win 5/6 conference games ?

It’s a bit harsh to call any of these players losers . Had there actually been some players ready to play for Pitt last season ( sophomores , juniors and seniors ) a class of Carr , Stewart , Brown and Stevenson would’ve been a pretty good class . Expecting those guys to compete with veteran ACC teams or Dukes group of one and dones is not only unrealistic it’s laughable .
This coming year should be very interesting to see the progress KS players make and the impact JC recruits make . Will you call these guys and their coach losers if they win 5/6 conference games ?
I’d agree it would be a decent class to build for development.

But also those who elected to transfer are easily replaceable for that reason.

Well then I guess fortunately for them I never called any of the players losers. Being loyal to a loser doesn't necessarily mean you are a loser too, it might just show a lack of judgment or maturity or experience.

And no, winning 5 or 6 games wouldn't make this year's team a bunch of losers, it would make them much improved over what the loser's team did.

How about Gallagher? He should det some blame. He hired Barnes and approved Stallings and the $10,000,000 or whatever it was.
Also approved the large contract for Capel and coaches. Give the man credit.

Hey, to get back to the original topic, the Pirates recalled Jacob Stallings again today because Francisco Cervelli had to go on the concussion disabled list again. That will get him another week's worth of service time and surely he'll get into a least a game or two over the next week.

Well then I guess fortunately for them I never called any of the players losers. Being loyal to a loser doesn't necessarily mean you are a loser too, it might just show a lack of judgment or maturity or experience.

And no, winning 5 or 6 games wouldn't make this year's team a bunch of losers, it would make them much improved over what the loser's team did.
That loser had a .600 D1 record over many yrs of coaching and made millions of dollars ...we should all be losers like that .
He was the wrong man at the wrong time in the wrong job , shit happens ...to me the losers are the ones that precipitated “nudging “ JD out and KS hiring .
Ps ... if Ellison is half the player their making him up to be I wouldn’t have ruled out that loser winning 5/6 ACC games .

Ps ... if Ellison is half the player their making him up to be I wouldn’t have ruled out that loser winning 5/6 ACC games .

Of course you wouldn't. Because you were just about his biggest supporter right up until that position became so untenable it was ridiculous. Or, to be more accurate, until well after it had become ridiculous.

Hey, to get back to the original topic, the Pirates recalled Jacob Stallings again today because Francisco Cervelli had to go on the concussion disabled list again. That will get him another week's worth of service time and surely he'll get into a least a game or two over the next week.

Funny how you mention the term “service time”. Las Vegas native Marty Cordova is on sports talk radio all the time out here, and according to him service time is the most discussed item in the locker room by a long shot amongst most players.

Funny how you mention the term “service time”. Las Vegas native Marty Cordova is on sports talk radio all the time out here, and according to him service time is the most discussed item in the locker room by a long shot amongst most players.

If you are someone like Stallings it's a big deal. If you can just be on the roster enough to qualify (43 days) you are guaranteed a $34,000 annual pension payment starting I think when you turn 62. For these borderline guys who are never going to make big money playing that is a huge benefit. And obviously that amount increases from there with more service time.

For a guy who will never get rich from playing baseball a $34,000 annual pension payment, in addition to whatever else he earns over his non-baseball working life, will make their senior years a whole lot more comfortable.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Stallings mostly slept on the job, so yes, that was stealing millions from Pitt and Pitt got no return for it.

The truth is PITT admin mismanaged the PITT basketball program, allowing the previous coaches ( I forget his name) poor recruiting and on the court performance to last as long as it did, making a bad hire in Stalling, and inking /signing a terrible contract in favor of Stalling.

Stalling did a terrible job as the PITT basketball coach, but as far as stealing millions its more like PITT made a voluntary contribution to the Stalling retirement fund and PITT was guilty of mismanagement of the PITT basketball program.

It seems as like Lyke gets it and this stuff isn't going to happen on her watch!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT