ADVERTISEMENT

Status of Cole’s NWCA match

Eric_Knopsnyder

Scholarship
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2022
Stoystown, PA
I saw this tweet this morning from Iowa:

It throws a little bit of doubt on whether or not Cole Matthews will be facing Real Woods at the NWCA All-Star Classic on Tuesday.
I’ll try to stay on top of the situation as much as I can.

I’ve heard Andrew Alirez from Northern Colorado may be a replacing Woods.

Hope that’s the case and we can see Cole get a match.
That is a good replacement if so. Was also thinking a rematch with Coliacco (sp?) from Penn but he is apparently at 133 now

Wrestlestat shows he’s taking a redshirt, but I thoughts IVY’s couldn’t take redshirts? Maybe I’m wrong?

Wrestlestat shows he’s taking a redshirt, but I thoughts IVY’s couldn’t take redshirts? Maybe I’m wrong?
Ivies can redshirt as far as i know. They dont give scholarships though. That might be it

From a gymnastics article, but I believe it's the same:
"Within the Ivy League, there is zero redshirting. You must complete your time within four seasons. If an athlete or gymnast wants to extend their time with the program, they must leave the school for those term lengths."

Reactions: bwh05
They call it a grey shirt year in the ivy schools, where they can take a year off, but they cannot be enrolled in school either.

Is Flo wrestling worth it? Will Pitt be shown on flo this year? I don't want to shell out the money to watch Cole tonight if Pitt isn't on it, or isn't on it often. Thanks.

Is Flo wrestling worth it? Will Pitt be shown on flo this year? I don't want to shell out the money to watch Cole tonight if Pitt isn't on it, or isn't on it often. Thanks.
Flo will televise the tournaments like Midlands, Southern Scuffle, Cliff Keen, etc. They dont have rights to anything else for NCAA wrestling

Reactions: Chaos
But they will show 10 other guys warming up , drilling and how they practice to get ready for competition but never a Pitt guy. How about showing any type of headline for Nino kicking the shit out of two top 12 ranked guys, can’t do that.

they tend to focus more on teams with larger fan bases. Any PSU or Iowa headlines will generate more clicks or views due to more fans being interested in those teams.

Unfortunately I don’t know if Pitt wrestling had a huge fan base which would generate as many of those clicks/views. Just look at the difference between this board and BWI or Hawkeyereport.

Reactions: DevilDog42
If you are into freestyle and international wrestling it is, a little tougher decision if you only care about folkstyle.

I think most of their matches will be on the ACC network. I was able to watch the last two on ESPN+ which is fairly cheap with the Hulu, Disney + and ESPN + bundle.

Reactions: Chaos
I get my moneys worth for sure with Flo but if you are specifically looking for just Pitt matches it is not worth it. However I watch plenty of Pitt related matches like Cole’s U23 run, plenty of tournaments that HS recruits wrestle in and for example I watched Meech’s Bill Farrell tournament (got second and hung with Gwiz btw) on Flo. It’s expensive and unfortunately they don’t do a per month basis but broken down it’s like 13 a month or something close to that. Be prepared for an occasional technical issue however!

ADVERTISEMENT