ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers dropping

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Steelers dropped close to 10 draft positions with that win last night. On one hand I have confidence in this offensive coordinator to return things to futility. I also have confidence that this defense has some stinkers left in them. But on the other hand I have confidence that Tomlin can get this team back to mediocrity. It’s his specialty. Who doesn’t think this team has 3 more wins in them?

Can you say 7-10? Dare I say 8-9? That’s the worst thing that can happen.

Reactions: Zombieking
Beat Atlanta and I think Pittsburgh could reach eight wins. Las Vegas seems to be getting better so that one is looking tougher than it did just a few weeks ago. They'll be sweating it draft night hoping Porter Jr. drops to them. When he is picked just ahead of the Steelers they'll reach for another ILB.

Steelers dropped close to 10 draft positions with that win last night. On one hand I have confidence in this offensive coordinator to return things to futility. I also have confidence that this defense has some stinkers left in them. But on the other hand I have confidence that Tomlin can get this team back to mediocrity. It’s his specialty. Who doesn’t think this team has 3 more wins in them?

The most important thing for the team long term is the QB plays better. For them to pick top 5 Pickett has to play terribly. It's far better for the franchise if he improves and they get the 13th pick.

Lots of silliness yet to come: Guys on non-contending teams with not-so-serious injuries being placed on IR, teams resting starters (our week 17 opponent isn't a playoff contender), new quarterbacks getting a look, etc. We can still lose to every team on our schedule. In fact, we almost pissed one away last night against a team that could barely complete a forward pass in the first half and then completed some beer league slow-pitch softball cotton candy lobs in the second half.

The three teams that finished 7-10 last season picked 8th, 9th, and 10th (or would have if they didn't traded the pick). Can anyone see us doing better than 3-3 down the stretch? Still have Baltimore twice, and then every other game should be something close to a coin flip, with the possible exception of Carolina or something.

Lots of silliness yet to come: Guys on non-contending teams with not-so-serious injuries being placed on IR, teams resting starters (our week 17 opponent isn't a playoff contender), new quarterbacks getting a look, etc. We can still lose to every team on our schedule. In fact, we almost pissed one away last night against a team that could barely complete a forward pass in the first half and then completed some beer league slow-pitch softball cotton candy lobs in the second half.

The three teams that finished 7-10 last season picked 8th, 9th, and 10th (or would have if they didn't traded the pick). Can anyone see us doing better than 3-3 down the stretch? Still have Baltimore twice, and then every other game should be something close to a coin flip, with the possible exception of Carolina or something.
Wow seriously? 7-10 yielded top 10 picks? I didn’t realize that. Sign me up for that.

I wonder what the Vegas futures are. 3 more wins might be the most likely scenario. Yes the colts mangled things, but that’s what bad teams do and we have a bunch of them left.

Wow seriously? 7-10 yielded top 10 picks? I didn’t realize that. Sign me up for that.

I wonder what the Vegas futures are. 3 more wins might be the most likely scenario. Yes the colts mangled things, but that’s what bad teams do and we have a bunch of them left.

Different season, of course, but I can't see us picking any worse than like 12th. That dude from Penn State coming back might cause us to change our strategy a bit. Just one more good player off the board, and it's further compounded by the fact that he's a player at a position we need. I guess you just have to stick where where the value is (e.g. potentially take a CB in the first and a T in the second).

I could see us falling in love with a player and trading both seconds to get back into the first later on. Tomlin seems to get enamored with guys each draft, especially if they come with a sob story. Not trying to be insensitive, but it's true. Jarvis Jones, Najee Harris, Artie Burns, etc. If they had to raise their siblings or ever walked into a homeless shelter, you can bet they'll be wearing the black and gold.

the claypool trade makes us falling down in the draft order not feel as bad. You can still have a draft that pumps in high amount of talent with picks 12, 34 and 43. 3 top 45 picks after years of only having 1.

I agree. But there end of year schedule is just pathetic. They lucked out (in the wrong way) by having the NFC South as their matchup division, plus played all the 3rd place teams from each division last year which is yielding teams like the Raiders and Colts.

I mean on one hand, I want to see Kenny progress and do well. But on the other...no more than 6 wins please. Already one stud OT is deciding he is staying in school. The Steelers need to pick in the top 15 at the worst.

I agree. But there end of year schedule is just pathetic. They lucked out (in the wrong way) by having the NFC South as their matchup division, plus played all the 3rd place teams from each division last year which is yielding teams like the Raiders and Colts.

I mean on one hand, I want to see Kenny progress and do well. But on the other...no more than 6 wins please. Already one stud OT is deciding he is staying in school. The Steelers need to pick in the top 15 at the worst.

Yep. If it’s a rebuilding season, who cares about wins? I was rooting for KP to have a great game and for the Colts to win it there at the end. They still likely win if not for the fumble between Ryan and Taylor. They maybe still win if Ryan doesn’t go down a yard shy of the marker. And Jeff Saturday has any semblance of an idea about clock management.

Last edited:
I can't be practical and root for losses to get a better draft pick, when I'm watching the game, i treat it like the Super Bowl I want to see a win, and I'd like that damn Kenny to actually throw a couple TD passes, it's like 1930, your team's TD pass leader has THREE :)

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

Most of the places here that put these up have LV season wins at 6.5 around -130 to the over. There is a sentiment that they have massively underachieved but are finally starting to put it together, they do close with SF and KC though so the schedule isn’t easy.

KP needs the experience. He needs to keep progressing. He also needs to win a few games to feel that progression is producing results. I am with the crowd that wants as high a pick as they can get, but I do like to see Kenny get some wins under his belt.

They should have let Mitch play a littler bit longer and kept TJ out a few more weeks. Also, I why was Harris playing with an injured foot? Seems grounds to have him sit as well.

The top of the draft isn't great for the Steelers area of needs, IMO. Though I was hoping they'd be able to trade down and still get their top pick. But as mentioned earlier, the best thing that could happen this year is for Pickett to develop and that will result in some wins and a lower draft slot.

Since this season ended for the Steelers several weeks ago, I generally favored the Steelers losing enough to get the best pick they could. But in the exposure of Monday Night Football (I know, not that it used to be but still the only game of the day)…I was glad to see KP do pretty well (though my heart ached when he missed the TD throw to Pickens) and to have a good late drive to win the game (thanks to Saturday’s clock mismanagement but still). A good night for KP on national TV. Now, time to lose most of the remainder of these local-only 1:00 games coming up…

I think it's a mistake to want the team to lose in order to get a higher draft pick. Losing is a disease. It infects everyone in your building: the coaches, the players, everyone. People let the standard slip. They don't put in the extra effort, they don't develop as well. How have many high draft picks helped the Jets? Or Jaguars?

Draft picks are largely a black box anyway. Picking the best players is an inexact science and there's no guarantee we find that person at 5 versus 11.

I'd rather have a team whose standard is "anything to win" and then pull good players into that culture than "we went 4-13 and this rookie DB needs to win 5 games for us next year because he's supposed to be good."

Reactions: BFo8
The ideal would be for Kenny to keep improving , team plays well- and loses on a last second play each game

It’s weird feeling

Reactions: Team_Pitt_Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT