ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers hit the lottery.

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
I think Kenny Heisman has showed enough to cement himself as their next QB and a franchise one at that. If that is true, the chances of going from one franchise QB to the next in ONE draft with ONE draft pick is quite a rarity. How many teams chase a franchise QB for decades? The Steelers got lucky, statistically speaking. ( Ps. I realize Mitch served a several week interim, but I'd still call it an almost immediate transition)

I think Kenny Heisman has showed enough to cement himself as their next QB and a franchise one at that. If that is true, the chances of going from one franchise QB to the next in ONE draft with ONE draft pick is quite a rarity. How many teams chase a franchise QB for decades? The Steelers got lucky, statistically speaking. ( Ps. I realize Mitch served a several week interim, but I'd still call it an almost immediate transition)
Adam Crowley, yes that Adam Crowley, just listed all the pedigreed NFL minds who are sold on Kenny. The list is already long and getting longer by the day. So your OP is ringing true to me.

Adam Crowley, yes that Adam Crowley, just listed all the pedigreed NFL minds who are sold on Kenny. The list is already long and getting longer by the day. So your OP is ringing true to me.
Btw, anyone looking to listen to good sports talk, go to the Audacy app and listen to the archived Fan morning show from this AM. If you’re a Steeler fan or just a Pickett fan, it’s a good listen. Dorin Dickerson and Adam Crowley were hosting today and they were great.

Dorin- he’s a real steeler cheerleader. It’s profound to me because he grew up here but then played in the league for other rival NFL franchises. But he seems to love the Steelers and obviously is a huge Kenny fan.

Crowley-WVU grad who said “I’m in love with Kenny Pickett”, and praised him over the course of the entire show.

Lots of good stuff today.

Btw, anyone looking to listen to good sports talk, go to the Audacy app and listen to the archived Fan morning show from this AM. If you’re a Steeler fan or just a Pickett fan, it’s a good listen. Dorin Dickerson and Adam Crowley were hosting today and they were great.

Dorin- he’s a real steeler cheerleader. It’s profound to me because he grew up here but then played in the league for other rival NFL franchises. But he seems to love the Steelers and obviously is a huge Kenny fan.

Crowley-WVU grad who said “I’m in love with Kenny Pickett”, and praised him over the course of the entire show.

Lots of good stuff today.
Now, if the Fan would only kick Dunlap & Mack to the curb…

I’m with you. Speaking of Dunlap, I just saw this. I didn’t notice this last night.

Yeah, I remember that sequence in between plays where he mouthed that his headset wasn’t working. I remember laughing to myself, this could be a good thing.

Edit…the one I didn’t realize happened til later was Heyward and Fitzpatrick yelling at each other on the sideline after the Heyward roughing call and subsequent Ravens TD.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah, I remember that sequence in between plays where he mouthed that his headset wasn’t working. I remember laughing to myself, this could be a good thing.

Edit…the one I didn’t realize happened til later was Heyward and Fitzpatrick yelling at each other on the sideline after the Heyward roughing call and subsequent Ravens TD.
The moron refs who made the call in Heyward still deserve to be punished (fired / blacklisted). One of the worst most decimating calls made against a team in such a critical situation in recent memory. That call by itself basically had given the Ravens a victory and ended the Steelers season, right up to the very miraculous end of the game. This ain’t beer league softball, billions of dollars are on the line and these chuckleheads are flinging flags just to get their mugs on TV. Rooney needs to call Goodell on that one, win or not. Our luck though, the ACC would hire the biggest idiots of the crew.

FlcTMQ0X0AE45yS.jpg

Some of the rare examples:

- Packers from Favre to Rodgers.
- 49ers from Montana to Young?

Neither was from one draft after the HOFer retired, though.

Jets wishing they had a better rookie QB since they drafted Joe Namath. You talk about a franchise that has chased QB's, and also has not been to a Super Bowl since before a man walked on the moon.
They rival the Browns in chasing for their next QB.

The Browns keep thinking they have the guy... then they run him out of town..... and now spent $130 million on Deshaun Watson.

And on top of the OP’s post, they drafted him at #20. Some teams will spend multiple top 5 picks on quarterbacks and not hit on any of them (see: Jets).

The offensive line is also looking vastly improved now, to the point where left tackle might be the only position they need to target in the draft. This team might be really good next year with an off-season of development and an actual NFL offensive coordinator.

Kenny has a lot of room to grow, but you have to love his poise and playmaking ability in late-game situations. They are basically playing playoff football right now. The conditions against the Raiders were brutal and Baltimore is one of the toughest places to play.

Where the Steelers have hit the jackpot have been the past few drafts.

1. Trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick, Yeah, that turned out great.
2. Chase Claypool - currently in line to get the 33rd overall pick for him
3. Alex Highsmith - team leader in sacks
4. Kevin Dotson - starting LG and at least an average player for his position

2021 - yes, they needed OL. But they hit on the players they drafted.
1. Najee Harris - It's taken time, but since the bye week he's looked like a late first RB.
2. Pat Freirmuth - productive tight end and probably already one of the top 10 in the league.
4. Dan Moore - He was identified as a project. Yes, he's the weak link on the offensive line, but this line is vastly improved.

1. Kenny Pickett - It's been a process, but he's showing why the Steelers took him in the first.
2. George Pickens - He still needs to develop, but has the playmaking abilities of a true No. 1.
3. DeMarvin Leal - Already a rotational contributor on the defensive line, he's making plays against the run and pass.
6. Connor Heyward - A jack-of-all trades type of player. Good role player to have on a team.

I still hold out hope Isaiahh Loudermilk develops into a solid backup defensive lineman and that Calvin Austin is the playmaker with speed the Steelers are missing. Either way, the Steelers have a lot of young starters at various levels of development. They need to challenge this group and push them forward this offseason.

I'm going to guess that's just a typo, because Watson's contract isn't $130M, it's $230M.

And he cost them three first round draft picks, and a third, and two fourths.
Yep, all those millions and worse yet, a boat load of draft picks. Will be fighting the salary cap plus devoid of draft stock to economically back fill other positions.

WO, WO, WO on all the Pickett is the next franchise quarterback talk. "Super Genius" mark madden says otherwise. You all know mark madden? The guy who doesn't go to games, has never been to a practice and doesn't break down any film. Yes that mark madden.

Ok, all kidding aside, I am hopeful Kenny is the next one. I just hope coach catch phrase isn't lulled into thinking the offense will be fine moving forward. The offensive coordinator needs to be replaced, o-line (tackle and either guard/center) upgraded and another receiver needs to be added to help Kenny grow.

Kenny is such a gamer. When he got the ball those last 2 drives the last 2 games, I was 100% certain he was scoring.

Kenny “small hands” “Heisman” Pickett had me sold from the blowout loss to Penn State. He was the best player on the field for Pitt. His receivers dropped easy balls to kill drives. And the game got out of hand. Not his fault at all. I wished he was in the other locker room after that game. He has that thing successful QBs need - the so called “it” factor. I saw it that night and I followed his career more closely after that night. He didn’t disappoint. I was thrilled he was there for the Steelers to take. And I’m convinced he’s the guy.

Kenny has a lot of room to grow, but you have to love his poise and playmaking ability in late-game situations. They are basically playing playoff football right now. The conditions against the Raiders were brutal and Baltimore is one of the toughest places to play.

Where the Steelers have hit the jackpot have been the past few drafts.

1. Trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick, Yeah, that turned out great.
2. Chase Claypool - currently in line to get the 33rd overall pick for him
3. Alex Highsmith - team leader in sacks
4. Kevin Dotson - starting LG and at least an average player for his position

2021 - yes, they needed OL. But they hit on the players they drafted.
1. Najee Harris - It's taken time, but since the bye week he's looked like a late first RB.
2. Pat Freirmuth - productive tight end and probably already one of the top 10 in the league.
4. Dan Moore - He was identified as a project. Yes, he's the weak link on the offensive line, but this line is vastly improved.

1. Kenny Pickett - It's been a process, but he's showing why the Steelers took him in the first.
2. George Pickens - He still needs to develop, but has the playmaking abilities of a true No. 1.
3. DeMarvin Leal - Already a rotational contributor on the defensive line, he's making plays against the run and pass.
6. Connor Heyward - A jack-of-all trades type of player. Good role player to have on a team.

I still hold out hope Isaiahh Loudermilk develops into a solid backup defensive lineman and that Calvin Austin is the playmaker with speed the Steelers are missing. Either way, the Steelers have a lot of young starters at various levels of development. They need to challenge this group and push them forward this offseason.
Mark Robinson got the start and played well on Sunday night and may also yet become a really good addition from this recent draft

Reactions: jctrack
I just hope he gets a new playbook and different play calling. He could be great if he's not forced to play Stone Age Yinzer/Stillers football. How did Ben end up as 3rd all time in 4th quarter comebacks? Basically, because after the actual offensive game plans failed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, they had nothing else to do but hand him the ball and let him do what he should have been doing the whole game.

WO, WO, WO on all the Pickett is the next franchise quarterback talk. "Super Genius" mark madden says otherwise. You all know mark madden? The guy who doesn't go to games, has never been to a practice and doesn't break down any film. Yes that mark madden.

Ok, all kidding aside, I am hopeful Kenny is the next one. I just hope coach catch phrase isn't lulled into thinking the offense will be fine moving forward. The offensive coordinator needs to be replaced, o-line (tackle and either guard/center) upgraded and another receiver needs to be added to help Kenny grow.
JuJu left for KC, so he needed a new player to hate. Basically he hates anyone Yinzers love, like JuJu and Kenny and nitpicks them to death :)

Is DJ’s contract guaranteed for next year? Would love to see them bring in Boyd as the veteran WR after next year, assuming he could be signed to a reasonable contract. Draft another mid round WR this year and see what you’ve got in Calvin Austin once he’s back healthy.

Is DJ’s contract guaranteed for next year? Would love to see them bring in Boyd as the veteran WR after next year, assuming he could be signed to a reasonable contract. Draft another mid round WR this year and see what you’ve got in Calvin Austin once he’s back healthy.

They can cut him and save $19 million but I doubt they do. They really need weapons on offense and they won't have to extend anyone major in the coming years on offense anyway. They might have the cheapest 11 on offense in the entire NFL.

They need Johnson- he's the only guy who gets open vs man coverage on the whole team.

I love Boyd but he doesn't solve their biggest need at WR, which is a burner who threatens the defense vertically. Austin is that in theory but we've yet to see him play, and the majority of 4th round WRs don't make significant contributions on offense.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
They need Johnson- he's the only guy who gets open vs man coverage on the whole team.

I love Boyd but he doesn't solve their biggest need at WR, which is a burner who threatens the defense vertically. Austin is that in theory but we've yet to see him play, and the majority of 4th round WRs don't make significant contributions on offense.
Austin is a burner who could threaten the defense vertically? I thought he was supposedly a small (short) slot/possession type receiver? Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Doesn’t Pickens fit the bill as a tall athletic WR to threaten the Defense vertically? Maybe not the speediest but still a vertical threat

They could use a good fast route-running receiver……Addison.

Pretty sure there was a year in between before they drafted Luck where they started some bad QBs.

That was the year Peyton was hurt, he never played but was on the Colts roster the entire year.

Also, the Chargers went from Brees to Rivers to Herbert. I'm not a big Rivers fan, but I've read he'll likely make the HOF.

Last edited:
Austin is a burner who could threaten the defense vertically? I thought he was supposedly a small (short) slot/possession type receiver? Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Doesn’t Pickens fit the bill as a tall athletic WR to threaten the Defense vertically? Maybe not the speediest but still a vertical threat

They could use a good fast route-running receiver……Addison.
Addison is hard to gauge. His body doesn’t seem the WR1 ideal, not big or robust enough to warrant a top pick. But he is smooth and makes plays. A modern Lynn Swann? Both USC guys too 😂

I’m hoping to see a complete game from Kenny with a little bigger numbers against the Browns. Something like 250+ with 3 TDs.

Austin is a track guy 4.32 40 time. His comp coming out of the draft was Tyreek Hill. Maybe slot but definitely not possession type.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT