ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers hit the lottery.

WO, WO, WO on all the Pickett is the next franchise quarterback talk. "Super Genius" mark madden says otherwise. You all know mark madden? The guy who doesn't go to games, has never been to a practice and doesn't break down any film. Yes that mark madden.

Ok, all kidding aside, I am hopeful Kenny is the next one. I just hope coach catch phrase isn't lulled into thinking the offense will be fine moving forward. The offensive coordinator needs to be replaced, o-line (tackle and either guard/center) upgraded and another receiver needs to be added to help Kenny grow.
Mark Madden is the laziest sports writer in the nation. He must come really cheap, because that is the only reason anyone would employ him!

So if we hit the lottery with Kenny, and he's going to be a franchise QB, can someone define please define franchise in the context of Kenny's expectations? Is the projection he'll be Ben's equal? Neil O'Donnell level? Andy Dalton? Joe Flacco? Phil Rivers?

What is the projection of this lottery win? I like him, but I'm not ready to slap the franchise description on him just yet.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
So if we hit the lottery with Kenny, and he's going to be a franchise QB, can someone define please define franchise in the context of Kenny's expectations? Is the projection he'll be Ben's equal? Neil O'Donnell level? Andy Dalton? Joe Flacco? Phil Rivers?

What is the projection of this lottery win? I like him, but I'm not ready to slap the franchise description on him just yet.
Well dalton wasn’t a franchise guy - Joe burrow is
Flacco was a franchise and won a SB. Their org likewise lucked into a helluva qb with a late first round pick - and pivoted .
Phil Rivers - I never got the love for this guy from the media -
Lots of stats but always underperformed in the clutch

Kenny has played his best down the clutch as the season progressed . That’s exciting He got better and better
I think a fresh playbook and OC will make this young offeNse far more explosive

Well dalton wasn’t a franchise guy - Joe burrow is
Flacco was a franchise and won a SB. Their org likewise lucked into a helluva qb with a late first round pick - and pivoted .
Phil Rivers - I never got the love for this guy from the media -
Lots of stats but always underperformed in the clutch

Kenny has played his best down the clutch as the season progressed . That’s exciting He got better and better
I think a fresh playbook and OC will make this young offeNse far more explosive

How do you define franchise then? Dalton was the bengals starter for 9 seasons. I'm just trying to understand what the expectation should be - you know - cause we won the lottery.

By the way, Dalton made 3 pro bowls and was ROY.

If you mean hitting the lottery by getting 3 of the numbers on the powerball and winning $3. The man had 7 touch downs and 9 picks. If he doesnt throw three picks vs Miami we are in the playoffs

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If you mean hitting the lottery by getting 3 of the numbers on the powerball and winning $3. The man had 7 touch downs and 9 picks. If he doesnt throw three picks vs Miami we are in the playoffs
BFD. If he had played against the Ravens, we wouldn’t have had Trubiskys 3 picks and we’d be in the playoffs.

What start # was the Miami game for Pickett?

And btw, playoffs are meaningless at this point, unless you want your rookie QB to gain playoff experience.

I'd define "franchise" as in you stop looking for your QB to lead the team. He's the guy, but the results may vary. He is only 1/53rd of the team, though the most important 1/53rd.

KP isn’t the franchise QB yet. He’s essentially where Mac Jones was after last year, maybe a little lower. An improvement in year two and maybe he starts becoming the franchise QB. But look at what happened to Jones in year two. Middling results and likely a decent amount of uncertainty heading into year three.

That was the year Peyton was hurt, he never played but was on the Colts roster the entire year.

Also, the Chargers went from Brees to Rivers to Herbert. I'm not a big Rivers fan, but I've read he'll likely make the HOF.

The Chargers are the ultimate do less with more franchise. To even have a #2 QB in the class like Rivers when the Manning said they'd never play for SD was wild. Then you get to have him, he doesn't make your team look bad when they move on from a HoF like Brees, and then you also luck into Justin Herbert being a QB god when everyone thought he was Granola Ryan Tannehill.

Addison is hard to gauge. His body doesn’t seem the WR1 ideal, not big or robust enough to warrant a top pick. But he is smooth and makes plays. A modern Lynn Swann? Both USC guys too 😂

He's about the same size as Calvin Ridley, Garrett Wilson, and Devonta Smith (listed in order from big to small). I don't think his weight will end up being an issue.

How do you define franchise then? Dalton was the bengals starter for 9 seasons. I'm just trying to understand what the expectation should be - you know - cause we won the lottery.

The bengals released him after 8 years and 0 playoff wins that’s how
He was a rookie of the month , not year

Why does it matter how many Pro Bowls he made? Many years the 5th or 6th best player make the Pro Bowl.

Kenny has a lot of room to grow, but you have to love his poise and playmaking ability in late-game situations. They are basically playing playoff football right now. The conditions against the Raiders were brutal and Baltimore is one of the toughest places to play.

Where the Steelers have hit the jackpot have been the past few drafts.

1. Trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick, Yeah, that turned out great.
2. Chase Claypool - currently in line to get the 33rd overall pick for him
3. Alex Highsmith - team leader in sacks
4. Kevin Dotson - starting LG and at least an average player for his position

2021 - yes, they needed OL. But they hit on the players they drafted.
1. Najee Harris - It's taken time, but since the bye week he's looked like a late first RB.
2. Pat Freirmuth - productive tight end and probably already one of the top 10 in the league.
4. Dan Moore - He was identified as a project. Yes, he's the weak link on the offensive line, but this line is vastly improved.

1. Kenny Pickett - It's been a process, but he's showing why the Steelers took him in the first.
2. George Pickens - He still needs to develop, but has the playmaking abilities of a true No. 1.
3. DeMarvin Leal - Already a rotational contributor on the defensive line, he's making plays against the run and pass.
6. Connor Heyward - A jack-of-all trades type of player. Good role player to have on a team.

I still hold out hope Isaiahh Loudermilk develops into a solid backup defensive lineman and that Calvin Austin is the playmaker with speed the Steelers are missing. Either way, the Steelers have a lot of young starters at various levels of development. They need to challenge this group and push them forward this offseason.

#6 - Mark Robinson will likely be starting next season

Why does it matter how many Pro Bowls he made? Many years the 5th or 6th best player make the Pro Bowl.

As an example, in 2016 (the 2017 game) due to guys not playing in the game there were six AFC Pro Bowl quarterbacks and five in the NFC. The three AFC quarterback who were originally voted to the team were Brady, Roethlisberger and Carr. None of those three actually played in the game. The three guys who played in the game were Dalton, Rivers and Alex Smith.

In 2014 (the 2015 game) there were again 11 total quarterbacks selected (and really, kinda 12) because of drop outs. That was one of the years that they didn't vote by conference, and the six original quarterbacks selected were Brady, Luck, Manning, Romo, Roethlisberger and Rodgers. Romo and Luck were the only two of that group to play. Russell Wilson was picked as a replacement, but he also didn't play. The replacements who did play were Dalton, Ryan, Stafford and Brees. And the 12th player was Joe Flacco, who was asked to play but his wife was pregnant and due to give birth near that time, so he declined the invite. According to an internet search, Dalton was the SEVENTH alternate, which means that he was the 13th quarterback on the list ( see here for details ). Or in other words, the 13th best quarterback in the league that season. And yet a Pro Bowler.

He also made the game as an alternate as a rookie, but there were only four quarterback from each conference that season, so he was the 4th best AFC quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT