ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen A on the Cowboys Keeping McCarthy "They are addicted to being let down"

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
Hmmmm...........McCarthy has about the same record and accomplishments over his career as Mediocre Mike. Wonder if hed say that about the Steelers organization and fans.

Forget the last four years (one of which involved McCarthy inheriting an 8-8 team in his first season). Let's look at the last three:

Cowboys: 36-15
Steelers: 28-22-1

And these dolts at ESPN want to act like McCarthy is a clown and Steelers fans are clueless for even suggesting that Tomlin is underachieving? Lol, ESPN is for morons. Hopefully a new sports network emerges once they go to a streaming format so this idiocy isn't forced on us much longer.

Clearly the standard for Tomlin is not the same as other coaches

There's talk about dumping Siriani

Mike Tomlin is a legend. Just make sure you hand him a team with 5-6 Hall of Famers that basically coaches itself.

Hmmmm...........McCarthy has about the same record and accomplishments over his career as Mediocre Mike. Wonder if hed say that about the Steelers organization and fans.
I can’t imagine he’d ever say that and he’s a huge Steeler fan.

And yeah I’m not filliponi but I was on this board saying this for 3 years. Finally someone with a bigger pulpit than me acknowledges this.

Ah shit. Missed this and just posted it. Do you know how many people here scoffed at me for bringing this up for years and wanting to know why Tomlin is a first ballot HOF coach and McCarthy is a loser? And don’t look at the last 4 years. Look at their entire careers.
🤔hmmmm I have no clue

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Ah shit. Missed this and just posted it. Do you know how many people here scoffed at me for bringing this up for years and wanting to know why Tomlin is a first ballot HOF coach and McCarthy is a loser? And don’t look at the last 4 years. Look at their entire careers.
Exactly 💯

Hey, you stop it! Did you know McCarthy went 7-9 and 6-9-1? Mike Tomlin would have went 8-8 in both of those seasons. That's all that matters. Doesn't matter if McCarty went 12-5 in a year Tomlin would have went 10-7. Two-game differences only matter when it comes to non-losing seasons, baby!

• Haha
Listening to ESPN on my morning drive, a producer on show brought up same point saying they are one in the same and one is celebrated and one is ridiculed. Chris Canty went all out in support on MikeT and said they are nothing alike and basically was saying if you can't see the difference between the two then you just don't understand. Not saying I agree or disagree, but just pointing out a national media figure and former player perspective on this very comparison.

Listening to ESPN on my morning drive, a producer on show brought up same point saying they are one in the same and one is celebrated and one is ridiculed. Chris Canty went all out in support on MikeT and said they are nothing alike and basically was saying if you can't see the difference between the two then you just don't understand. Not saying I agree or disagree, but just pointing out a national media figure and former player perspective on this very comparison.
Crystal clear.........

Mike McCarthy: 42-25 in Dallas. 1 playoff win.
During same 4 year stretch in Pittsburgh…Mike Tomlin is 40-26-1. 0 playoff wins.

Career
167-102-2 0.616 , 11-11 playoffs, 1 superbowl win

181–110–2 0.635 , 8-10 playoffs, 1 superbowl win

absolutely not even close. Its black and white

full

It's hard to argue one is much better than another. But the bottom-line is that they both still have their jobs (for one more year, at least), probably based on the fact that they are pretty good coaches. Yeah these are proud franchises for which "pretty good" might not be good enough, but they're both pretty good.

Reactions: pbrad and Fk_Pitt
one thing to keep in mind, with firing every coach that doesnt go the the conference championship games. and im playing devil's advocate here a bit.

there are only soo many good, proven NFL head coaches out there. At some point, you just cant fire a mccarthy, a vrabel, a belicheck, a tomlin because they are down a few years and expect there to be a better option out there..

again, proven winning HCs in the nfl are sparse. but yeah, with that said, im ready to move on from tomlin lol.

Reactions: Ski11585
one thing to keep in mind, with firing every coach that doesnt go the the conference championship games. and im playing devil's advocate here a bit.

there are only soo many good, proven NFL head coaches out there. At some point, you just cant fire a mccarthy, a vrabel, a belicheck, a tomlin because they are down a few years and expect there to be a better option out there..

again, proven winning HCs in the nfl are sparse. but yeah, with that said, im ready to move on from tomlin lol.
This is absolutely true. But I think most are pointing out the double standard here. Many have said Sully has gone stale in the burgh and he has two cups

The last time the Steelers went this long without winning a playoff game, Jack Ham was a rookie.
Fun fact since 2010. He’s 3-8 in the playoffs missing them 5 years

Wonder why his record in the playoffs has declined since 2010 when he was 5-2 with one superbowl win 🤔

Last edited:
Fun fact since 2010. He’s 3-8 in the playoffs missing them 5 years

Wonder why is record in the playoffs has declined since 2010 when he was 5-2 with one superbowl win
The Denver Broncos haven’t lost a playoff game in 10 years.

The whole group of Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, Harbaugh, and Carroll all have basically the same resume. It is funny to listen to how ESPN views McCarthy vs. Tomlin. Completely different opinions of the two coaches despite one having better career success in the playoffs and a head-to-head win in the Super Bowl.

The whole group of Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, Harbaugh, and Carroll all have basically the same resume. It is funny to listen to how ESPN views McCarthy vs. Tomlin. Completely different opinions of the two coaches despite one having better career success in the playoffs and a head-to-head win in the Super Bowl.
Yeah I used to include payton in my Tomlin/McCarthy discussion. But Payton probably dropped off a bit this year after taking over a bad team.

News flash ESPN talking heads, when a coach takes over a bad team, like McCarthy and Payton have, it will impact their win/loss record. Yet theirs is essentially the same as Tomlin’s and Tomlin never took over a bad team. He took over a Super Bowl team loaded with All Pros and HOF players.

Yeah I used to include payton in my Tomlin/McCarthy discussion. But Payton probably dropped off a bit this year after taking over a bad team.

News flash ESPN talking heads, when a coach takes over a bad team, like McCarthy and Payton have, it will impact their win/loss record. Yet theirs is essentially the same as Tomlin’s and Tomlin never took over a bad team. He took over a Super Bowl team loaded with All Pros and HOF players.
Payton did take a 5-12 Broncos team and brought them to 8-9 and Russell Wilson significantly improved from his 2022 performance. Probably not what they wanted this year, but still a pretty good job with a pretty bad team.

Payton did take a 5-12 Broncos team and brought them to 8-9 and Russell Wilson significantly improved from his 2022 performance. Probably not what they wanted this year, but still a pretty good job with a pretty bad team.
Oh yeah. Totally agree. But my point was that Tomlin picked up a couple games on Payton this year and is a bit further ahead in the overall record. But both records are still statistically similar.
Payton for HOF!!!! He’s a lock! First ballot! Oh wait, that’s not the rhetoric network execs want put out there? Ok never mind then.

Reactions: Burgh15
so now the talking heads who are tomlin apologists on social media are saying that McCarthy's teams are expected to win, tomlin's arent so the mccarthy / tomlin comparisons arent accurate lol..

have to just shake my head and laugh at the lengths these guys go to on defending this clown.

Their results are similar. The biggest difference is McCarthy is white and comes off as milquetoast and Tomlin is black and comes off as being cool and having flair.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
so now the talking heads who are tomlin apologists on social media are saying that McCarthy's teams are expected to win, tomlin's arent so the mccarthy / tomlin comparisons arent accurate lol..

have to just shake my head and laugh at the lengths these guys go to on defending this clown.
It’s all mental gymnastics. If ownership closely managed Tomlin’s media availability to 5 minutes here and there due to obvious cognitive decline, and he got lost entering and exiting stages and shakes hands with ghosts as he exits press rooms and football fields, they’d still think that a substandard record of performance was actually great and proclaim that Tomlinomics have been stellar for Steeler nation.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
They are very similar. Both will make poor coaching decisions that will cost them a game against an underdog team. Both will beat a team they shouldn't. Both are good, not great coaches.

News flash ESPN talking heads, when a coach takes over a bad team, like McCarthy and Payton have, it will impact their win/loss record.

McCarthy took over a Dallas team that went 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8 in the three years before he got there, and they went 6-10 his first year.

In Green Bay he took over a team that went 10-6, 10-6 and then 6-10 in Aaron Rodgers' first year as a starter.

How was either of those an instance of taking over a bad team?

For the record, none of which is to say that McCarthy is a bad coach or should be fired or anything like that.

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT