ADVERTISEMENT

Still Depressed over Olympic Results

Dallas Burgher

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
Can someone explain the me why we were so horrible? I really expected multiple gold medals.

I can’t explain it, but it was bad. Without Russia being there, it was almost incomprehensibly bad. Age, I think, was part of it Kyle Dake is 33; I believe both Retherford and Snyder are older. How did Retherford make the team? He was outclassed in both of his matches. I know the reduction in weight classes meant some guys (like him) had to cut weight, but I assume he was at that weight for the trials. He was absolutely overwhelmed. I don’t know how much, if any, of it was coaching because the coaches don’t select the team.

I don’t remember Japan ever being a world power until the last Olympics, but they now have surpassed us. So has Iran, which has been good for awhile.

Thank goodness for the women, with 2 golds, a silver and a bronze in 5 weight classes. Overall, women won 26 of the 40 US gold medals.

Reactions: jctrack
Not as bad as one may think.

Spencer looked great and lost to the guy everyone thought would be his toughest test

Zain lost/had concussion disappointing sure but a bronze would have been very lucky. He was not expected to medal

Dake losing was tough and I agree he had higher hopes. However he lost to a guy he beat in the final seconds earlier at worlds

Brooks medaling was above/met expectations. Gold was definitely a possibility but certainly not an overwhelming favorite

Snyder lost to the guy who beat him at worlds and lost the medal match to another guy he already has lost too

Parris medaling was a possibility but I don’t think anyone ever thought gold was in his sights. Disappointing but wasn’t winning next round even if he did win but at least possibility of getting a bronze

The lack of Russians was kind of misleading too. Snyder lost to a Russian and there were many other Russians in the field

IMO the biggest issue for Brooks was his lack of senior level FS experience

The weight cut for Zain is brutal and he suffered a concussion a few weeks before the Olympics that didn't help and 65kg is absolutely stacked.

Dake is getting older and 74kg is tough for him to make and maintain, he looked gassed in a couple of matches and I have never seen that from him before.

I can’t explain it, but it was bad. Without Russia being there, it was almost incomprehensibly bad. Age, I think, was part of it Kyle Dake is 33; I believe both Retherford and Snyder are older. How did Retherford make the team? He was outclassed in both of his matches. I know the reduction in weight classes meant some guys (like him) had to cut weight, but I assume he was at that weight for the trials. He was absolutely overwhelmed. I don’t know how much, if any, of it was coaching because the coaches don’t select the team.

I don’t remember Japan ever being a world power until the last Olympics, but they now have surpassed us. So has Iran, which has been good for awhile.

Thank goodness for the women, with 2 golds, a silver and a bronze in 5 weight classes. Overall, women won 26 of the 40 US gold medals.
This dude always has the most negative takes lol. First off, Zain made the team because he won the trials.. Also, he lost to world #1 right off the bat and was forced to withdrawal due to a head injury. Dake, Spencer, brooks, and Snyder all bringing home medals in tough weight classes was nice, although no golds was disappointing.

Another point with brooks is he was the beneficiary of a controversial singlet grab point or he would not have even been the USA rep at his weight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT