ADVERTISEMENT

Still hoping for that point guard

Do you guys think that Capel doesn’t even want another player?
I think he wants another player, but I think he is hoping to strike gold with a late reclass. I think that is not necessary. With only two scholarships to fill (at this point), I feel he will have no problem filing them with equal players next early period.

What purpose does another big serve at this time? Another wing?

Our bigs don't need to be replaced or have more competition Now. Same goes for the wings.

We need another guard, an experienced guard.

Drew1208 said:

I wouldn't want a Ndir. If you can't shoot i wouldn't want you on this squad rn. Id pass on a player like him.

And honestly i take a legit 2 guard who could shoot over any other type if guard. That'd actually give us more flexibility.
[/quote]
Well sure- except so would just about every team. I doubt a legit 2 guard who can shoot and is a given to be an ACC level
player is going to be available. I think a Murphy or N’Dir type player could be- flawed but maybe worth a flyer to add depth.

Yes - the guard that can't shoot transferred to Michigan

This guard averaged 8.5 ppg at Minnesota his first year. At Iona, he was a stat stuffer.
Four assists per game, outstanding turnovEr ratio, good free throw shooter.
Do you know if he had any interest in coming to Pitt at all?

I also think a lot of this concern discounts Drumgoole as a potential fourth guard. They recruited him to fill that role.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

This guard averaged 8.5 ppg at Minnesota his first year. At Iona, he was a stat stuffer.

And I offered you a bet regarding that Purdue guard. If you're confident he'll produce, take my bet.

I think he'll never be heard from again. A guard who shoots <50% from the FT line is a waste.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Any good ones, though?
We are a little late in the process now, but in the last two weeks some became available.

There were numerous players previously available that could have helped.

Amazingly some on here think we should be getting someone who scored 25 per game at a mid major or 15 at a power 5 (as our third guard) while others think our only possibility is Boykins like.

How about something in the middle?

No - My point is that there are players out there

So far you have pointed out two players out there, neither of whom were known to have any interest in Pitt at all, one of which would not be any better than our walk on point guard. I'm not sure this helps make your case.

We are a little late in the process now, but in the last two weeks some became available.

There were numerous players previously available that could have helped.

Amazingly some on here think we should be getting someone who scored 25 per game at a mid major or 15 at a power 5 (as our third guard) while others think our only possibility is Boykins like.

How about something in the middle?

How do you know they didn’t try? And I mean that seriously, no snark. I don’t think everything is public knowledge. And it’s quite possible they did inquire with some kids and were told early on thanks but no thanks. As others have said there has to be interest. Kids are usually transferring for more opportunity and that kind of time just isn’t available as it stands.

I'm not picking on you, but I think Michigan could have taken that guy for a completely different reason than on the court production. Seems to me that if you can get a 3 year starter in your conference to come play for you for minimal minutes that would be a good thing. He knows what teams are trying to do/run & how to be successful against teams & what doesn't work against teams. He would also know what's been a successful strategy against Michigan as well. Almost like another coach, especially since he was a PG.

Do you guys think that Capel doesn’t even want another player?
And honestly i take a legit 2 guard who could shoot over any other type if guard. That'd actually give us more flexibility.
Well sure- except so would just about every team. I doubt a legit 2 guard who can shoot and is a given to be an ACC level
player is going to be available. I think a Murphy or N’Dir type player could be- flawed but maybe worth a flyer to add depth.[/QUOTE]

Both N'Dir and Murphy were promised and got more than a very small number of minutes. N'Dir averaged 20.2 min/game and Murphy 24.5 min/game.

IMHO, this time around no player of this type (a third 1 or 2 guard) could be promised more than 10 minutes (at the very maximum) because the style of play/roster use is going to be changed significantly IMHO (at least by seasons's end) as Pitt becomes a less ball-handling guard focused team.

Last season Toney averaged 30.3 minutes and Champagnie 32.9 minutes. Much of Toney's minutes were playing as a power forward, a 4 (out of necessity) because we were so thin on decent big men. IMHO, Toney's minutes as a 4 will diminish as the season progresses and Hugley (and maybe Collier) gain more minutes. Given that Toney is too talented to not get at least 25 or more minutes he will have to pick up minutes at the wing or at the 2-guard.

Here is a WAG on a possible distribution of game minutes in games played at the tail end of the season presuming the newcomers develop:

Note: This wild guess is neither for the distribution of minutes early in the season nor the average for the full season. Rather, it is a wild guess on how it might look in games once the freshmen are playing like sophomores at the end of the season (Drumgoole and walk-on minutes were not considered).

Center (5) --- Hugley 12, Brown 12, Coulibaly 12, Amadasun 4
Forward (4)--- Hugley 12, Toney 12, Coulibaly 8, Collier 8
Forward (3)--- Champagnie 30, Jeffress 6, Toney 4
Guard (2) --- Horton 25, Toney 9, Jeffress 4, Odukale 2
Guard (1) --- Johnson 30, Horton 5, Odukale 5

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

Note: F
or those who argue that having 8 players averaging 10 or more minutes per game--check Duke's stats for last season---10 guys averaged over 10 minutes per game and only one guy got over 30 minutes per game (Tre Jones). Capel may be trending in that direction as he loads up on quality depth.

So far you have pointed out two players out there, neither of whom were known to have any interest in Pitt at all, one of which would not be any better than our walk on point guard. I'm not sure this helps make your case.
Maybe it would help if Pitt expressed interest.

Capel hasn't expressed any interest in any of them. That is the problem.

Kinda hard to buy a card if you never look for one.

As of last night, verbal commits lists 14 grad transfer points I think can help us.

Aiken - Harvard - pre season 1st team (listing that follow all pre season)
Smith - Columbia - 2nd team
Hardy - UNLV - 2nd team
Perry - Louis
Bolden - S.Caro
Gage - DePaul
Mintz - Creighton
Porter - Utah St
Biggs - Hawaii
Ertel - La Monroe - 2nd team
Gomez - Cal Northridge - 1st team
Ross - Ala St - 1st team
Champion - Loyola Md
Thomas - N. Illinois

I have not looked at SGs who could be combos

Brown is the only senior on our team. We need "known" scholarships to give in 2021, not scholarships that "could" open with attrition.

Maybe it would help if Pitt expressed interest.

Capel hasn't expressed any interest in any of them. That is the problem.

Kinda hard to buy a card if you never look for one.

On what solid information are you basing your assumption that Capel has not pursed a PG? Seems rather unfounded.

On what solid information are you basing your assumption that Capel has not pursed a PG? Seems rather unfounded.
We heard Pitt contacted one from George Mason. We heard that O'Toole talked to his god son.

Maybe there were others, but clearly not a big push.

We heard Pitt contacted one from George Mason. We heard that O'Toole talked to his god son.

Maybe there were others, but clearly not a big push.

Perhaps Capel knows something you don't--like how good he expects Horton and Odukale will/would be as back-up point guards. Assuming so--the only question would be how to backfill at the 2 guard if Horton had to be the primary point. IMHO, given all the wings we have who are capable of playing the 2 or the 3 that shouldn't be a problem.

Bottom line--if Capel isn't worried, I am not going to be worried.

First off a pg performance is highly dependent upon whom he plays with . Last season both X and Trey played under the assumption that were needed to lead the team and that put undo pressure on both
of them . IMO neither one of them had anywhere near the kind of season that was expected of them . I’m not missing Trey next season because I’m hoping all the hype about Horton is for real , I see no reason for the hype if it’s not legitimate . I think the roster is much improved over last seasons and I do believe that there’s enough talent at pg unless there’s an injury to X . There’s also enough talent that X can played more relaxed than he did last season .
Adding a great grad transfer pg would be wonderful , but why would he come to Pitt under the current circumstances ? Even an above average guy is not choosing to come here and play 8 minutes a game . I see no point in adding anyone to fill the roster unless he can make an instant impact or a sit out a yr transfer whose special.

And I offered you a bet regarding that Purdue guard. If you're confident he'll produce, take my bet.

I think he'll never be heard from again. A guard who shoots <50% from the FT line is a waste.

Junior Brandin Knight says hello.

Watched this game. On TV against 18-2 MSU the other night:

25 mins 12 points. 11 Rebs. 2 assists. 0 turnovers. Excellent defense

The kid can play for me.

https://purduesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2018-19/michigan-state/boxscore/53570

I watched this game on TV against #8 FSU the other night:

11 points on 5-6 shooting, 3 rebounds, a block, 0 turnovers and only 1 foul given. Excellent defense.

The kid can play for me.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401168528

Let it Gee-oooowwwww!!

Reactions: jctrack
player is going to be available. I think a Murphy or N’Dir type player could be- flawed but maybe worth a flyer to add depth.

Both N'Dir and Murphy were promised and got more than a very small number of minutes. N'Dir averaged 20.2 min/game and Murphy 24.5 min/game.

IMHO, this time around no player of this type (a third 1 or 2 guard) could be promised more than 10 minutes (at the very maximum) because the style of play/roster use is going to be changed significantly IMHO (at least by seasons's end) as Pitt becomes a less ball-handling guard focused team.

Last season Toney averaged 30.3 minutes and Champagnie 32.9 minutes. Much of Toney's minutes were playing as a power forward, a 4 (out of necessity) because we were so thin on decent big men. IMHO, Toney's minutes as a 4 will diminish as the season progresses and Hugley (and maybe Collier) gain more minutes. Given that Toney is too talented to not get at least 25 or more minutes he will have to pick up minutes at the wing or at the 2-guard.

Here is a WAG on a possible distribution of game minutes in games played at the tail end of the season presuming the newcomers develop:

Note: This wild guess is neither for the distribution of minutes early in the season nor the average for the full season. Rather, it is a wild guess on how it might look in games once the freshmen are playing like sophomores at the end of the season (Drumgoole and walk-on minutes were not considered).

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

or those who argue that having 8 players averaging 10 or more minutes per game--check Duke's stats for last season---10 guys averaged over 10 minutes per game and only one guy got over 30 minutes per game (Tre Jones). Capel may be trending in that direction as he loads up on quality depth.[/QUOTE]
Toney gets some 2 guard

Reactions: rickey643
Watched this game. On TV against 18-2 MSU the other night:

25 mins 12 points. 11 Rebs. 2 assists. 0 turnovers. Excellent defense

The kid can play for me.

https://purduesports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2018-19/michigan-state/boxscore/53570

Maybe you should have watched a few more. For instance their last game of the season this past year, against Rutgers, when he played 30 minutes and scored 0 points on 0-4 from the field. Or maybe their game late in the season against Indiana, when he played 33 minutes and scored 2 points. Or that game against Ohio State when he again scored 0 points, that time in 25 minutes. He also had another a three game stretch in the middle of the conference season where he went off for a total of 4 points combined in 70 minutes.

They played 20 conference games this past season. He scored 0 or 2 points in exactly half of them. If you count the 2 he had against Virginia, the 0 he had against Florida State and the 2 that he had against Marquette he actually ended up with more games against P6 opponents where he scored 2 or less than he scored 3 or more. To put it mildly, that's awful.

Pass. Hard pass.

Maybe you should have watched a few more. For instance their last game of the season this past year, against Rutgers, when he played 30 minutes and scored 0 points on 0-4 from the field. Or maybe their game late in the season against Indiana, when he played 33 minutes and scored 2 points. Or that game against Ohio State when he again scored 0 points, that time in 25 minutes. He also had another a three game stretch in the middle of the conference season where he went off for a total of 4 points combined in 70 minutes.

They played 20 conference games this past season. He scored 0 or 2 points in exactly half of them. If you count the 2 he had against Virginia, the 0 he had against Florida State and the 2 that he had against Marquette he actually ended up with more games against P6 opponents where he scored 2 or less than he scored 3 or more. To put it mildly, that's awful.

Pass. Hard pass.

But.... Michigan!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ing-to-michigan-after-being-denied-admission/

Purdue transfer Nojel Eastern no longer heading to Michigan after being denied admission

95e67b35ad67aa897fb2a362383eb56b.jpg

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

or those who argue that having 8 players averaging 10 or more minutes per game--check Duke's stats for last season---10 guys averaged over 10 minutes per game and only one guy got over 30 minutes per game (Tre Jones). Capel may be trending in that direction as he loads up on quality depth.
Toney gets some 2 guard[/QUOTE]
Diese will be better at 25 minutes at SF.

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

Fwiw, I think Femi will see more than just 7 minutes a game.

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

Breakdown by Player:

Johnson 30
Horton 30
Champagnie 30
Toney 25
Hugley 24
Coulibaly 20
Brown 12
Jeffress 10
Collier 8
Odukale 7
Amadasun 4
Drumgoole 0
Walk-ons 0

I generally agree w where you are going w this, but Champ played more 4 last year and will this upcoming season.

Femi is likely the biggest factor limiting a grad transfer at guard.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Toney doesn't have enough handle to play the 2 spot so he can't get his own shot so I disagree with anyone that says he will play the two. Other guys even the younger ones can handle the ball better and can probably get their own shot because of it and Toney doesn't even have that style of game IMHO.
Toney gets some 2 guard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT