ADVERTISEMENT

STOP THE FLOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I think I almost had a stroke on that last flop by Dickinson. I would seriously pay money to the NCAA to get the block rule out of basketball. Well, keep the rule but if you fall, the foul is on you. They are tricking the refs by falling. And if they fall, 9 times out of 10 a block is called. That isnt good basketball. Nobody wants to see that. People complain about soccer. This is worse than soccer guys. I honestly mean that. The flopping I cant take anymore and I WATCH SOCCER

I’d make the close block/charges no call, then it would reduce the flopping. Hinson had a “block” earlier where i swear his feet were set over a full second.

Reactions: sonofabit
I think they need to change the rule so that it's only an offensive foul if the offensive player fall over along with the defender (proving that the offensive player is out of control). If the offensive player stays on his feet and keeps his balance, he should not be called for the foul.

I guess if you do change the rule like that, savvy players flopping will try and grab and clutch and pull the offensive player down with them, but I think refs will be able to identify grabbing like that.

I think they need to change the rule so that it's only an offensive foul if the offensive player fall over along with the defender (proving that the offensive player is out of control). If the offensive player stays on his feet and keeps his balance, he should not be called for the foul.

I guess if you do change the rule like that, savvy players flopping will try and grab and clutch and pull the offensive player down with them, but I think refs will be able to identify grabbing like that.

Agree on if the offensive player falls. I
mean lets be really honest here. These defensive players are cheating and are being taught to cheat. They arent really being knocked over. The flopping they are doing is allowed by rule so I dont blame them but why are we teaching players to flop? They should be taught to stay on their feet and play defense. If the defender is charging into them, the ref is allowed to call a charge without the player falling down.

Crispin sounding like SMF. That flop by VCU is viral-worthy. Luckily, it wasnt called. That is blatant cheating and should have been T'd up. I'm telling you guys flopping in soccer is nowhere near as bad as college basketball

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Crispin sounding like SMF. That flop by VCU is viral-worthy. Luckily, it wasnt called. That is blatant cheating and should have been T'd up. I'm telling you guys flopping in soccer is nowhere near as bad as college basketball

That was just about the funniest flop ever. It was like the dude was on a diving board and was getting a good spring to go into the pool.

And yet no call. If you are going to have that rule (it's a dumb one), then you simply have to call that.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
That was just about the funniest flop ever. It was like the dude was on a diving board and was getting a good spring to go into the pool.

And yet no call. If you are going to have that rule (it's a dumb one), then you simply have to call that.

Is that really a rule? I know they were talking about it but I thought only the kick your leg out on a 3 or the head bob flop while dribbling were approved? Or am I wrong on the head bob?

If the "take a charge" flop is a T and they arent calling these, I'll be even more pissed. They need to take blocks, where the defender falls completely out of the game. Teach these players to stay on their feet and play defense. If the player charges into them, the ref is absolutely able to call a charge even if the player doesnt fall.

Is that really a rule? I know they were talking about it but I thought only the kick your leg out on a 3 or the head bob flop while dribbling were approved? Or am I wrong on the head bob?

If the "take a charge" flop is a T and they arent calling these, I'll be even more pissed. They need to take blocks, where the defender falls completely out of the game. Teach these players to stay on their feet and play defense. If the player charges into them, the ref is absolutely able to call a charge even if the player doesnt fall.

The rule used to be that the first time a guy flopped it was a warning and the second time was a technical foul. They changed that this year. No more warnings. If you flop it's a technical.

But there might be an "acting like you are in the NCAA 3 meter dive competition" exception to the rule, because that's the only way that VCU dude shouldn't have been called for one last night.

The rule used to be that the first time a guy flopped it was a warning and the second time was a technical foul. They changed that this year. No more warnings. If you flop it's a technical.

But there might be an "acting like you are in the NCAA 3 meter dive competition" exception to the rule, because that's the only way that VCU dude shouldn't have been called for one last night.

I am guessing that the take a charge flop is unofficially exempt because I've never seen it called. I know we ask a lot of refs but I feel like they need to be able to decipher whether a 6'0 guard dribbling into a 6'8 forward is really creating enough force to force the bigger player to fall. I would guarantee you that if they did some type of experimental rule where falling/flopping resulted in a foul on automatic foul on the flopper, "take a charge's" would be reduced by close to 100%. I dont know why basketball people dont make more of an effort to get that out of the game. The game needs more exciting plays, plays at the rim. We dont want to see a guy, slide his feet over to get run over by the dribbler. Defend him or block the shot.

I am guessing that the take a charge flop is unofficially exempt because I've never seen it called. I know we ask a lot of refs but I feel like they need to be able to decipher whether a 6'0 guard dribbling into a 6'8 forward is really creating enough force to force the bigger player to fall. I would guarantee you that if they did some type of experimental rule where falling/flopping resulted in a foul on automatic foul on the flopper, "take a charge's" would be reduced by close to 100%. I dont know why basketball people dont make more of an effort to get that out of the game. The game needs more exciting plays, plays at the rim. We dont want to see a guy, slide his feet over to get run over by the dribbler. Defend him or block the shot.

Well a lot of times there IS contact on the block/charge flop. And if there is contact they are a lot less likely to call a flop, unless it is completely egregious.

The one and only rule that needs changed is that instead of off ball defenders not being able to draw a charge inside the little arc, the rule should be that off ball defenders cannot draw charges at all. If you are coming from off the ball try to block the shot. No more stepping in on the guy with the ball after he beats his man off the dribble. If there is contact it's either a blocking foul or a no call.

Well a lot of times there IS contact on the block/charge flop. And if there is contact they are a lot less likely to call a flop, unless it is completely egregious.

The one and only rule that needs changed is that instead of off ball defenders not being able to draw a charge inside the little arc, the rule should be that off ball defenders cannot draw charges at all. If you are coming from off the ball try to block the shot. No more stepping in on the guy with the ball after he beats his man off the dribble. If there is contact it's either a blocking foul or a no call.

I could get on board with no charges allowed on off ball defenders. I'll take anything I can get. I realize there is SOME contact on all these charges but its almost never enough to warrant a fall. The fall is what baits the ref into calling it. This is why I say if you tell players that they cannot fall or else its a foul, they will remain on their feet and have to play defense which is better for the game. In the rare instances where offensive players knowing this start ramming into defensive players causing them to legitimately fall, I will not lose sleep over those still being called on the defense. Get stronger and stay on your feet.

Terrible charge called on Hinson. Total flop by the NC State dude. I cannot stand all this flopping. Its 100% worse in college basketball than soccer.

Reactions: Pittnerski
HOLY SHIT was that a flop. That might have been the worst flop I've ever seen. How is that not a technical foul? He was falling before Elliot made contact with him and the contact he made was ever so slight.

Do these people hate college basketball this much? And some of you guys make fun of soccer. Its nothing like college basketball

Reactions: Pittnerski
Terrible charge called on Hinson. Total flop by the NC State dude. I cannot stand all this flopping. Its 100% worse in college basketball than soccer.
That call was 50-50 as
I saw it. At first I was
sure it was a foul on
the defender. They
showed it again later.
Often, if you get past
the defender laterally it's
his foull even if the
defender was at a
standstill. I think they
called it on Hinson due
to the fact that he may
have initiated the contact.
Again 50-50 call. That's a
hard call for the ref to make,
but then.....that's why they
call it home court advaantage.

BTW....I guarantee Pitt fans
saw it as a foul on the D,
while NC ST fans saw it
as a charge.

Last edited:
That call was 50-50 as
I saw it. At first I was
sure it was a foul on
the defender. They
showed it again later.
Often, if you get past
the defender laterally it's
his foull even if the
defender was at a
standstill. I think they
called it on Hinson due
to the fact that he may
have initiated the contact.
Again 50-50 call. That's a
had call for the ref to make,
but then.....that's why they
call it home court advaantage.

BTW....I guarantee Pitt fans
saw it as a foul on the D,
while NC ST fans saw it
as a charge.

If you fall to try to trick the ref, its a flop and you should be T'd up. These guys are falling too easily. Stay on your feet and you can still draw a charge

If you fall to try to trick the ref, its a flop and you should be T'd up. These guys are falling too easily. Stay on your feet and you can still draw a charge
Of course, but that one
wasn't a flop. I'm talking
about the 50-50 charge
against Hinson. I saw it as
a foul, but on NC ST, not
Hinson. The flop was on
another play.

If you need to plant your feet to get a charge it seems many defenders keep their feet planted after contact to emphasize that fact. Physics says they're gonna fall.

Reactions: gilligan 3
Flop city in the WVU Xavier game. Touissant leading the way. Penalize the player but keep the posession unchanged if so be It. Refs still can’t get it right when a player is running side by side and then flops without planting and…wah lah…an Offensive foul. Disgusting how theatrics is taking over a great game. Unwatchable anymore.

If you need to plant your feet to get a charge it seems many defenders keep their feet planted after contact to emphasize that fact. Physics says they're gonna fall.
This is exactly right. The "keep your feet planted" part is what leads to the theatrics. That's why I think the rule should be changed to focus on the offensive player. If he remains under control despite the contact, then it's not an offensive foul. I get that is still a judgment call for refs, so this fix isn't perfect, but I think it would help clean up the game a bit.

This is exactly right. The "keep your feet planted" part is what leads to the theatrics. That's why I think the rule should be changed to focus on the offensive player. If he remains under control despite the contact, then it's not an offensive foul. I get that is still a judgment call for refs, so this fix isn't perfect, but I think it would help clean up the game a bit.

It has gotten so bad, I think they need to overcorrect it by whistling an automatic defensive foul if the player falls. 99.9% of falls are done to trick the ref. If you put that rule in, players will no longer fall and then refs can decide if the offensive contact is enough to warrant a charge. They still can call a charge if the player doesn't fall. I mean we are seriously talking about falling as a defensive strategy in a sport. And some of you knock soccer. Beating a guy to a spot to get run over isnt sports. Nobody wants to see that. The worst I saw this year was Hunter Dickinson taking a charge against Hinson. The dude is 7 feet tall. Block the shot! Nobody wants to see you pretend like you were hit by sniper fire when a guy 4 inches smaller dribbles the small slightly into you.

Reactions: sonofabit
Adding one judgement call
on top of another judgement
call will only complicate an
already complicated situation.
That's where it is right now
with the flopping rule. The
ref already has to figure out
whether the D player was
there first, was he standing
still, did he lean into the
offensive player, was the O
player past the D player
on the side (laterally). It's
a quick, Bang-Bang situation
that often depends on the
visual angle of the ref. Now
the ref has to distinguish a
realistic fall from a fake fall.
Too much info to process
IMO. how about the punter
in football. I see punters
fake real contact all the
time. Do they get flagged?

Adding one judgement call
on top of another judgement
call will only complicate an
already complicated situation.
That's where it is right now
with the flopping rule. The
ref already has to figure out
whether the D player was
there first, was he standing
still, did he lean into the
offensive player, was the O
player past the D player
on the side (laterally). It's
a quick, Bang-Bang situation
that often depends on the
visual angle of the ref. Now
the ref has to distinguish a
realistic fall from a fake fall.
Too much info to process
IMO. how about the punter
in football. I see punters
fake real contact all the
time. Do they get flagged?

Which is why I say if you fall, it should be a defensive foul. That makes it easy. Players will stop falling.

Which is why I say if you fall, it should be a defensive foul. That makes it easy. Players will stop falling.
Ok, so one of our twins
comes on to the floor
and is on D, He has inside
position against NC ST's
Burns, 6'9" 275 lb. As
Burns drives through
him, Diaz is knocked to
the floor. So therefore,
as you would have it, the
foul is on Diaz. Yup, just
like you said above, "that
makes it easy." That type
of play is always difficult.
That's why it's called a
judgement call. Of course
your over simplification
is the correct solution.

Suggestion, stick to soccer.
BTW, I'm not so sure you
even know soccer. It's just
that most of us on here,
including myself, don't
know or understand that
sport.

Ok, so one of our twins
comes on to the floor
and is on D, He has inside
position against NC ST's
Burns, 6'9" 275 lb. As
Burns drives through
him, Diaz is knocked to
the floor. So therefore,
as you would have it, the
foul is on Diaz. Yup, just
like you said above, "that
makes it easy." That type
of play is always difficult.
That's why it's called a
judgement call. Of course
your over simplification
is the correct solution.

Suggestion, stick to soccer.
BTW, I'm not so sure you
even know soccer. It's just
that most of us on here,
including myself, don't
know or understand that
sport.

Yes. Because Diaz-Graham would be coached to play defense on Burns instead of standing there hoping he runs him over. The offensive player should be given the advantage. Although Burns is fat and Diaz-Graham is skinny, Burns isnt able to cause Diaz-Graham to fall unless Diaz-Graham tries to fall. The only way Burns would be cause him to fall is the rare play where a fat guy like that is on a fast break and goes barreling into Diaz-Graham. And in that case, Diaz-Graham should be coached to block the shot instead of just getting in his way.

Any way you want to look at it, we have an epidemic of flopping in college basketball. I believe the rules are similar in the NBA but you dont see flopping in the NBA. Why? Maybe millionaires just dont want to take charges? Either way its a more offensive-friendly brand of basketball. I hate that these guys are falling to trick the ref and then everyone's like "great play." It is cheating and it needs taken out.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ok. tell ya what. I agree
with you that we have too
much "flopping in college
bassketball." An "epidemic?"
Well......

Now, your explanation
and example in the first
part is IMO way off. No
need to respond, you
see it one way, I see it
another, and that's ok too.

Flopping for football subscriptions or to slow down an offense doesn't upset me as much as basketball flopping for some reason.
Yeah well NFL stupidity has hit the World Cup and it’s annoying as hell.

Why wasn't that a T????? The Miami dude flopped, no call. If you dont call a charge, it has to be a T

I watched a bit of the Alabama blowout today, and there was a flop tech called, the announcers made it sound as if there was another called earlier, so maybe it's going to start getting enforced a little more.

Great win for the players
and coaches, and this is
where your head is? Hit
the john and take your
own flop.

That was during the game so yea. I cant take the flopping. Something needs to be done. The call before that on Burton was also a flop by the Miami player

ADVERTISEMENT