ADVERTISEMENT

Student Sections Attendance/Capacity

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I was wondering how many students go to Pitt games, and what is the "student" ticket capacity. Which then got me wondering, what is it at other schools.

I found out that Texas A&M might have the largest student section. Supposedly they sell 36,000 student tickets which is absurd. That is more than a third of their capacity. Christ, that is as many students as Pitt has undergrad.

We all know Penn State has a huge student section, Supposedly they have sold like 22,000 student ticket requests for their white outs. They are always ranked among the best, but I am not sure actually how many there are.

Florida student section is about 22-24K Ohio State, LSU also gets high marks. I just read Tennessee maybe has 15K?

Just wondering if people know or if there is more published information or lists. There are "opinion" lists meaning different sites opinions on the best student sections, qualitative information. I have not seen one with actual qualitative data saying you know, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 list.....with corresponding student ticket attendance and sales.

I was wondering how many students go to Pitt games, and what is the "student" ticket capacity. Which then got me wondering, what is it at other schools.

I found out that Texas A&M might have the largest student section. Supposedly they sell 36,000 student tickets which is absurd. That is more than a third of their capacity. Christ, that is as many students as Pitt has undergrad.

We all know Penn State has a huge student section, Supposedly they have sold like 22,000 student ticket requests for their white outs. They are always ranked among the best, but I am not sure actually how many there are.

Florida student section is about 22-24K Ohio State, LSU also gets high marks. I just read Tennessee maybe has 15K?

Just wondering if people know or if there is more published information or lists. There are "opinion" lists meaning different sites opinions on the best student sections, qualitative information. I have not seen one with actual qualitative data saying you know, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 list.....with corresponding student ticket attendance and sales.
I believe Pitt's is somewhere around 10K. However, at least half of those are in the upper deck and are only filled for PSU, WVU, ND.....or the once a decade event game like Clemson

I believe Pitt's is somewhere around 10K. However, at least half of those are in the upper deck and are only filled for PSU, WVU, ND.....or the once a decade event game like Clemson
I guess one of my points here.....is.....there just aren't that many Pitt fans. Active ones at least. That is not my entire point, because I believe the student involvement lately (football) has maybe been the best it has ever been. But my god, 40,000 student tickets at A&M?? I saw they have an enrollment of almost 75,000, 59K undergrad. How big is that place???

I guess one of my points here.....is.....there just aren't that many Pitt fans. Active ones at least. That is not my entire point, because I believe the student involvement lately (football) has maybe been the best it has ever been. But my god, 40,000 student tickets at A&M?? I saw they have an enrollment of almost 75,000, 59K undergrad. How big is that place???
We have talked about this many times. Pitt has many disadvantages:

- its undergraduate enrollment is on the lower end of P5 public schools.

- college teams in pro markets don't develop the same type of rabid fanbases. Citizens in these towns, even the alums of the P5 team, don't live and die with the college team like they do at the land grant state schools. Its a cultural thing. As WVUinColumbus calls it: "red state football." Schools in rural areas value football more.

Yeah but what else is there to do for students in College Station besides watch the tumbleweed blow on by?

12,500 student season tickets sold

They sell so many season tickets to students that a friend's son is a freshman up there this year and as a freshman he was not even eligible to put in an application to try to get tickets.

We have too many uneducated and unemployed fans like you. Sit on a message board 12 hours a day yet don’t give one penny to Pitt. You are the scum of the earth..
How do you know? This is your first post. I cant believe after 10+ years, you still create fake accounts to reply to my posts.

12,500 student season tickets sold
That is a big increase from the old alottment. That said, they are essentially free so kids buy them for 1-2 games per year. Pitt can do this because they have all those unsold upper deck seats so they can have 6-7K student ticket no shows up ther3 for all but 1 game per year.

That is a big increase from the old alottment. That said, they are essentially free so kids buy them for 1-2 games per year. Pitt can do this because they have all those unsold upper deck seats so they can have 6-7K student ticket no shows up ther3 for all but 1 game per year.

No, it isn't.

The students have been in the upper deck for all but one or two games this year. The last home game had a very impressive showing.

aTm gets well over 10K for their famous pep rallies on Friday nights. If they didn't hold them in their bb arena, they'd get 30K. Crazy.

If by "like 9600" you mean "around 12000" then yeah, like that.

The number of seats blocked off for students is not materially different today than it was in 2001.
It was 9000 when Heinze opened and it remained that way until 2019. My section above the student section was "overflow" for students for some games but many seats like mine were season ticket holders. Now its designated student only because they added thousands of additional student season tix.

Regardless, for a school criticized for its attendance and lack of fan interest, Pitt's student allotment and attendance is on the plus side of college football.

Regardless, for a school criticized for its attendance and lack of fan interest, Pitt's student allotment and attendance is on the plus side of college football.
Its allotment is pretty much irrelevant. They can make it 30K if they wanted to because those seats are going unsold anyway. If we played in a 45K seat stadium, the alottment would probably be around 7500 or so and tickets would be more expensive to prevent kids from buying season tickets for 1 game.

As for attendance, its probably below average by P5 standards. Probably average by ACC standards.

Its allotment is pretty much irrelevant. They can make it 30K if they wanted to because those seats are going unsold anyway. If we played in a 45K seat stadium, the alottment would probably be around 7500 or so and tickets would be more expensive to prevent kids from buying season tickets for 1 game.

As for attendance, its probably below average by P5 standards. Probably average by ACC standards.
I think it is better than this. I would think in the ACC, as for student attendance, only Clemson, VT and FSU are ahead of us.

I think it is better than this. I would think in the ACC, as for student attendance, only Clemson, VT and FSU are ahead of us.
You forgot NC State.

Also, I would guess Louisville's is better and also UNC. So about average like I said. Better than BC, Syr, Miami, GT, UVa, Duke, Wake but that isnt a high bar

You forgot NC State.

Also, I would guess Louisville's is better and also UNC. So about average like I said. Better than BC, Syr, Miami, GT, UVa, Duke, Wake but that isnt a high bar
I dunno. Haven't seen many of their games. And I don't think Lville. No. Louisville is literally "Louisville's team".

I dunno. Haven't seen many of their games. And I don't think Lville. No. Louisville is literally "Louisville's team".
NC State has an SECish fanbase. I have been to games down there. There is no possible way Pitt students attend more than NC State. Louisville, I am not sure of. They have better overall fan support/school pride than Pitt so I am just guessing on that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT