ADVERTISEMENT

Style of offense

Oct 6, 2012
Will not work. The Steelers and Panthers are both finding this out the hard way. Wisconsin is finding it out as well. Traditional offenses do not work in modern football. You can run two wides or 5 it doesn't matter but conservative run first play action offense is dead in modern FB. Saban realized this and was smart enough to make a change and he had the best players.

Is PN going to be stupid and not grow with the times if so Pitt is going to regret giving him a extension

This happens every year. Even last with WMU. He will win 7-8 this year and make a minor bowl. That’s all administration cares about. Pitt will never be a football factory. Last year is something that will happen once every 5-7 years. That’s what we are. What can you do??

It's because the offense line is absolute garbage.

Narduzzi needs to learn how to recruit those guys better.

There's no playmakers at WR. Wayne can catch anything and Mumford is a solid route runner but after that. Nothing

The running backs are injury prone

Again the offensive line is complete garbage

Virginia is having the same problem. Didn't Armstrong set the ACC record for total yards last season? Now they can't score or move the ball.

Virginia is having the same problem. Didn't Armstrong set the ACC record for total yards last season? Now they can't score or move the ball.
Offensive co is the most important position in football. A good one can make average players look good and a bad one can make above average players look bad. Great players will still look good but Pitt doesn't get enough great players. Like I said nick Saban realized this about 8 years ago. Watch a interview where they ask him about it

The OC wasn't the one turning the ball over, getting penalized 15 times or giving up on D in the final 5 minutes.

The OC wasn't the one turning the ball over, getting penalized 15 times or giving up on D in the final 5 minutes.

He was the one who kept trying to force his beloved big formation most of the game. That caused more defensive players to be near the ball hit the RBs and less room for WRs to get open. It's for short yardage, not for the entire game.

The OC is the biggest issue with the team. He cannot design plays in modern college offense. Yeah, the players made mistakes but that is pretty common in college ball.

Why was Bart on the bench on the 3rd and 6 in 2nd half - GT INT? That's coaching.

The routes being run are not allowing the players to get open.

Will not work. The Steelers and Panthers are both finding this out the hard way. Wisconsin is finding it out as well. Traditional offenses do not work in modern football. You can run two wides or 5 it doesn't matter but conservative run first play action offense is dead in modern FB. Saban realized this and was smart enough to make a change and he had the best players.

Is PN going to be stupid and not grow with the times if so Pitt is going to regret giving him a extension
Highlighted the main part for you.

Actually, Pitt lost tonight because they were stupid and tried to come out throwing the ball against a team with a piss poor run defense.

The OC is the biggest issue with the team. He cannot design plays in modern college offense. Yeah, the players made mistakes but that is pretty common in college ball.

Why was Bart on the bench on the 3rd and 6 in 2nd half - GT INT? That's coaching.

The routes being run are not allowing the players to get open.
The recievers also aren't very good. When Jared Wayne is your #1 guy, you have big time talent issues. When the coaches are bringing guys like Bub Means in late, that says a lot.

Reactions: pbrad
The recievers also aren't very good. When Jared Wayne is your #1 guy, you have big time talent issues. When the coaches are bringing guys like Bub Means in late, that says a lot.

I think they are good enough to be part of a top 25 team. While I didn’t expect #14 to be Addison, I expected him to emerge more. Wayne is a great #2. There is other talent, and of course #86 at TE

Biggest mystery to me is the line. I know there are injuries, but it’s mostly the same guys. Slovis needs great line play. He doesn’t get through his reads quick enough, and also doesn’t keep plays alive very well.

He was the one who kept trying to force his beloved big formation most of the game. That caused more defensive players to be near the ball hit the RBs and less room for WRs to get open. It's for short yardage, not for the entire game.
This is the key. Its not just the big formation it's every one knows we don't throw it deep. Everyone is bunching it up. They are now where the Steelers offense has been for 2 years teams are going to tighten up on everything.

The players made a ton of mistakes and if they don't make them they win this game but this style of offense makes everything harder. That's why Saban went away from it despite having the most talent in CFB

That’s true.

He was the one responsible for producing under 100 yards and 7 points in the first half, going 2 for 12 on 3rd down against one of the worst defenses in P5
This is the key. Its not just the big formation it's every one knows we don't throw it deep. Everyone is bunching it up. They are now where the Steelers offense has been for 2 years teams are going to tighten up on everything.

The players made a ton of mistakes and if they don't make them they win this game but this style of offense makes everything harder. That's why Saban went away from it despite having the most talent in CFB
At certain points in the second half GT was playing the functional equivalent of a 4-4 defense with a 1 high safety. Just begging to get hit over the top. We never even thought about it. But the routes were all run in front of their DBs all night. What kind of OC doesn’t take some shots in that situation?

I've been preaching the same thing since the first half of the WVU game. Very painful to watch.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

I turned the game off before those final five minutes. But it had to be deflating for the D to almost completely shut down GT for the first three quarters only to have the offense struggle to accomplish anything all game. Not excusing poor effort but I find it hard to pin too much blame on the D. We should have been up by 30 going into the 4th quarter.

Highlighted the main part for you.

Actually, Pitt lost tonight because they were stupid and tried to come out throwing the ball against a team with a piss poor run defense.
LOL. You are clueless. They threw three times on the first series on awful play calls, then went right back to the power crap.

Stop simping for Cignetti.

I am a fan of Pat Narduzzi leading the Pitt football program, but the hiring of cignetti was a terrible mistake on his part.
Pitt had the opportunity to move the program forward into a consistent top team in the ACC Coastal and a threat to compete for the conference. Instead they make a boring OC hire and they fell back into their inconsistencies. The team has gotten worse each week this year, and I know there are injuries, but you should still be able to beat a GT team at home a week after they fired their coach.

That was the first posession. They tried to run plenty. Just put it on the ground when they did.
Yeah, but they should have been running the ball from the first possession.

Can't let teams like GT hang around and gain confidence. Besides, Tech isn't built to come from behind. It was a stupid game plan offensively.

I am a fan of Pat Narduzzi leading the Pitt football program, but the hiring of cignetti was a terrible mistake on his part.

Same thing happened with the hiring of Watson. He seems to align best with unimaginative, run heavy OCs. But I'm not even sure I can call Cignetti that given how he didn't come out running the ball last night. I feel like continuously running it down their throat early would have payed huge dividends.

In reality PN probably needs to stick to hiring OCs he doesn't get along with, lol.

I was a guy who was highly critical of Kenny Pickett in his first three years I even said he was garbage. Then Mark Whipple comes in has a so so first year with Kenny and then all of a sudden turns Kenny into a great college quarterback. He did this with a very advanced pro style offense in terms of the passing concepts. The route tree was unique and the ability to make match ups at positions that you want it really help this offense at thrive. I never had a problem with Mark Whipple and his offense, but I said the only thing that this office needs to do is run the ball 8 to 12 more times a game. Coach Narduzzi somehow said we need to run the ball 20 to 25 times more game lol. And that is a laugh or because all they had to do was just tell Mark Whipple call 8 to 12 more run plays a game. You would’ve had a office of coordinator who could develop quarterbacks in an office that receivers know they can thrive in and you feature one and two backs that can run your system. Now we have this office that doesn’t have any of the intricate passing game and it shows

Yeah, but they should have been running the ball from the first possession.

Can't let teams like GT hang around and gain confidence. Besides, Tech isn't built to come from behind. It was a stupid game plan offensively.
Not sure if you noticed but we were almost completely ineffectual running the ball against the putrid GT run defense, especially when Izzy was in the game.

That vaunted offensive line is disgraceful. I never would have thought after everyone returned coming off of all that success last season that it could be this bad. But clearly it is. That unit has taken a huge step backwards under Cignasty.

Same thing happened with the hiring of Watson. He seems to align best with unimaginative, run heavy OCs. But I'm not even sure I can call Cignetti that given how he didn't come out running the ball last night. I feel like continuously running it down their throat early would have payed huge dividends.

In reality PN probably needs to stick to hiring OCs he doesn't get along with, lol.
It's not just running the ball, it has to do with the overall offensive play calling. There are few, if any, passes that are thrown down the field, especially down the middle of the field.

It's not just running the ball, it has to do with the overall offensive play calling. There are few, if any, passes that are thrown down the field, especially down the middle of the field.
Maybe that is why everything seems so slow to me? All the passes seem to be comebacks or out routes that don’t go over the middle.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
LOL. You are clueless. They threw three times on the first series on awful play calls, then went right back to the power crap.

Stop simping for Cignetti.
Awful play calls? Okay, but on first down Wayne was wide open on a crossing route, Slovis pumped faked and didn't pull the trigger. 2nd down, Bradley let ball hit him in the chest on what would have been a first down. 3rd down- ball was tipped.

The passing game sucks right now. That's obvious. A big problem is that these guys simply don't have much experience playing together, and they don't have any cohesion. Part of that is injuries, part of it is they don't have any playmakers at WR. Play calling last night wasn't very good either, and last night was a garbage effort all the way around.

BTW, first 3 possessions, Pitt ran the ball twice.

Ole Miss had 61 rushing attempts against Tech. Cignetti played right into their hands last night, without even attempting deep shots to stretch the field.

Reactions: gary2
Not sure if you noticed but we were almost completely ineffectual running the ball against the putrid GT run defense, especially when Izzy was in the game.

That vaunted offensive line is disgraceful. I never would have thought after everyone returned coming off of all that success last season that it could be this bad. But clearly it is. That unit has taken a huge step backwards under Cignasty.
It became pretty painfully clear by the TN game that the OL returned because none of them had any serious pro prospects, nor were any of them even pursued to transfer to a better college program. It turns out it is easy to stay where you are when you have no better alternatives.

We ran all over GT last year, I guess Cig thought we could just repeat. Maybe these coaches are just not as prepared as they should be.

Maybe that is why everything seems so slow to me? All the passes seem to be comebacks or out routes that don’t go over the middle.
It does feel slow and sluggish. Earlier in the day, I watched Baylor - Oklahoma State play and it was big plays all game long. Game was very exciting and enjoyable to watch, can't imagine how enjoyable it was for the players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT